#248: Narnia, Part III

We wrap up our Narnia arc with a preview and analysis of Dawn Treader just in time for the new movie release. Mythopeic Society member and Narnia fan Randy Hoyt joins us to delve into symbology and themes in Dawn Treader. And we run down the week in geek, including a keystone cops XBox modder court case, new finger pointing around Ghostbusters 3, the discovery of arsenic-based lifeforms, the landing of the secret X-38B robotic spaceplane, and Sean’s take on Disney and the inimitable Jack Sparrow.

Direct Download
Blog Post

yay, new podcastery goodness.
I look forward to listening to it and the previous one which i have not yet listened to.
Phaze
on the “now watching 24, from the very start” ID

I am having trouble keeping up with all the media associated with these wonderful arcs!

I’ve had to deal with being unable to wallow and snuffle around as I like to do, and just enjoy stuff second-hand until the day I can devote enough time to read & watch all the wonder GWC and its Community reveal to me!

Too much good stuff!

Narnia is a series I never got very far with- I think I may have read Wardrobe, but none of the rest. My stack of books gets ever higher…

First, the new earthly lifeforms that NASA announced are arsenic-based: http://thsnews.com/nasa-announcement-about-discovery-of-arsenic-based-alien-life-forms/322671/

Second, y’all need to check your GWC mail in Little Elm more often. Just sayin. Don’t make me scream “Check your mail!” at iTunes again. :smiley:

And here’s the hour long full video of the press conference.
Drop whatever or whoever you’re doing right now and watch it.

The Star Trek/Horta reference is at ___ hr ___ min. (<— your homework is to fill in those blanks. :smiley: )

//youtu.be/JVSJLUIQrA0

The Horta reference part of the video was in the This Week at NASA video podcast too. :slight_smile:

Edit: Whoops…no it wasn’t…must have been one of the other NASA video casts I’ve already viewed and auto-deleted. :frowning:

Greatest Twitter account ever?

FAKE GRIMLOCK

I wonder if he does interviews?

What do I win?! lol!

As I just said on Twitter — > bkittysd You win …um… a double date… no triple date with me+Horta, @frakkintalos +Gorn and you + (insert alien here – iykwim) :wink:

…and things may get a little … funky baby.

LOL! Gonna get mah bow-chika-bow-wow on!

Great podcast again! But I have a couple of comments:

[Deleted as I just finished the podcast and I hear Sean successfully dealt with his and Audra’s blowhole issue.]

1. There is already some backlash starting up on the arsenic lifeform paper, which is the nature of high profile science. The truth is if there isn’t a backlash then it really isn’t worthy of a high profile. Anyway Slate has a good discussion of some of he issues.

Anyway, back to listening…

Just watched the movie. Wifey & I cried at the end.

Just so you know, Aslan (or more commonly, Azlan) is a common Malay name over here.

Another common Malay name is Iskandar, which refers to Alexander the Great. I was thinking if that was any significance to Skandar Keynes(who played Edward) - I just found out the dude’s Lebanese on his father’s side.

I took some random class in high school, i think it was called Creative Reading, and one of the books for the class was The Hobbit. The teacher warned us that the first 50 or so pages are difficult to get through and true to her word, most of the class failed to get past it. I was a determined and got through that intro—it was well worth it.

bottom line: read it, even though you’ll have to suffer through the intro.

side note: I had received a couple of books that was written in the late 19th century which included a lengthy foreword by C.S. Lewis—wherein he went to great lengths to dissuade anyone from actually reading the books because the writing was so atrocious. Like reading The Hobbit I took it as a personal challenge but gave up half way through the first book. So, so bad.

Right before that I had just finished reading C.S. Lewis’ “The Space Trilogy” which, to be honest, needed some work. The first book, Out of the Silent Planet, took quite a bit of effort to get through but was relieved that that the others were better. From what I remember, the third book, That Hideous Strength, has little-to-no relation to the previous two books but is the better of the three.

The odd thing is that the first part (up 'til Tom Bombaldi) was the easy part for him. He had to sit down and write to come up with the rest.

Saw Secret of NIMH as a young bunny. Absolutely loved it. I wore out that VHS. The artistry was magical.

ahh children of Lir (pronounced, appropriately enough for Sean, as leer)
It was nice to hear a brief Audra synopsis of the story I’ve heard various versions, including one where there were seven children, all but one transformed in to swans during the day only to become human again at night the seventh child (a daughter) who had to sew jackets out of nettles, towards the end she is discovered by the evil witch and throws the jackets over her brothers and sisters but one is only half completed and thus one boy remains with a swan wing instead of an arm forever.
this also got me thinking about folk music and a comment made by a friend of mine at hogswatch, all folk songs are either Maudlin, Bawdy or both.
Catch y’all on the flip side folks.
Phaze
on the “rocking the big bang theory tuff, eminently quotable” ID

I love this movie as well. Watched it thousands of times on VHS as a kid. We have the DVD now, but the kids don’t like it as much as I do. Mrs. Frisby also seems really passive and helpless to me now, lol! It’s funny how you get a different impression of some things when you watch them again as an adult.

Maybe they picked up on how much you like it, and that’s the problem? (: jk.

I liked the movie as well. Was thinking of rewatching, but now I’m not so sure.

Yeah, I thot the same thing about Mrs. Frisby watching as an adult. Although her love for her children and her incredible love for her friends she meets during her journey has always stayed with me. I love her fortitude and affection. Mrs. Frisby is brave and vulnerable. I didn’t think it then but she is, in a way, the cartoon Ripley.

In the 80s, many strong women characters (or ones placed in a position of power) were just bitchy. They took what they wanted and screwed (literally and figuratively) anyone who got in their way.

FINALLY getting caught up on the 'cast.

Sorry Audra, Sean was right: Dolphins have blowholes.

Re: Grimlock — Just check out this bit of awesome:

[TRANSFORMERS Dinobot GRIMLOCK

](http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/114677)