#254: Animation Arc, Part II

Since I had some down time this last weekend at Shooter Jr’s Hockey tournament in Pittsburgh, I took the oppotunity to view Secret of NIMH once again. It wasn’t in my film library so I downloaded it from iTunes last week prior to the trip thanks to a Santa iTunes gift card (see, no pirating intellectual property going on here :smiley: ).

I had forgotten how good the story was and how much alike Charlette’s Web it seemed to me (I know I’m not the first person to bring up those similarities). And although I enjoy the progression of major full-length animated films since the Secret of NIMH was released (Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Toy Story) the style in the Secret of NIMH is the one I will always most associate with my childhood (American Tail, Lady and the Tramp, The Jungle Book, Robin Hood, The Fox and the Hound).

But the story is really what held my attention as an adult. The betrayal, the whole colony working collectively to achieve a goal, the story behind why NIMH was involved and why the animals were at the developmental point that they were, and a mother desparately trying to save her son.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a prequel centering on Jonathan Brisby. The story from when the rats and mice are captured through their escape and setting up their society seems epic on its own to me. I wouldn’t mind seeing it in the original artistic animation style, either. Although I suspect more could be done with it in Computer Animation. I also don’t think that story would be a children’s tail. So I doubt the project would ever be realized.

Ah, such is the life of an adult interested in viewing animation.

~Shooter Out

Coulda been worse…it could be ZARDOS…IN 3D!!!

When the Wind Blows is fantastic! It’s based on an equally fine graphic novel (before graphic novels had a name) by Raymond Briggs, who also had another comic/wordless picture book “The Snowman” beautifully animated as well.

//youtu.be/ubeVUnGQOIk

(a taste)

If I remember correctly, it’s out of England, which brings up a good point.

It seems that traditionally outside America, animation has been thought of as a higher form of art. England, Canada, Belgium, France, Russia, The Czech Republic, China, Japan (among others) all have histories of taking their animation seriously. Here in the US this has not necessarily been the case.
I do think this has changed somewhat. Things like Pixar, The Simpsons, Adult Swim and direct to video things like The Animatrix have more American adults watching animation than ever. I just wish that would translate into a stronger desire for (and backing for) more adult animated features. The gorgeous “Triplets of Belleville” won an oscar and was an art house success…

//youtu.be/6fwM4hnsdSA

but the studio’s just released follow-up “The Illusionist” is still now struggling to find theaters to show it.

//youtu.be/mPdLrxxo4mg

I respect, more than enjoy, Watership Down. I loved the book, and think it’s a pretty solid film, but think the animation a little rough and melodramatic. Would have appreciated a little more subtlety in both style and “acting”.

I also don’t remember it (or Bakshi’s LOTR for that matter) making much money though. So I don’t actually pine for a previous time when animation was appreciated, I look forward to a future when it will be.

For more great “non-dumbed down” animation, don’t forget The Iron Giant frak party 1/20 @ 9pm

i"m blind!!!

THE GUN IS GOOD. THE PENIS IS EVIL.

Yeah, I own my own copy of Zardoz. It’s that awesome. JanitorBob, it made my head hurt, too, the first time. Now I just try to open my mind and let it all flow.

Well, in honesty, the rape scenes really freak me out and feel entirely egregious. But in the context of the movie’s larger point I can tolerate it.

Photonutz, how is it possible that the hooker boots mean more to you than the red leather onesie? Now there is an outfit that says, “I aim to cause some trouble.”

Great 'cast as always peeps.

At first, I didnt want to quite believe what Sean siad about Michelle Rodriquez. And then…

//youtu.be/8_jb31Tjxf8

At first, she’s hot…then she laughs…then shes sexy…then she laughs…then she’s coy…then she frreakin LAUGHS!

What’s wrong with her laugh?

I second that, I like it because it is genuine and heartfelt. Not guarded and calculating like most Hollywood bimbos, and she smiles like a real woman too. Not that ‘fake smile’ like so many ex models are taught to use, makes me wonder what Michelle would be like after a few drinks…:smiley:

Now if you really want to have your image of a kick ass movie character shattered just listen to the audio commentary on Resident Evil: Apocalypse. It blew my mind, I had no idea Milla was such a ditsy valley girl. Ugh, it was sooo disillusioning… :eek:

I have a shoe fetish. Sue me lol!

