#241: Dragonheart, Listener Calls, 2011 Meetup

We talk loyalty, honor, and horsefaces as we continue our dragon arc with Dragonslayer. We take a ton of awesome listener calls. And we run down the week in geek including the next generation of Top Gun, Fable III’s announcement, a sneak announcement of new Halo Reach DLC, an upcoming How To Train Your Dragon TV series, and a late October Tron Legacy preview. Also, we announce the dates for next year’s 3rd Annual GWC International Meetup: March 18-20, 2011.

Direct DownloadBlog Post

Thanks Chuck!

Ohmycrom! I can’t wait for March. Already emailed my boss for the days off. seanhonk!

Can’t believe the bagging on David Thewlis in Dragonheart…yeah the character is a douche. But the actor is the same one that played Remus Lupin in the HP films…so you have seen him before.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000667/

Squeee! It’s in my calendar here at home, can’t ask for the days off until a couple of weeks before…but I plan to be there. :wink:

AWWWW FRAK YEAH…been waiting for this!

Kröd Mändoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire is available on DVD from Netflix. I enjoyed the show and was disappointed that is was canceled.

Lol, actually I was ripping on the young version of him not played by David Thewlis. I’ve always been a fan of Mr. Thewlis in HP, Island of Dr. Moreau, Dinotopia, the Big Lebowski (Que ridiculo!) I’m sure there’s more but I can’t think of them.

The young einon on the other hand - not so much :wink:

Well in that case…nothing to see here…move along. :smiley:

Sweet, the meetup is not during Fashion Week! Oh yeah I’ll be there, I’ll even try Wolf’s Chili that Sean discusses so often.

Hey Chuck,

The Hubble replacement is called the James Webb Space Telescope and it is set to launch in 2014.

Here’s a link for more info.

http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/

Go Vikings! Destroy the Cowboys! (Sunday 17 Oct 2010)

~Shooter Out

Woot, another birthday spent with good friends (and the podcast will actually be recorded on my B-day).

I’ll be traveling the day before.

And before anyone asks, yes I will provide the same functions as last year with peeps who want to share rooms/rides. But we have get much closer before we start those plans.

I’m listening to the cast right now, actually the calls and I was so busy last week with work that I forgot to do it. Can I do it through Skype?

I wish I could get Xbox Live, but with the pipsqueak I have literally no time to play although I will try and squeeze a gold memebership from the wife from Xmas. I see Sean on all the time (playing halo reach)…Me wonders if I should get that although I am enjoying my dragonage game at the mo…Might have to get it for the fable III (although the last time I played it was before son was born, so I should have amassed alot of coinage since then.

Damn you and international meetup - you should have skype or some sort of vid option so us poor suckers can see and talk to you guys :).

I was listening to the 'cast and there was something I really wanted to comment about.

I am really enjoying the new fantasy arc. Just wanted to comment about two things.

First, I watched something on either Discovery or Animal Planet called, If Dragons were Real. It was really cool. If you ever saw their Walking with Dinosaurs, it looked a lot like that. They had a scientist on explaining where different dragon stories came from around the world and how it was possible a dragon could have been a prehistoric creature. Also, they theorized how a dragon could fly and the science behind how it was possible. It was fascinating to watch.

About a year ago I was behind this car at a red light, with an bumper sticker that read, “Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.”

Animal Planet - Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real narrated by Patrick Stewart. It was a great documentary style production. Netflix has it on DVD.

And on mythical creatures: The Ontario Science Centre has a new exhibit “Do you Believe”. They have even created a video of a “reported Unicorn sighting.” Check it out: http://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/mythiccreatures/index.html

Why did no one tell me about this before I was in Toronto recently!? sob

Awwwww…I just found the video with the fake Unicorn sighting this morning…or I would have posted it sooner. Apesadumbrado. :frowning:

Juanstar,

It was great hearing you on the 'cast again. I hope your Leif Erickson Day/Canadian Thanksgiving holiday was all you imagined it to be.

~Shooter Out

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

All Hail Dirk the Daring!!

Does anyone remember the followup to Dragon’s Lair, the Sci Fi Cartoon Game Space Ace?

Chuck, Sean, and Audra,

Greetings!

Today, after I finished listening to Podcast #241, I decided to go waaaayyyy back to the beginning and listen to Podcast #1. This was the second time I heard it because I went back to listen to all the old casts to feel better about getting my Geek Card from Sean. I figured if I could listen to all the casts, then I, as a Sci-Fi fan merit a Geek Card. You guys talk about the older casts as unpleasant to listen to.

Its true that the earlier casts were sort of . . . raw . . . but I enjoy listening to them anyway. I find that the character development in the cast has been phenomenal from barely knowing anything about you to hoping that Chuck and Sean make better peace with Bwana before Christmas. It is interesting to note that it was Audra that made the first innuendo joke in cast #1. She compared E.T.’s glowing finger to the glowing spine in BSG. One of my favorite parts of the cast history is in #3 when you guys were comparing Aaron Doral to Mr. Rogers and Sean sang the words, “Won’t you be my traitor?”

I first started listening to the casts at about #86. I found you guys on iTunes and GWC is the only podcast that I follow. Frankly, its the only one I can follow because besides for family, church, and full-time student workload with University of Phoenix, I also commute one and a half hours to work one-way every day. You discuss things I am also interested in 99% of the time. The current Dragon arc is awesome. I plan to continue listening to the old casts up to current on my drive-time and other ‘waiting around’ time.

I . . . so . . . want to come to the annual meet-ups, but the schedule won’t permit because they are timed perfectly to conflict with my school residency activities. I hope to make it out to a meet-up someday after my school program is over. Until then, meet, discuss, and continue the cast. I love it.

In 241, you were discussing the relationship between a person’s character and what happens to it when they receive a little bit of power. If a person was undesirable before, then power brings out those attributes or makes them more obvious. I recently bought a new copy of Ladyhawke. I think the bad guy in that movie represents a good example of that. A person’s character seems to be more deeply rooted than the affects of class, position, or social standing. Again, I find that the character development in the cast has been phenomenal. I think you guys will be great people, whatever you decide to do in your life. I guess this note is just a very long thank you for all your hard work.

Keep up the good work! Peace, out.

Ethan.