#273: Summer TV Roundup

Colin Ferguson joins us from Vancouver while filming season five of Eureka. We take a quick trip through all the awesome recent season finales and shows returning to TV this summer. And we run down the week in geek, including the only food truck to complete the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs and the sad final communication with the Spirit rover on Mars, and Google’s wallet-grab. Thanks to The Operator for again dropping his knowledge on our TV rundown.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/galacticawatercooler/GWC-Podcast-273.mp3
http://galacticwatercooler.com/2011/05/29/273-summer-tv-roundup/

Woohoo! yay! Sunday afternoon GWC-liciousness :slight_smile:

Eureka is a show that I always enjoy seeing when it’s on but that I haven’t invested in a full watch yet. Looking forward to this interview–the usual result of your guest spots is that I end up watching the show.

It’s been interesting to hear the TV discussion - so many of the shows you guys are talking about that I haven’t watched yet have been in my Netflix queue for ages. The problem is choosing which one to watch next! :stuck_out_tongue:

Lots of goodies this summer and Colin is always a fantastic interview. I was sold on him in the Eureka pilot then he started his commentary type podcasts and he became a demi-god for genre telly:)

I see almost every launch from Orlando. I was in Iowa for this last one though.

And here’s the Grillenium Falcon

Sean -

+1 on the intro as the best part of Justified. We have a running joke about the “evil chicken” in the intro.

Wow! Thanks for playing my call guys right at the beginning of the show. I thought you were going straight to the Eureka thing! I remember telling you on FB where I was when Challenger blew up. Odd sort of symmetry really.

Is that in Orlando? I remember getting the best cheesesteak on the East Coast at a place called “The Deli Planet” in Orlando. The place was decorated not with Superman gear though, but as an Area 51 homage.

Superior Gulls?

On the lunch wagon thing, Here in NYC the trend is still going strong, with new trucks coming in with all sorts of stuff

Summer TV 2011: What to watch, when to watch it

Trend is also still on in DC. In fact, a local synagogue/Jewish community center just launched what I hear is an AMAZING kosher deli truck. I can’t wait to try it. We also get a lobster roll truck in the summer time that is amazing. My favorite remains the Cuban truck, run by a former Miami chef. It tastes like home.

Audra wanted to say something about Kessel when Chuck mentioned Parsecs. I dunno what but maybe it might interest her that “Kessel” is German for “kettle/urn/bowl”. Haven’t continued much further on, but covering the Star Tours opening, would have been too much Star Wars Goodness in this episode, eh? :smiley:

Half-time point observations:

The comparison of the Mars-Rovers with R2-D2 isn’t far fetched. During the shooting of the Original Trilogy, he also got stuck many times on set/location and couldn’t move any further. Just like the Rovers. To “fix” that, sometimes they attached a string to him and pulled R2 during the takes. :smiley:

When “Remote wipes” were mentioned, I had to think back to Dollhouse. :frowning: Anybody else?

And since Colin Ferguson last called from Bulgaria, the relatives from my mother’s side live there and I follow a bit on their film industry. Sean might find it interesting, that the main shooting location of the new Conan movie was Bulgaria.

second dat … Justified is excellent TV.

Walton Goggins’ work as Boyd Crowder is very very evil/good :slight_smile:

I LOVE Boyd, he’s not really a good guy but he’s very loyal. That makes up for a lot IMHO, I’ll watch the show just to hear him walk through a difficult situation with bible talk in a southern accent followed by thinly veiled threat of violence.

Perfect.

//youtu.be/OZ4thirAzhc

Jeez guys, you’re killing me. I barely have enough time to catch up on all the stuff I’ve missed in the last 10 years, (still haven’t finished Farscape and haven’t started season 2 of SG1) much less start watching new stuff. I guess I’ll just have to live vicariously through you every week:) Thanks.

Like in the mail I send all three of you (Sean responded) during the time travel arc, I’m totally backing The Operator that you catch up with Fringe! The first few episodes are a bit wooden and the show is still trying to find its feet. But then it picks up pace and if you aren’t engrossed into the show at the end of season 2, you might ban me or whatever you like.
Dunno if you have the same sense of humor like me, but this short scene with John Noble (Denethor from LOTR) will give you a sense of his genius/crazy character as Dr. Walter Bishop:

//youtu.be/4tO1XwepJok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tO1XwepJok

Because of you, I’ve now gotten Eureka and will start it in the next few weeks. Have only watched some bits and pieces on German television and recognized James Callis as a soldier from the 50s, or am I way off?