#265: Non-Interference Part II, Chris Hardwick

We’re joined by comedian, author, and all-round awesome guy Chris Hardwick — the Nerdist! We take a look at the prime directive in action via an episode from each Trek TV series. And we run down the week in geek, including a new (heartening) Green Lantern trailer, a rundown of this year’s online April Fools Day pranks, a new Honor Harrington novel, a new HBO series based on Game of Thrones, Leonard Nimoy’s announcement that he’ll voice Sentinel Prime in the upcoming Transformers flick, and Wonder Woman’s new pants. Don’t miss Chris Hardwick’s upcoming live shows: April 8th at Hu Ke Lau in Chicopee, MA, April 9th at The Wilbur Theater in Boston, MA, and April 15-17 at the Improv in Irvine, CA.

Direct Download
Blog Post

Chris Hardwick?? Uber Sweet!!!

I will wait and listen tomorrow after work. Too many distractions tonight. It’s gonna be OSSIM!

Well, I’m downloading the podcast now, but I thought the next Honor Harrington novel wasn’t until end of this year (unless it’s the short story collection). Guess I’ll find out what you’re talking about tomorrow at work or so.

Holy Craaaaaaaaaaaaap, The Nerdist himself! Can’t wait to start listening…

and to see if you guys have corrected your views of the PD. ; )

I’ve read this paragraph four times and there’s a disturbing amount of awesomeness packed in there.

> Is our community developed enough to handle this level of awesome?

> Will it alter the course our development? YES!! Yes it will!!

> STAR TREK?? What is that?

> Pants??? :smiley:

Well I for one have not sir :slight_smile: Still think its a load of hooey for all practical purposes. But then again I’m not the big-brain type like Chuck and Audra.

RE: Green Lantern

Yes, the enhanced trailer footage looks incredible. The first trailer had me a little wary. I knew I’d still see it, but I was worried that they just weren’t going to “get” Green Lantern. After seeing this trailer, those worries were completely crushed. The passing of the ring, the oath, Oa, the hundreds of alien corps members, green light constructs (especially the chain gun) … it just looked wonderful. And yeah, I got chills with the oath.

You forgot Actor! Who could forget his performance as “Dangerous” Dan Inwood on the Spring Break episode of Married With Children? :cool:

Chuck doesn’t like Bank Gothic? That’s the Battlestar font…

True. In a very un-Sean-like maneuver I will come to Chuck’s defense on this one, Bank Gothic was very popular there for about 3 or 4 years and you saw it everywhere, plus we were doing a lot of design work and people asked for it a lot.

It’s a good font and well spaced but if you’re beaten over the head with anything enough times you will tend to shrink from it after a while.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Sean who picks on Chuck

I don’t think In the Pale Moonlight really had anything to do with the Prime Directive. You made some good points, but when you get down to it, a war (unless it’s a civil war) isn’t really an internal issue. There are some internal aspects to it, but it’s primarily a diplomatic issue, so the Prime Directive really wouldn’t apply.

As to the Voyager episode you talked about, I haven’t seen it in a long time. Did they specifically mention the Prime Directive in relation to it? I’d be more inclined to say the Kazon shouldn’t have replicators because they’d use them to make stuff to conquer other planets. When you get down to it, they’re really represented more like bullies than anything else.

That’s awesome for an in-demand cat like Hardwick to make time for a smaller outfit. Class act.

It’s a good font and well spaced but if you’re beaten over the head with anything enough times you will tend to shrink from it after a while.
I now return you to your regularly scheduled Sean who picks on Chuck

I guess that’s a fair point. Anything overused enough is annoying.
As long as you continue to give Chuck crap in the future we’ll allow it. :slight_smile:

According to my highly scientific study, this image should be Chuck’s least favorite thing in the universe:

Or, at the very least, the penultimate of his least favorite things. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cut the sleeves off and it’s a T-shirt for Sean.

Heh. This should be in the store.

giggle I just got your avatar. Clever. :cool:

Ugh. You beat me to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giggle I just got your avatar. Clever.

Wait, I just got yours! Good pull!