2012 Int'l Meetup: March 16-18, 2012

It sounds like most people are flying, but might anyone be driving from the Midwest area? I would love to carpool if anyone is driving through Indiana or near Chicago.

Fly. I drove from Ohio for the 09 meetup. Never again. Trust me. FLY!

Question for everyone: is it okay the play Hey Cow when flying?

Well, I just did a 9 hour trip. 15 doesn’t sound that much worse. (Granted, I’m not the one driving. :P) And it sounds like it would be a lot cheaper.

Anybody who would be willing to cruisepool from Europe to Texas? :slight_smile:

I did last year. The guy across the aisle gave me quite the funny look as I leaned against the window and very quietly went “heeeeeeeeyyyyy cooooooowwwwww!”

It was cheaper but I don’t have it in me for another 21 hour road trip.

Let me second that. I adore the people I was traveling with, but arriving at the meetup after 20 hours on the road was rough. Won’t be doing that. Ever.

With a new job, comes a new schedule and no time off for a bit… but i’m also going to be less than 5hrs away now… will see about getting there late friday or Saturday sometime. It’s the same weekend as All-Con which i normally go to, but thinking i might just skip it this year to make it to the meetup for the full time. :smiley:

question is, to bring R2 or not. I think most have seen him, though his new feet are awesome! :slight_smile: here’s a pic of him in his Santa hat with the Razorback Mascots!

For those wishing to reserve a room for the 2012 GWC Meetup, here are some fun facts:

Aloft Hotel in Plano, TX.
6853 North Dallas Parkway
Plano, Texas 75024[LEFT]
Phone: (214) 474-2520[/LEFT]

Here is their specific link on the interwebs

Don’t use the internet link to book your room. Call the Plano Aloft directly. When you call in you’ll get the front desk. Ask for the Sales department, and they’ll connect you. Let them know you’d like to reserve a room for the dates in March you’ll be there, and tell them you’d like the GWC RATE. If you say “Galactic Watercooler” you’re liable to be met with confused silence, they’ve got it listed as “GWC” so be specific and patient.

The rooms are normally reserved for Fri-Sun March 16th, 17th and 18th with the GWC block, but if you want to come in a day early or stay a day later they’ll work with you. The basic rooms they’ve set aside are King sized beds, so if you want two queen sized beds let them know…again, they’ll work with you. They’ll ask for a credit card but won’t charge you yet, and if you give them an email they’ll shoot you a confirmation. And it never hurts to say thanks…after all we’ve been there before and they’re STILL game to let us stay. :smiley: All in all it’s a fast and easy process that’ll take you five minutes.

Get your reservations in and SEE YOU THERE! :smiley:

Precisely what I did last week – they were very gracious on the phone, and I locked in a two-queen (facing each other!) room, because I know cash may be tight for some folks, and doubling up will save a bit more. Big BIG props to Sean for pushing them to give us the rate we received, given the more modest size of our overall “gaggle of geeks”. All the more dinero to spend on nerd peripherals, boozahol, tasty foodstuffs, jukeboxes, tattoos and bail.

Is South Dakota close enough? I would love to go but would need to carpool with someone!

Great 411 on the reservation info Topgun! And everyone, please remember to THANK them when you call for hosting the meetup and providing the great room rate for us again!

Thanks Barb! I’ve amended my post to include your very good advice.

(picture Kermit screaming and waving his arms everywhere)

Finally got the okay from the boss for days off for the meetup! I did think about driving down, but couldn’t get enough time to do that, and kind of worried that my back couldn’t take that much time in the car, so I’ll be flying in. Have yet to get the room or plane tix sorted out, but should have time next week to get that done. :slight_smile: Yea!

Tickets booked. Room reserved. Truly looking forward to meeting all of you and experiencing the awesomeness of the 2012 GWC international meetup. Can’t believe I actually get to go! See you all there!

Durzo

What is the standard “GWC Rate”?

I believe it’s $89 per night.

If I get a job I’m coming, if not, hopefully next year!

I’m strongly leaning toward going. I know events aren’t really planned yet, but are there usually activities Friday morning and Sunday evening, or is that mostly waiting for people to arrive?