#230: Chronicles of Riddick, Futurama Calls, SDCC Live Audience

This week: We talk religion and fate in Chronicles of Riddick. We find out what whether GWCers would opt for one $300 hookerbot or 300 $1 hookerbots. We check out our live-audience podcast segment from San Diego Comic Con. And we run down the week in geek, including the new(ish) music-handicapped Daria DVD release, Chuck’s new Terminator mom, a Tron Legacy trailer review, BSG’s new Blood ‘n Chrome webisodes, the Legend of Neil new season premiere, and Bones’ new lawgiver. Bumped due to time constraints, look for the FSL 2.0 finale in next week’s cast.

Direct DownloadBlog Post

I said Evil-a in the cast. I of course meant Evil-lyn. (smacks forehead) duh!

Wish i could listen right now, but wife wants to watch breaking bad

Only one other person you guys didn’t mention that I could have seen as Chuck and Ellie’s Mom: Lynda Carter. They probably wanted to play up the similarities between the Orion/Mom B relationship and the Chuck/Sarah relationship, and I think it’ll be easier to see Mom B as a complete bad-ass with Linda Hamilton playing her.

The Seanscream Ringtone is on Phonezoo.com, just search for Seanscream. It’s free, just follow the instructions to dld to your computer or phone.

It’s not annoying! It’s Sean! :smiley:

So I’ve only listened to the first 37 minutes of the cast so far, but is Bawana gonna make an FSL 2.0: BOE team, or is he sitting this one out?

This is the first ep breaking the 3-hour barrier, right? Huzzah! Say say we all?

So say we all!

I will say this: 3 hour episode = 3 hours of Solai being very productive in the garden, organizing the garage, cleaning the basement, vacuuming the house…

3 hours…3 HOURS!!! :smiley:

awesomeness…

Guys, from my point of view Chronicles wasn’t a B SciFi flick. It might be because I just watched it this week, but it didn’t seem too far off the mark from an A film.

Shooter Out

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

No mention of the plethora of Stargate Alumni in Riddick. :frowning:
It’s hard to recognize Apophis without the glowing eyes and flanged voice. :stuck_out_tongue:

I totally agree on most fronts sir. I love damn near everything about it.

The endless pot-shotting it draws from folks who are not into it kind of drags it down to very good B+ though - if I’m to be honest.

Take the three of us for instance. I love CoR. It’s the best kind of SciFi as far as I’m concerned. It’s very much like a live action comic. It leaves much to your imgination and expects you to fill in the rest.

Showing that same movie to Chuck and Audra doesn’t get the same results. It’s alot like the first version of the Matrix - their minds keep trying to come out of the world and think things like ‘I don’t find him scary’ or ‘Necromongers? That’s a silly name.’ Once they can’t take it serious it gets thrown into the B area. For me Riddick is always an A. However were I to reccomend it to someone else I’d have to say ‘very good B’ because I don’t think a good chunk of folks out there can fill the gaps properly without a primer to make it an A movie.

Just MHO though and no more valid than anyone elses. :slight_smile:

To be fair Necromongers are a p. silly name

I think it is the naming of things that leans me towards the B. It feels to me like they are intentionally being campy that way, but at the same making Riddick a very serious character and the two don’t compliment each other.

The thing I liked about CoR (besides for Riddick’s badassery) is that it has a strong combination of sci-fi and fantasy. The things I didn’t like as much were the balance I talked about and I felt like I never got as much story as I wanted. I was happy with Riddick’s story because of what we learned in Pitch Black. I never felt like we knew enough about the Necromongers and especially the Lord Marshal himself. I can definitely see how someone not already a fan of Riddick (especially if not having seen Pitch Black) could get lost real fast. That being said, Vin Diesel is perfect for this part and along with Twohy have created a character and universe as unique and awesome any other. I can’t wait for more. :cool:

Anybody know if I’ll be missing out significantly if I watch the regular version and not the director’s cut of Chronicles of Riddick?

DC is definitely a better movie but I saw the original and it was okay.

I watched the 30 for 30 doc on Matt Hoffman the other night. Since you guys broke the 3 hour mark I think you need to take a page out of the Condor’s book and just blast it out. 6 hours next time. =D

Wasn’t that 30 for 30 excellent? I was a skate fan as a kid, and I never gave half a [poop] about BMX, but it was riveting. Kinda like last week’s discussion of vampires: You don’t have to care about the subject matter to enjoy a well-done piece.

Another example, I’m not into fishing, but Deadliest Catch is cool.

30 for 30 is probably the best thing ESPN has ever done. Hell they’re legitimately some of the best documentaries out there.

I’m with you on the subject matter thing, the farthest I was into BMX was literally Dave Mirra BMX Freestyle 2 for PS2 lol. Sick game.

I decided to look into what were the original criteria for calling a movie a “B movie.” It turns out the criteria have evolved over time, but generally have referred to low budget movies that tend to be shorter and genre-specific, particularly but not limited to westerns, sci-fi, and horror, and largely ignored by critics. Later, B movies came to include big-budget maintsream movies done in exploitation styles usually associated with older B movies.

So, at $110 million budget, twice the average for a movie around 2004, CoR is definitely not low-budget. It’s not a short film, and critics widely panned it rather than ignore it. It definitely doesn’t fit the traditional definitions of a “B movie.”

You could say it’s a B movie in that it’s a bit campy and in the exploitation style. However, after reading up on it, I’m inclined to think it’s more of an A movie with some flaws than a B movie with intentional stylized cheese.