#262: Bonus Time Travel

In this short bonus podcast we extend our time travel arc by imagining how we’d become evil time travelers. And we run down the week in geek, including the new Voltron movie, the Space Shuttle Discovery’s last mission, and lots of gaming news. Also, we offer some last minute news about this week’s GWC International Meetup in Texas.

Direct DownloadBlog Post

Short(er) but SWEET podcast.

Comments:

1. I want an aPod!

2. I’m stoked about seeing everyone at the Meetup this weekend! Especially everyone attending for the first time!

3. My cheeks already hurt from smiling cause the Meetup is only 3 DAYS AWAY!!!

I am glad Sean gave us first time Meetup attendees a warning about not getting sleep over the weekend. I’ll make sure to sleep till Friday morning… starting now.

In the future:

Future Self: Why is the house empty?
Wife: Don’t you remember back in the day when you came home with awesome stuff

Future Self: Doh! I knew I should have left a note…

It’s either that or the Bill and Ted - I didn’t lose the keys.

Red Riding Hood - My what big teeth you have

next scene - You see her wearing said teeth around her neck.

Nice podcast - short and sweet. I look forward to joining you on Ustream/Skype.

To get resources I would go back to one of the American gold rushes and steal all the gold. Then I’d go back one day and steal all the gold. Then I’d go back one day and steal all the gold. Then I’d go back one day and steal all the gold, until the gold rush hadn’t started yet. Then I’d go around the future scouting out when it’s worth the most and sell it.

Alternatively, steal Fort Knox a lot. Maybe after having funding to hire spec ops dudes from the future and stuff you know.

Actually hell, go back like 30 seconds before you arrived the last time. Screw that day nonsense.

Dumptrucks. Dumptrucks full of cash.

Also anyone who’s played Chrono Trigger should recognize this scheme lol

I loooove my Nova Armour, and my Moon Armour! :cool:

Absolutely loved the Adventures of Audra: Evil time-traveling Liberal.

Next week’s episode, Audra goes back in time and purchases Arabia. She uses the wealth of Oil to fund social programs around the globe. Fill your car and feed a starving Republican.

I loved the idea of the evil time travel plots. I sorta was thinking along the lines of Sean to be honest.

If you say it right, “crapton” sounds like a real unit of measurement.

That’s pretty much what I would do, except with more nudity.

I would totally love to be Audra the Evil Time-Travelling Liberal’s companion. We could help people, and stuff! :wink:

I don’t think anyone is really thinking diabolical enough. I postulate that by going back in time you automatically change everything maybe not much but what was will no longer be. So if that’s the case I will leave the past alone (for now) and travel to the future with my time machine and steal the tardis from the dr I would then place my time machine inside the tardis and set them both hurtling though time but in opposite directions (I’d tardis back in time original machine forward) thus creating a bag of holding inside a bag of holding effect destroying the space time continuum all together!

Alernatively I suppose I would do the Red Dwarf thing and just travel though time living in opulence in the company of history’s greatest douchbags. Good thing I’m not evil

I am only halfway through the podcast, but with the discussions of flying cars, penultimate, and Emily, it seems like a Greatest Hits podcast. I’m hoping that in the second half of the cast, the crew talks about wooden ships, alpacas, and naked Tai Chi.

I hope everybody has a good time at the meetup! I look forward to hearing the live podcast.

Holy FRAK!!! <<seanscream>>!!! Homie you quoted two of my favorite movies evah!!! Dorkness Rising AND 1776!!!

I most humbly bow to your awesomeitude.

Um, hello! You can’t time travel WITHOUT nudity. Did you just all of a sudden forget the lessons Terminator taught us?

I loved Audra trying really hard to be evil, and utterly failing.

I meant nudity of other people.

Que coincidencia, me, too!

I saved this cast for my post-meetup flight, knowing I’d need something to ease the sads. So here’s what I thot when I listened: I would go back in time to 2009 and 2010 and go to the first and second GWC meetups!

After I did that, I would mostly just go engage in time travel tourism. And maybe make some investments that I know would pay, but who needs money when you have the power of consequence-less time travel?

Great ark again. Time travel…

-About the Resource issue. Am I the only one that saw the big flaw at using Present Cash to try and purchase Past Stock ? Where would you find 1930 era dollars bills ? Nobody will want the bill printed in 2011. (side question: is currency actually destroyed to prevent such temporal tempering ?) We could buy gold. But then, is an once of gold worth more back then vs today ?

-About paradoxes. Over the podcast, it was assumed the time line was linear. What if its not ? What if it’s a multiverse (a la Stargate) where multiple you exists. You v1 could jump to You v2’s time line and kill him before he can jump to yours (and kill you…) and no paradox happens.

If the time line is linear, the easiest way to avoid the “I forgot to invent the machine” paradox is not to invent it. Steal it from your smart neighbor. Since he has invented it, he always will invent it. That would be the only constant that you can’t screw up in your travel.

I forget my other comments…

It would be a pain, but you could get together a bunch of 10-year-old bills, then go back 10 years, and trade them to someone for 10-year-old bills. Repeat 8 times and you’re in the 30s :slight_smile:

We could buy gold. But then, is an once of gold worth more back then vs today ?

Yes. Inflation makes things cost more as time goes by, generally.

That makes me think of a good Evil Thing To Do. Find a record of the guy who found the biggest gold deposit in California, and then go back to that point in spacetime and take it first. Or let him dig it all out, kill him, and load it into your time machine and bring it back to present time.

-About paradoxes. Over the podcast, it was assumed the time line was linear. What if its not ? What if it’s a multiverse (a la Stargate) where multiple you exists. You v1 could jump to You v2’s time line and kill him before he can jump to yours (and kill you…) and no paradox happens.

If the time line is linear, the easiest way to avoid the “I forgot to invent the machine” paradox is not to invent it. Steal it from your smart neighbor. Since he has invented it, he always will invent it. That would be the only constant that you can’t screw up in your travel.

My brain just paradoxed itself.