#273: Summer TV Roundup

Vagenda…ROFL :smiley:

Walter is just awesomeness

For a while my ringtone was the opening theme for Justified. (Now it’s Fringe, the 80s style one, but I think I’d be switching it to GoT pretty soon. I’m promiscuous with my ringtones.)

I’m going to be speak up for The X Files. I can’t speak for the mythology arc (because I gave up on the show after S6/7 when it became blindingly obvious Carter had no idea what the mythology is. Mostly I think it just got way too convoluted and silly, which isn’t surprising considering how long the show ended up being), but a lot of its standalone episodes were fabulous - with some being absolute classics (I especially love the Darin Morgan ones which were just so intriguingly written), and that was something I think the show really excelled in doing - really great one episode stories about the things that can’t be explained along with some really witty dialogue and much needed humor, which was I thought an essential part of the show that made you care about these 2 special agents as they investigate crazy stuff and some very memorable monsters people still talk about today. So I agree with the sentiment that Xfiles is predominantly a Monsters of the Week show, but I also think it’s one of the best written MotW show (well, at least up to S6/7) that attempted a lot of different genres - some better than others - within the construct of the show. (And the mythology portions of the show were pretty solid for the first 4 seasons or so, so that’s not too shabby.)

To compare, I think Fringe is doing an excellent job of its mythology arc, but its standalones almost always pales in comparison to The X Files (and to its own mythology episodes) - which I think is why Fringe wasn’t particularly great at the beginning when it was trying too hard to emulate that X Files-ness and sadly, falling short (they’re not awful, but the bulk of them aren’t exactly memorable in the way XFiles were). Fringe only became a great show for me after it concentrated more and more on the mythology - which is clearly the strong suit for their writers - rather than MotW.

Most anticipated summer show:

Breaking Bad. It really has been too long. I CANNOT WAIT.

Torchwood, yes. I love the concept of the season, and I’m interested to see how the new cast members will integrate with Jack, Gwen and Rhys.

Interesting take on X-Files :slight_smile:

Hell yeah on Breaking Bad. That is great TV.

Also “Rescue Me” final season comes in July I believe. Not Scifi but /shrug

His OSSIMNESS The Reverend Sean, mentioned ALPHAS on the 'cast. Here’s a taste

//youtu.be/0zHxFaFAU1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zHxFaFAU1w

^^^ Anybody with the superhuman prowess to guide a speeding bullet through ductwork can sure kill the subject in a more subtle, effective way… OR use the mindpowers to steer the bullet up his own arse. I cannot abide that particular superpower.

Kessel One is a Danish Vodka. That’s what Audra was thinking of.

Where in Whorlando was that? (Geez, I miss Ronnie’s)

Nah, after they mentioned it in the cast, I looked it up on Google.

Ketel One. As in, “He drank the Ketel One in 12 parsecs.” It was (rightfully) the hot vodka until a bunch of brands with fancier bottles came along.

http://www.ketelone.com/

You’re right. I confused my liquor with my SF. :oops:

I would have to second the defense of X-Files. At the time, it was a novel approach to the Monster of the Week show. I enjoyed the dialogue and interplay of the believer vs the non-believer. As a budding scientist in the 90s, I enjoyed the approach of de-bunking, or attempting to de-bunk the myths of alien abduction, vampires, werewolves, etc.

The charm of the show lied in the power of faith. Mulder wanted to believed in these “X-files”, but Scully was there to dissuade the viewer & the FBI from this belief. And as viewers, we were never told whether the X-file truly existed or not. We were given the perceived facts, and it was left up to us to decide.

Vote for your favorite GWC Podcast #273 quote!

http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showthread.php?t=13785