Yet another DC area Meetup! Oct 25-28

My flight is booked! I will be landing in DC on Tuesday October 25. After talking with Cassilda & Starbuccaneer it looks like the best day for most of us would be that Thursday the 27th.

Where would you all recommend we meet up? I will have access to a car if necessary.

Who else wants to join us?! :slight_smile:

I can only make it if it’s Thursday - around abouts what time are we thinking about? Like I mentioned on twitter, I’m a 3ish hour drive away, so something that wouldn’t end too late would be good for me, as I’ll have to work on Friday. Also, I’ll be driving, so somewhere that has parking would be good!

Personally I have no idea where! I’m good with whatever time. How late would be too late for you?

If I’m driving all the way into DC (as opposed to something on the VA side), then I’d have to head home around 9.

Starbuccaneer was saying something about going somewhere in VA accessible by metro so you wouldn’t have to drive so far.

Casilda, would the end of the Blue line (Franconia/Springfield) or end of the Orange line (Vienna) be better for you? I’m more familiar with places in Ballston and Falls Church than places out on Blue past DCA but can definitely find something good regardless.

I might also just end up doing a Zip Car, in which case, Aset, I could pick you up.

Samantha has class on Thursday nights so she probably won’t be joining me. She’s skipping class the Thursday previous for a concert we’re going to, so I will have a hard time talking her into skipping again. Not that I would do that. I am a responsible girlfriend, not (usually) a source of peer pressure!

So excited!

franconia/springfield would be better, I’ll be coming up 95 through Richmond and Fredericksburg

Is this open to others? I live in the area but was sadly out of town for last weekend’s meetup. I’d like to join in on this one, assuming my work travel schedule cooperates.

Of course it is! We’re GWC, after all. :slight_smile:

Absolutely! Anyone in the area who wants to join in is welcome!

Absolutely! The more the merrier.

Ok, I’ll check out good gathering spots down that way.

We now know that we’ll be gathering someone in NOVA about an hour out of D.C.

Based on proposed locations of convenience for Casilda and where I’ll be picking up Aset, I suggest gathering in Manassas. Perk to that is that Manassas has great restaurants, so I hear. Any thoughts on that–especially from Casilda? And any preferences for type of food?

I’ll ask my boss if I can leave work early (or book at 4 p.m. “doctor appointment”) so I can get to Aset by 5 or 5:30, depending on traffic. Then we can meet in Manassas at 5:30 or 6–sound good?

I’ve only ever driven through Manassas, so no idea on food. My request, though: no seafood, no Thai (oh, stupid allergies)

Good to know! Manassas is actually the hub of the regional Thai community so there are lots of Thai restaurants. We can find something tasty and American-y like a good burger/beer place. That should have something for everyone.

Awww it doesn’t have to be “American-y!” unless we want it to be. I only mention the Thai thing since most everything has fish sauce (=me sick), or is cooked in the same pans as seafood (again, =me sick :(). But really, living where I do, anything non-Southern would be quite exciting and interesting.

I’m up for anything really I don’t have any food allergies & I havne’t gone to a restaurant yet that I haven’t found something I can eat.

So - this is THIS THURSDAY! I’m so excited. Any word on where we should meet? Restaurants we’re thinking about?

And I’d reiterate yet again - I know Starbuccaneer, Aset, and I will be there, but any other GWCers in the area are welcome to join us!

Does the fish sauce issue include Vietnamese? I assume it would but am unsure. I know they use it in lots of stuff but have no idea if it’s in everything.

I ask, because this place is on the short list of places I think we should consider: Pho 234

Other contenders:

Sweetwater Tavern (this actually might be my 1st choice because I can indulge in a rare beer and have it be something new and delicious)

Tandoori Village (Indian/Pakistani)

Okra’s Cajun Creole

Pretty much any of these sound good to me. Aset & Casilda, what do y’all want to do?

If the Vietnamese option is on the table I’m for there, never had Vietnamese before & would love someone with me who’s familiar.

If not I say Sweetwater Tavern or Tandoori Village