#255: Animation Arc, Part III

We wrap up our animation arc with Appleseed Ex Machina. And we run down the week in geek including Lucas/Spielberg/Rogan’s 2012 fun, Anne Hathaway’s possible Catwoman appearance in the next Batman flick, discussion of the first X-Men First Class cast photos, one guy’s $300 superhero short, our feelings about the Comcast-NBC marriage, Square Enix’s FF XIII-2 release date announcement, and your new chance to play Leisure Suit Larry – on the iPad.

Direct Download
Blog Post

House
is
AWESOME!!!

One of my favorite shows on TV (and admitedly the reason I watch Chuck in my DVR queue)

BTW - check you the premiere Ep of House…look at teh teachers friend…yeah…it’s a dirty dirty skinjob

a warning for chuck

Black swan

this is a good movie, even great movie; but this is also requiem for dream level disturbing. so yes there was the hot scene. when one ballerina did awesome R-rated stuff to the other; then there was the other scene that started off hot and turned real uncomfortable real fast.

fair warning just be preprepared for requiem.

oh gods. really? Didn’t watch Requiem cause I didn’t want that level of disturbance. Still. Really would like to see BS.

Wouldnt say Requiem level…but yeah…it’s kinda messed up…

But when Sean said “Might be worth your time…”…yeah, there are scenes are DEF worth your time…

gig
e
dy

well there is no giant… good god there showing that to me in a giant montage to lux aeterna kind of way, in the please bring me bleach for my corneas. but the entire movie is uncomfortable to watch.

again very good; Natalie Portman’s acting was incredible. the dancing was great although i’m not into ballet but it looked great to the layman.

still its messed up.

Black Swan is my personal choice for best movie of 2010. I think in truth it has more in common with Aranofsky’s “The Wrestler” than it does with Requiem for a Dream. IMHO Aranofsky is my generation’s Stanley Kubrick. Everything he’s done I have loved and consider a modern masterpiece, and yes that includes The Fountain.

I liked The Fountain, whats wrong that one? Of course, I went to see it cuz it had Rachel Weiz in it and thought it would be a little more light hearted than it wound up being - but still, a good movie.

As for Black Swan, I’d agree it’s more like the Wrestler than Requiem as well. Requiem was more substance abuse drama and swirling the drain than the other two which represented more of a study on how people mentally adjust to (and away from) their lives and those of the people around them. Of course thats completely MHO.

For the record sir, I would whole-heartedly agree Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman scene (u know the one) yeah, worth it in a total “giggity” kind of way… wait… yeah, still worth it.

Just sayn’

I would just like to say, for the record, the inspiration for Star Wars was “Hidden Fortress”. I know it wasn’t “Seven Samurai” because there wasn’t 7 Jedi’s. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I would say the sound Audra was talking about which is usually romanised to an “r” is more like a combination of the English “r,d,l”

? ? ? ? ? ?
bu-ri-a-re-o-su

It is the same with “Arigato”. Most people hit that “r” and come off sounding like a pirate. Remember in Kill Bill when Hanzo says, “You say Arigato the way I say Arigato”.

I’m about an hour into the cast so far (great show as usual) and just wanted to make some quick comments.

RE: Black Swan - Go see it! It’s an absolutely brilliant film that takes you such a roller coaster of emotions, also the final 45 minutes are so incredibly well done that you may have to catch your breath once the credits roll. It has a few disturbing scenes, but nothing too bad. I’d say it is much more of a psychological thriller than anything else.

It’s Aronofsky at his best if you ask me. I sometimes wonder what the latest Batman films would have been like if the rumours about Aronofsky doing a Batman: Year One came true. We’ll never know~

RE: FF14… sadly it is going to be an MMO. The 15 year old me that discovered Square’s gems like FF6 and Chrono Trigger weeps at my current inability to enjoy anything they put out lately. :frowning:

There’s a Black Swan discussion going on in the non-sci fi thread, also. The movie is brilliant and great, but it’s sure as shite not fun – aside from one notable scene that’s already been mentioned. In the context of the movie, it’s hard to surrender it; you’re waiting for someone to bite somebody’s leg off.

Content is Wrestler-esque, but it’s a harrowing experience like Requiem.

Requiem made Onion AV Club’s list of great films you don’t need to see more than once. It might be the definitive anti-drug statement.

The Wrestler is totally awesome. As someone who grew up reading wrestling mags and listening to 80s metal, I was nearly in tears (of joy) by the time the opening credits ended.

Hey Chuck, I just listened to the cast today and heard you mention my Tweet. Funny, I had no idea you were doing that, I had just made an account minutes before and I was testing it out. I guess you could say I lost my Twitter virginity with you.
I’ve found a few interesting people to follow due to the suggestion to see who other people are following. I wouldn’t have bothered had it not been for GWC, and in that spirit I’m gonna check out some anime. Thanks again, guys.

I let out a ridiculously high-pitched giggle when Chuck mentioned my (rather awkwardly worded) tweet, because at the time I thought “I should send a followup tweet to clarify what I meant by ‘sci-fi and fantasy snacks’, like an ice planet or lembas bread,” but then decided “nah, they’ll figure it out or just say something or other.” XD

Nothing wrong with The Fountain, however it was the film that he got the least love for. I think that film, like many of Kubrick’s will age well however. Me personally, I love it. As far as Black Swan’s similarity to The Wrestler, well that comes down to the fact that both films originally come from a story that Aranofsky was working on about a relationship between a wrestler and a ballerina. That sorta mutated into these two films.

So when Sean said, “I think Beef and I are going to get cut together” the first thing that flashed through my mind was: “They’re going to get circumcised together?! Jesus!”

I can’t be the only one who thought that . . . right? Right?

Nope that was only you

Yeah, I did also.

Nope I thought the same thing…and had to pause the cast until I quit laughing!

Younglings… phrase should have been “going to get inked together” then us oldlings would have known what was meant. :smiley:

That makes 3 of us.

Funny that vertical integration in hollywood should come up – i just finished an economics paper on the the “filmed entertainment” industry. Vertical integration is definitely scary, but it has been around for a long time, and isn’t just NBC. All the major tv networks and studios are owned by larger conglomerates:

Fox properties are owned by New Corp, NBC and Universal Pictures are owned by General Electric, Columbia pictures is owned by Sony, Warner Bros - Time Warner Inc; CBS and Paramount - Viacom Inc; ABC anything with the word Disney is owned by Walt Disney.

These are just the studios we’ve heard of, but the thousands of other smaller studios, radio, tv stations etc. are all owned by these same conglomerates.

So the Comcast - NBC deal is a change of leadership, but not a change to a new structure.

Make it 4…

The fact that VI has been around for so long is what makes this even scarier if you ask me. There is a reason anti-monopoly laws exist and this is the kind of precedent that could end up having very real world consequences in the near future.

A lot of the “concessions” that Comcast promised as condition for FCC approval for the deal are also worded very, very vaguely. The internet is becoming (or already has for most people become) the backbone of media content delivery, and having a company control access to that media, and the creation of that media is a dangerous thing.

All this merger does is help Comcast/NBC muscle out their competition. I don’t imagine Comcast will allow a media streaming service like Netflix to be carrying any great NBC shows like Parks and Recreation in the near future. Why would they when they will have a stake in Hulu?

I don’t think it’s the end of the world, but I just think corporate consolidation doesn’t really help the general populous. Too much power in too few hands…