#233: Breakfast Club, John Hughes, HS Stories

Long-time GWC listener and pop culture writer DX Ferris joins us to discuss the long tail of John Hughes’ work. We Bender-up for some Breakfast Club talk. We hear Chuck’s promised high-school story (as well as some awesome listener stories). And we run down the week in geek, including Katee Sackhoff’s upcoming Futurama appearance, Torchwood’s New World, and the new Mad Max movie — complete with Audra’s Tina Turner impression.

Direct Download
Blog Post

Shout out to Ferris for a truly awesome segment. This cast will go down in the Top 10 GWC classics. A more serious tone then normal but totally appropriate for this subject/re-watch. I really enjoy the way this arc is evolving. The arcs about genres or styles of film are great because they keep each weeks cast fresh. This type of subject is so interesting because of how personal it is for all of us. It will be interesting to see what the next arc will be to hit home so deeply.

Shout out to Chuck for being the type of person I aspire to be. He may not be an Ambassador or Reverend but a master of all. A pilot, mechanic, handyman, musician, chef, host, geek, writer and among many other things he is now an athlete. Many people are scared to learn a skill or give up early on it. Chuck always blows me away with his knowledge and skill in so many areas. You don’t need a fancy title to be recognized for greatness.:wink: Chuck rules! :cool:

[b]

It’s Ferris!![/b]

Ferris is bitchin’! For you younger listeners, that means Ferris is OSSIM!!

I present to you, Man of the Year, Carl Reed:

Breakfast club - What is the thing with John Hughes movies…what makes them so great? I get Uncle Buck,etc. However, not to sure about Breakfast Club, 16 candles,etc.

Is the thing with Breakfast club, that most movies in that situation, people get dentention, they learn about each other and then at the end, they are best buddies and everything is fine. The thing I get with breakfast club is that they are together, they found out about each other, and at the end they go their seperate ways, they won’t be best buds the next day. And you know what, that’s ok.

Was high school like that in the 80’s? (I was in primary school in the 80s)

That’s what I got from the movie. What do people think?

Looking forward to listening to the podcast tomorrow, I just wanted to post that now before I heard your comments.

Ferris wrote a book on Slayer!!!

I know what my next reading will be!

Ferris ROCKS. The Ferris segment is one of the highlight of my week :slight_smile:

You’ve got it. I think one of them even says something to that effect at the end.

Was high school like that in the 80’s? (I was in primary school in the 80s)

A richer suburban school, but yeah the dynamics were pretty much the same.

You beat me to this Talos! During last week’s Frak Party I think I noticed this shot for the first time, after dozens of rewatches.

I’d have loved to hear the story of Carl’s life, from High School BMOC to Savvy Janitor. I’ll bet it’s a good one :smiley:

Pretty much, just take away the openness and honesty. I guess kids from every generation have fronts they put up, and cliques they align with. It’s great films like The Breakfast Club that remind us that we’re all the same, and why it’s become a cla…cla…a classic (okay I’m old).

Ohhhhh. Thanks for spelling that out. I never caught that, must be all the hair. (something else to reminisce about :().

That’s cool, I haven’t watched it for a while, so its good that I got it spot on :slight_smile:

GnR tune with F bomb . . .

“Its so Easy”

That is all . . . .

-Ethan

I was thinking it might have been ‘Get in the Ring’ from the album Use Your Illusion 2, which is rife with several of the dreaded Frak words.

I limited myself to the Appetite for Distruction album. I do not know very much about their other music, but I had the appetite cd for a while, so I know the tracks on that album.

Great podcast… ‘Raggedy Man’!

Online Manga . . . one of my favorites is “Megatokyo”. Two gamers trapped in Japan and one speaks Leet.

Classic, Especially #408 and #256 (or is it 253?, the one with “his head clipped the column”).

Funny stuff.

I think the Naruto series manga is done in the traditional styles, right Daisuke?

-Ethan

I have to say I have a special place in my heart for, “The Breakfast Club.” It was playing in the background the first time I ever… Ok. I guess that’s a story better saved for, “Uncle Sean’s Naughty Story Hour.”:stuck_out_tongue:

One thing I do find, though, as I’ve gotten older, and become a parent, is that I’ve actually started to identify with the teacher in the movie. Not to suggest that he wasn’t a dick, because he was, but in the fact that I just wanna look at kids and say, “What the f… are you thinking!!!” The answer is, of course, “Nothing.” But, to them, that nothing is VERY profound. It’s amazing how easy it is to forget, that we weren’t much better back in our teens either. That’s why the stupid stuff I did as a kid discussions are always so enlightening. We all gotta remember that we were morons who thought we knew everything back then too.

Thanks for the kind words, all. Chuck disappears into the background in our segment, but if it’s good, it’s cuz he worked some behind-the-scenes magic. The Alpacas are good company and a great audience!

-dxf
(aka Ferris)

ps. When I described myself and a friend as “Gary and Chet” from Weird Science, I meant “Gary and Wyatt.”

dxf:

I was just blown away by the total awesomeness of your segment. I literally just spent 25 minutes in the car in my work parking lot after my commute this morning listening to it to finish it. Your insights really helped organize and shape my thoughts on his works and our current high school arc in general. The perspectives you give across the age ranges are truly John Hughes-esque in their portrayals. Thank you for taking your time to record the segment. Thank you for sharing your awesome John Hughes’ knowledge with the rest of us GWC Alpacas. And thank you for your wonderful insights.

~Shooter Out :cool:

Awesome podcast, now all I have to do is watch me some John Hughes movies…
Speaking of The Right Stuff, when are we going to do the re-watch on that (and Apollo 13)?