#255: Animation Arc, Part III

Two small things. I’m not an Avatar hater, per se, but I did think that the story was derivative, and wasn’t a huge fan of it (despite the excellent visuals). Most of my reaction isn’t due to the fact that it is derivative, but rather, the way in which it is derivative - for all its progressivism dealing with environmental issues and the military-industrial complex (thanks, Eisenhower, for the term!), in terms of race(or species, as it may be) and gender issues it was as conservative as they come, reproducing what I see as damaging myths about native cultures and their relationships to invaders. But I’ve said it all before. It doesn’t mean I think you’re a bad person or anything if you liked the movie - I just choose not to watch it again. There’s so much else out there that I’d rather watch!

Also, just a small clarification - Generation Y and Millenials are supposed to refer to the same group (of which I’m a part), roughly people born between 1980 and 2000. In the media that I consume I tend to see Millenial used more often, but I’m not sure that there’s really any consistency about it.

And of course, a book club plug! Check out The City & The City! And let us all know what you think :smiley:

Loved the cast today. Learned about “toon shading” which was cool, and really must see this movie. On a side note I would love to hear what Sean has to say about one of my favorite current Animators, Bill Plympton.

Also, thanks for playing my phone call! I must bring a copy of Zardoz for Audra when I go to the meetup. Also - Sean - at the end of Zardoz when Sean Connery and Charlotte Rampling are sitting there aging, look at what they are wearing and then look at a certain 1939 MGM movie with Judy Garland. Tell me what you see…

I don’t like Anime, don’t know Anime, don’t GET Anime, ultimately do not care about Anime – all respect to it – but I enjoyed the cast. It was a real education. Cheers!

Dig Plympton! Love the Spike & Mike’s Sick & Twisted video showcases!

Dude. Are you going to make me suffer thru nutslinging Zardoz just to get your reference?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! /vader

PS: watched Appleseed cuz it was available via NF streaming and enjoyed it. Have Ex Machina in the queue!

Here ya go, bkitty. A picture is worth a thousand sperm.

Here’s another famous nutslinger.

Connery is not wearing a nutslinger. He’s wearing a red nappy.

Borat on the other hand? Yeah that is disturbing. runs off to get eye bleach

On the recommendation of one of the ‘forumites’ (forgive me I forgot their name) I watched Waking Sleeping Beauty. It was quite an experience, I went through a whole myriad of emotions watching it. From nostalgic and happy to sad and despondent, and everywhere in between. It was enlightening and entertaining. Thank you whoever it was who mentioned it.

It left me wishing I had made better use of my childhood, I grew up within convenient driving distance to Disneyland; in fact on a good night we could see the evening fireworks show from our house. Anyways like most Californians we took the place for granted, and it wasn’t until we moved away that I really began to miss the place. Sorry I am rambling…

Anyways I remember very well one summer in particular I was in a gift shop there with money burning a hole in my pocket (as it often does in our youth). I had enough to either buy a really cool Disney pewter figurine or an animation cell from ‘The Jungle Book’. I of course bought the figurine… Sure it was cool and sat on my shelf for years (I have no idea where it is now) but if I had bought the cell I would have an actual ‘piece of animation history’ in my collection. Instead of a metal Goofy figurine in storage somewhere…

Oh the impetuousness of youth…:rolleyes:

Edit: And as for the Zardoz underoos… They are postapocolyptic DEPENDS for Barbarians! :smiley:

From #255:

Audra: Benson?
Sean: Robert Guillaume…
Audra: Was he the butler?
Sean: He was the lieutenant governor

In fairness to Audra, Benson started as the butler on Soap. Then the character moved to his own series, where he started as the governor’s head of household affairs. In later seasons he moved up to state budget director and then to lieutenant governor. In the end he ran for governor, with the outcome an unresolved cliffhanger from the final episode.

which annoyed me no end. Even as a wee lad, I was like WTF?

Absolutely correct! Welcome to the forum Jim!

Thanks. Hi, forum! Good to be here. I’ve been listening to the back library of podcasts for a while now; I suppose I’m overdue to participate here.

I’m just catching up with a whole bunch of podcasts I’ve missed, and I have to say, really enjoyed your choice of anime this week, as well as Sean’s hilarious sculpture class stories (I went to art school too, yet never had a sculpture teacher as colorful as Sean’s was. Then again, I only took one sculpting class - was never very good at it. However, I did make a most excellent tampon bra in that class. But that’s a story for another time.)

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH! Excellent choice. It was one of the first things I was exposed to at school in Sydney, and I really love it immensely (and not just because we got to watch it during class). It definitely sparked my heavy reading habits when I was young, so I’m always thankful for that series.

As for The Little Mermaid…memories! I went on my very first date with that movie. We were both maybe 8 or 9 at the time, and I don’t remember the circumstances as to how and why but my mom and his mom were there too, a few rows behind to better observe the awkward nature of awkward not even teens yet on awkward dates, and making it even more awkward by being there. And, somehow our movie snack at the time were mcnuggets (ah, the days of being spindly thin while eating every imaginable junk there is out there!). But anyway. Yeah, wasn’t The Little Mermaid the first of the modern Disney movies? It was the solid beginning to every princess/heroine figure story made by Disney afterwards.

I agree with this sentiment. I appreciated Avatar for its visuals, but as a story, it just didn’t resonate with me much. So yeah, I don’t think it means you’re a bad person if you like the movie , OR, if you don’t like the movie. :smiley:

Wow. I never imagined suspenders to be a huge component of that outfit.

I don’t feel like wikipedia-ing, but I believe it was. Disney began cranking them consistently through the 90s starting with TLM in the late 80s.