BTW, one of my favorite times I ever watched Zardoz was last year at the IFC Waverly. They show it there about once a month as a midnight movie, and the projectionist screwed up the opening segment so the image was upside down and reversed. I thought it went well with the film lol!

Another bit of fun is the director’s commentary on the DVD, where John Boorman (the man who conceived, wrote, directed, and created Zardoz) stops for a moment and states “You know, I don’t really know what this film is about”. Really? You wrote this film, directed it on your own property, and sold this to a movie studio, AND YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT THE FILM IS ABOUT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! O.o?

Gotta love John Boorman :slight_smile:

Well this is spooky - I’m listening to old podcasts of Wil Wheaton’s Radio Free Burrito and he talks very briefly about his role on the Secret of Nimh. He said that he had lots of fun on it, and that as it took a year between him recording and him seeing it, his voice had changed. It’s on episode 8 (around the 45-46 minute mark).

Didn’t Don Bluth do games like Space Ace as that was when I first heard of him (apart from All dogs go to heaven, but I don’t know which came first).

Are we going to see pictures of Sean and Chuck in a Zardoz inspired photo?

P.S - I love Robin Hood, love the story…also I remember a film when I was younger called ‘The Water Babies’. It was one of those films where it starts out real life, then cartoon then real life again.

I’ve always wondered how one gets into animation, do you have to go to art school, or can you be a very good artist, rock up to a company with your portfolio and expect to get a job. What do employers want to see? Do they want to see that you can do a wide range of subjects and not just the art that they are known for?

And lastly, (as I’ve probably used it wrong in my posts) - What is the correct usage of a comma and a semicolon?. I’ve noticed that when I’ve been reading the Narnia books that C S Lewis likes his long sentences.

Well I can help with the animation part but as far as use of comma, semi-colon stuff… no idea.

With animation the answer is yes. In part its how hard you can work, how good your portfolio looks and what you can do but honestly the biggest thing is getting someone to give you a gig.

There is FAR more talent out there than jobs available when it comes to commercial art so landing a job and keeping it is harder than it may appear because you know at any time you can be replaced in less than a heartbeat.

It’s a little on the stacked side.

Have to agree with Pike and Omra…nothing wrong with her laugh. It’s as natural as her image. Now Natalie Portman…YIKES!

//youtu.be/mm-0Y-VPjLY

Woot! Oh, wait, this isn’t the gutter thread.

Never mind.

Once again alluding to Sean saying that the sequel wasn’t as good, the Nostalgia Critic conveniently did his teardown of Secret of Nimh 2 today.

Enjoy.

Yeah, I’m thinking it’s one of those movies you have to be on LSD (or perhaps the harder Shatner substitute LDS, which induces bandanna wearing and pointy ears) to really get the full effect for, you know like yellow submarine or the wall or something. I’m sure there’s value in it somewhere but I’d have to watch it again to find it and I’m not sure I can get there from here.

… you get to see thorn valley maybe?

See now that’s what Rodriguez sounded like without the looping to me when she went on Top Gear.

//youtu.be/R3QfyYZ85zs

And she was even talking cars and that normally does it for me.

Great cast this week!!

For more info on Disney animation in the '80s (specifically '84-'94), check out “Waking Sleeping Beauty”. It is really good. I love the behind the scenes video of Howard Ashman. There is a little at the beginning about Don Bluth’s defection. Here’s the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyeoyRjEiUU

Want to echo the big thanks to Gryper and the other Mods here for keeping this place happy and spam free for over 3 years now.:cool:

Discussion of “New” art forms - Look no further then the recent discussion on this podcast about weather or not Videogames are art. Someone from the old establishment saying its not, because they don’t understand it? Check.

I just put that on my NFLX queue yesterday and boom a GWCer recommends it today. Yay, now I’m going to move it to the top of the list.