WonderCon April 1-3, 2011 San Francisco

Discussions began at the GWC Meetup about having a Bay Area meetup at WonderCon this year.

Saturday is looking like the best day to get together for hanging out at the con and possibly dinner afterward.

This con is coming up soon! Yay! Reply with your suggestions on dates, times, availability, activities, dinner locations, and proposed hi jinks.

-Frenchie

My wife and I will be heading up on Saturday for sure. I’m not sure if I’ll be attending the other days but I would like to. I don’t really know what’s around Moscone Center as far as dining, but I’m flexible.

Hey, Think Saturday should work best for me too!

I know a lot of dining/drinking options in that area… there’s the Westfield Mall nearby too

Saturday works for me! I haven’t been to any restaurants in that part of the city before but I’m pretty flexible as well. Let’s just make sure to leave enough time to see the Anthropology of Firefly panel at 6 PM.

I’ve got tickets for the whole weekend, and will definitely be up there, but I’m in Monty’s boat of not knowing what’s in the area. But I am totally solid on going out for dinner and a few drinks after the convention floor closes.

Also, Anthropology of Firefly? Sounds gorram sweet!

Hey peeps!

I agree that we should not miss Anthropology of Firefly from 6-7!!! I’m a bit “meh” about Sat programming, but in spite of that, will be at the convention center at least part of the day on Saturday and most of Sunday.

How about we plan either

1. meetup for beer(s) at Thirsty Bear between 4 - 6 PM Saturday

and/or

1. dinner after Firefly from 7 until 9 at Osha Thai on 2nd St or maybe Food Court at the Westfield Mall (something for everyone).

Alice probably has some good restaurant suggestions too since she works downtown as well.

Parking downtown seems to be fairly available and decent at the Ellis O’Farrell garage.

Depending on time of day, someone can use my parking space at 240 Lombard and walk or take the F-line to Moscone Center.

Wonder Con Details:

Program Grid

Saturday Programming

Oooh, good idea! I had a really good dinner at the Osha Thai in the Embarcadero Center a few weeks ago and would recommend it.

I’m really open for anything. I haven’t looked to closely at the program schedule yet.

The only thing I want to do for sure is get some comics signed by Bob Layton. According to the website, he is going to have a both in Artist’s Alley so that shouldn’t be a problem.

As far as dinner goes, I like everything; which is why I am the man I am today. pats belly

I am just looking forward to hanging out with everyone and checking it out. It will be my first Con… Firefly seems like the best thing for Saturday, though might have to checkout the Dr. Who and Thundercats stuff on Sunday.

Osha Thai at either Embarcadero Center or at 2nd St is pretty awesome, but does require reservations, and the service tends to be West Coast “slow” so if there are children coming, they should be appropriately drugged ahead of time (jk).

Otherwise, Osha Thai is really awesome, cause the appetizers are fantastic and the drinks are fine. I would say that it is medium-ly expensive as SF restaurants go, so, yeah, it will cost some bucks - check out the web site for menu and prices.

If peeps want to do this, lemme know and I’ll make some reservations.

–Frenchie

I’m game, Frenchie! Do you think making the reservation for 7:30 at the 2nd St one give us enough time to mosey over there?

Okay, so here’s the event page I’ve posted for my friends and me. It looks like our group will be pretty large, but everybody’s sufficiently nerdy and welcoming.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=events#!/event.php?eid=132874653421128

Awesome, Andy! Thanks for organizing! Add 2 RSVPs to Osha Thai for me. My boyfriend won’t be able to attend, but a friend from the Firefly 'verse will prolly come along w me. I’ll see you guys around and about during the day on Saturday, and I’ll definitely be there on Sunday.

Can you add on to Osha tie for me. I plan on coming to SF probably around 2-3 in the afternoon

Alice

I was looking at the Wonder-Con website and noticed this:

"Interest in WonderCon is hitting a fever pitch so, in an effort to maintain a comfortable atmosphere, WonderCon may have to limit on site registration for SATURDAY. For that reason we are encouraging anyone who plans to attend Saturday to purchase your badge either online (click here) or at one of the many area comics shops (click here for list). "

So, it would be a good idea to preregister to make sure you can get in. And it saves you $5, so its win-win.

See you guys in a couple days!

And they no longer selling 3-day passes on-site. But fear not! They are still available online at www.comic-con.org

I just bought mine. Thank you for the heads up!

Good call out… just ordered mine… See you guys soon!