Xbox Live-Worth it?

Hey guys…been tossing around the idea of an Xbox live membership, just wanted some opinions on the service provided. For those that have it, do you think it is worth it and why?

A little bit about my Gaming style…I come from a PC gaming background and just switched to console gaming within the last year. During that time, I’ve mainly played games like Assassin’s Creed, ME2, Skyrim, etc…

I listen to the cast about some of the DLC and think of the extra stuff in ME2 I missed out on, but not sure what else makes Xbox Live worth it. Obviously, I don’t really know anyone else that has a subscription and not sure how the multiplayer gameplay works and such.

So yeah…basically, is it worth it and what would be the benefit of it? :slight_smile:

If you’ve got an XBox now I’d say that LIVE is def worth it. So many games now are multiplayer, and once you amass a few friends online you can always set up times to play, etc. With a camera or Kinect you can video chat. You’ve also got access to Netflix and a bunch of other online features, like free demo downloads of games, so you can check something out, play a level, before you decide to buy. And LIVE has been adding features pretty regularly lately, Facebook, Twitter, etc. For the money I’ve always felt it was worth it.

I’m not sure how much of Live is accessible without a subscription, but I’ve had it for longer than Xbox 360 has been around and I can’t imagine not using it. The new beacon feature is great. Every time I log on I see who is wanting to play what and I almost always have someone to play multiplayer with. If you’re mostly playing RPGs it may be hard to justify since you’re never looking for a group to play, but once you start into multiplayer it’s nearly impossible to go without.

I have Xbox Live and its worth it for me. On-line gaming is cool but that’s not all you get with it. I’m in the UK so it might be a little different depending where you are from I need Xbox live if i want to use my Xbox to stream my Lovefilm account (like Netflix) and also you get access to things like Last.FM where you can stream ad free radio based on what ever music you listen to. If your debating whether to go for it or not definitely consider the things you get in addition to on-line gaming aspect as this might help you to justify the costs. Also there is a Family Pack option which is slightly cheaper than 2 accounts separatly and you can have up-to 4 Accounts on a family pack i think so if you do have other users in your household it might be worth it.

I’m not much of a gamer, but I do like using it for Netflix. I’m about a week into a “2 months for $2” deal, so you might want to check out the main menu and see if that’s still available. Best way to see if it’s for you is to try it for yourself.

I too use it primarily (actually near-exclusively) for Netflix, and think it’s worth it. At least, I pay it every year :slight_smile:

If you do, buy a code at Amazon instead of going through Microsoft. You can get them for as cheap as $40 if you’re lucky, and they’re almost always $50. I think Microsoft charges $60 now.

Quick question though, do you need the paid Xbox live membership to download DLC?

No. Since you’re essentially buying stuff from the people who make the game, it doesn’t require paid Live. You do need to buy Microsoft Points to pay for it though, so they get their cut that way.

So the DLC packs aren’t free downloads? How much do they normally run?

There are game updates (bug fixes and that kind of thing) that are free, but DLC packs vary widely, depending on the game and the specific content. For example, I think the alternate outfit packs on ME2 are like $2-3, but something like (the awesome) Lair of the Shadow Broker is around $10.

Xbox Live multiplayer interface is for people who like iPads, it just works and does everything that you would expect from a multiplayer interface. Playstation Network is kind of like Android, still pretty good, but not quite as smooth as a social experience. I also happen to think Xbox Live voice chat sounds much clearer than PSN’s as well. If you’re interested in checking out some online gaming communities, I’d recommend www.2old2play.com, I haven’t met a single uncool person to play with online through that website.