#232: Dazed & Confused, FSL 2.0 Awards, Pilgrim

This week: We party at the moon tower with Dazed & Confused (and our high school movie arc). We offer five reasons to go see the new Scott Pilgrim Movie. We present the awards for Fantasy Sci-Fi League 2.0: Black Ops Edition. And we run down the week in geek, including Stephen Hawking’s warning about alien contact, Adidas’ new Wookiee jacket (no Wookies were harmed in the production of this jacket), Karl Urban’s role in the upcoming Dredd remake, and why we believe Vulcans are completely justified in their stuffed-uppedness.

Direct Download
Blog Post

Okay! You’ve/we’ve referred to it enough, let’s do a Jurassic Park/Dinasaur arc already! I think Stephen Hawking would approve.

Also, it’s like Twilight and Transformers. =)

phew

Chewie don’t play that

Chuck, I love your Audrapedia. I’d like to get one for the kids since they start school this week. Where can I pick one up?

Wow, thanks Sean. There were a couple weeks I thought I had a pretty good chance, but I never really felt like I got enough humor into them.

Congrats! Always a Bridesmaid, never a bride. =)

[ol]
[li]Earning the Power of Self Respect
[/li][li]Vegan Police!
[/li][li]Kim Pine, drummer of Sex Bob-omb
[/li][li]He punched the highlights out of her hair
[/li][li]“You have seven evil ex-boyfriends?” “Exes.”
[/li][/ol]

Sean: Boots similar to Neo’s…just missing the wire mesh on the toes.

http://summitfashion.com/MENS-Black-Leather-Knee-High-Boot/M/B001G3PNLG.htm

And these replica Neo boots:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/matrix-neo-boots-custom-prop-replica

Went out for my anniversary last night and wanted desperately to see Scott Pilgrim. Unfortunately I got overruled and found myself going to see The Expendables. The only reason I bring this up here, was the reference in the cast to Stalone from Judge Dread. Expendables was surprisingly entertaining. What made it so, was Stalone and all the others truly buying into their own cliches. Hell, the movie was all one big cliche, as well as a game of, “Who’d win in a fight between…?”:

1)Stalone vs Lundhren
2)“Handsome Rob” vs An entire basketball court
3)Lee vs Lundgren
4)Stalone vs Gary Daniels
5)Lee, Couture, & “Handsome Rob” vs Gary Daniels
6)Stalone vs Austin
7)Couture vs Austin

“She said royal head”

Congrats on the MIB/Behind the Magic Award and all the hard work to make FSL 2.0 happen behind the scenes Uchiha Daisuke! The Shooter family sincerely thanks you for all your hard work!

(Other Congratulations will be out to the other Award Winners as their listening to the podcast is confirmed.)

First I would like to thank GOD who has blessed my life with the the ability to Kick-ass! Second to my parents, because that’s just what you do. Finally to all the little people of GWC to whom I’ve given…ahem…taken so much. I know the time I spent pales in comparison to what Sean puts into FSL, not to mention his normal podcast duties and wonderful family. There’s always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to challenge our teams to save the world. While I’m making it look good, he’s making it look easy and we all share the magic each week. The real magic is that we all have the chance to be creative in a way we don’t normally. A big thanks to everyone who made teams and posted solutions. The Moderators (Gryper especially) who helped keep the bracket updated and The Reverend, who is the keystone of FSL.

Food for thought…
DAISUKE
Usage: Japanese
Other Scripts: ?? (Japanese)
From Japanese ? (dai) “large, great” and ? (suke) “help”.

232 episodes? I guess that makes you serial podcasters.

Hope everyone took the time to watch Dazed and Confused this week. It really is an incredibly accurate look at what small-town Texas high school was like back in the day – and at least 10 years after the setting. Plus there are just so many actors there that you see a lot more of later.

I did indeed manage to see Scott Pilgrim on Saturday (as the podcast was rendering, actually, so my speculation that me_then would have seen it by the time you heard me_podcast say so was indeed true). It was awesome! Really enjoyed it. Obviously there are some differences at the end (re: the books), and they clearly had to omit some things to keep the movie from running stupidly long. But wow – they totally captured the feel of it, especially the most important part, which is Scott’s discovery about himself and the relationship continuum.

As others have mentioned, casting ran perfectly. It’s like many of the characters just stepped off the page. It takes a minute or two to fall into the very different (and awesome) comic-meets-movie production work, but once you’re in, you’re in. And it’s a great ride.

I think Audra said it best: You’ve seen movies made from comics. But you haven’t seen a comicbookmovie until you’ve seen Pilgrim.

:slight_smile:

Congrats to all of the FSL 2 Award winners and teams, the writing was great in all of them! Sean and Uchiha Daisuke: All the team cards were OSSIM.

For Dazed and Confused…not sure about Texas but guys here in IL didn’t wear any high waisted pants. Lee button fly jeans, lower waist with wide belt was typical here. I’ll have to try to dig up a picture or two from school ('77 grad so I have some…somewhere). Hazing wasn’t big here either…at my first high school (Beason which was annexed to Lincoln after the class of '75 graduated) it consisted of being picked up by a couple of Senior guys and sat on a running water fountain. Of course the jocks all had their own locker room rituals which usually consisted of someone being covered with jockstraps or towels…usually these were not clean. :smiley:

Beason was a very small school…if it had stayed open until I graduated my class would have had 16 students…4 of us girls. Once annexed by class had 240+ students and going in as a Junior I didn’t have to worry about hazing. Seniors were too busy harrassing Freshmen in the halls.

I don’t buy the “Oh man aliens are scary and they’ll kick our sorrybarbs” theory. Why? Because we’re frakkin humans. We’re a war like species. We’re either gonna get drafted by weak aliens to be their war fighters or we’re gonna kick the crap out of them and steal their crap and go find other aliens to fight.

Look at all the fiction out there, we always end up being the weak dudes and then it’s like “Boom human ingenuity/spirit/etc” and we are the Top Kick

By the way, in regards to energy resources, we have every reason to be worried, as fossil fuels are gradually bneing depleted, and we will see issues arise from this in the next ten years. I am fortunate enough to know people who work in the energy fields, and they (and have been) developing solutions. Sadly, renewable energy sources are simply not efficient enough, so they are looking at nuclear and fusion energy to solve the global energy crisis.

Well yah know what they say, “It’s better to burn out than to fade away!”:smiley:

Will Sean’s Naughty Bedtime Stories appear on the Cookies N Beer site?

Now the question here sir is did you grab that lin because of the song or did you picture a big ugly guy with a sewn-up neck when you were typing it?

Actually… Huge fan of both.