#254: Animation Arc, Part II

We continue our animation arc with a Secret of NIMH and take the opportunity to delve into digital vs. analog art. We hear how listeners would change the original Star Wars movies. And we run down the week in geek, including Sean’s take on the A-Team movie, new Dragon Age downloadable content coming soon, the death of Fox’s Alien prequel (and its potential replacement), the Bond 23 release date, Big Bang Theory’s possible three-year renewal, and news on the Missile Command movie.

Direct DownloadBlog Post

Another great pod cast. Keep up the excelent work folks.

Thanks! For whatever reason I just had a really great time during this particular cast. (That’s usually a sign that listeners will universally hate it, but this might be an exception to the rule.) We had a real blast doing the news, and the discussion of digital art appreciation still has me thinking.

“get back in the engine room! Talk about what i want you to talk about! And what you say better reflect my opinion! Have fun on your own time!”

Oh, jeans. I remember when I moved from the juniors jean section to the women’s section. That was quite sad (stupid societal expectations for women’s bodies!).

Spouse and I actually both just got new jeans over the holidays, and he was sorely tempted by the skinny jeans set up near the front until he tried them on and didn’t cover his bum when he sat down. Evidently, even though his legs looked great, if you have a nice bum you can’t sit down. Alas.

tl; dr spouse had to go several rows back to find jeans he liked. But not straight to the back. Mine are in the 2nd row, but they didn’t have the right length left since evidently every other woman looks for the same size as me. Sigh.

Is it wierd that I’ve seen Dirty Dancing more times than I can count, top gun only a handful of times, risky business - once and never seen days of thunder.

However, I have seen the usual 80/90 films (Weird science, explorers, stand by me,daryl,etc). I guess the reason why Dirty was so popular is that men don’t really dance so someone that can do it well is still revered. (P.S - I watch any dance movies - esp Save the last dance).

Anway back to the rest of the podcast (2 hrs to go)

They’re called boyfriend jeans because that’s what young girls are wearing - their boyfriend’s skinny jeans. While the baggy jeans of my childhood (90s) were too extreme to the one end, this whole jeggings/boyfriend jeans things is too extreme to the other. My baby brother is 17 and wears these terrible things. And so have his girlfriends.

Relaxed fit is where it’s at for me. And Carpenter. It’s like carpenters knew they would need cell phone pockets. Where do kids put their texting devices? In their ironic beanies they don’t need because it doesn’t snow there?

I don’t usually get DLC at release because it doesn’t always work, but I intend to start getting into the DLC for DA:O when DA2 comes out. I beat the game once but I’m going to try to really get into the mechanics of how the game works, since it’s a great intro to Western Role-Playing games (which BioWare has done well in the past with KOTOR).

And I still like Tom Cruise. This guy is screen gold. I saw Knight and Day a couple of weeks ago and it reminds you of how commanding a screen presence he still is. So he’s a little weird - oh, well. There are worse things to be than weird scientologist.

Even as a married man, I always appreciate honest insight from women regarding how they view men. It’s a fascinating subject to me because I’ll never be able to understand it myself. And much like Audra said, confidence is the big word my wife conveyed to me. I wish I’d known this growing up. I am going to ensure my son knows this.

You guys mentioned Chuck playing Missile Command to Rush and I wondered about that since I know Fry plays Tom Sawyer while defending against invaders… possibly from space! I don’t watch Chuck so I didn’t realize they did this. Do these moments reference something older, or just a generational thing?

Save the Last Dance is just so good! I love it. And I don’t like romantic comedies or most dance movies. This one, though. Mmmmm.

//youtu.be/-xzdCd15gqE

Great cast! Chuck post the pictures up in the GWC Flickr Group! BTW Did you ever get my email?

Oh and awesome that Sean mentioned ZARDOZ!!! I love that movie, it is entirely insane!

Case in point;

ZARDOZ SPEAKS TO YOU!!!

//youtu.be/YOROvO2fxTc

For the ladies:

Re: Cosby:
Would “The Man Behind the Pudding” not be an excellent autobiography title?

More specifically, they’re selling the jeans based on the fact that they look like the kind of jeans you would have snagged from your boyfriend. Y’know, in the morning…

When you think about it, it makes the sweatpants with “JUICY” emblazoned across the SorryBarb look conservative.

James Bond in HOOKER BOOTS!!!

FWIW, the “boyfriend” jeans that Audra picked up aren’t insanely “skinny.” They actually fit quite well. That’s what makes the whole thing with women’s jeans so funny: the names literally mean nothing at all and seem randomly attached to various cuts!

I used to love “relaxed” fit jeans, but find my taste (and shape) running to straight-cut – 501s and 514s in Levis. They fit well, and they’re comfortable to me. But hey, Sean loves relaxed-fit and carpenters. He and I aren’t shaped that differently, so it really comes down to taste.

What type of jeans do I wear?

Whatever is available.

I think only one other guy in the 70s could wear that:

Burt Reynolds

I do miss the non-dumbing down of animated films. NIMH and Watership Down would be terrible today.

Holds out his hand - Would you like to dance M’Lady

On another note - If you want a good animation with a good story then check out:

‘When the wind blows’ - I watched this as a child and the story affected me so much, I remember crying to my mother asking if this was going to happen.

I’m posting Part One - If you watch it - Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EbsrJuAoQo

I love Watership Down - although it is a bit scary in parts (from a child point of view - The general *i think that’s his name) is a MSOAB. I remember watching this over and over again. I also remember doing a literary comparison between this and animal farm. I think I was comparing the society.

Re: Slave Leia - Do you think it’s because she’s seen as a strong woman, so on a basic level, it hits something primal about taking care of a woman in that position or a woman taking care of a man’s need? Or maybe it’s /Just/ a physical thing.

I never had a thing for the slave leia, I mean I appricate it and I can see it’s charms, but it’s never been a oh oh oh…Now the woman from Underworld, Halle Berry in Catwoman,etc…I could go on. (Hmm, off to straight to the gutter me thinks)

How would you feel it it was Daniel Craig in a posing pouch…what about him in Gladiator (wasn’t he a slave in that?)

Ahh Zardoz. That movie makes my head hurt. A friend of my sent me a link to the review of the movie. After reading it I decided that no movie could possibly be that bad so I sought out a copy. Turns out the review was right. Here’s the link to the review. Zardoz