When did Tech become "Cute"

Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, those cute little names and mascots for phones and operating systems, when did this happen?
I find it a bit annoying, does anyone else?
What does cute have to do with technology, aside from stopping me from throwing my Android phone against the wall because ONCE again, after being in my pocket for an hour has switched on my roaming and bluetooth, shut off my ringer volume and switched my keyboard to Mongolian… (I really don’t want to hurt that cute robot!!)
I guess this should be on the rant page, but…

The BSD Daemon is pretty cute, and he dates back to the 70s.

Naming stuff after similar things that have nothing to do with the tech dates back at least that far as well (ICS, Jellybean, et al). I don’t think “Android” is particularly cute, though the logo I suppose is (See above about logos/mascots though).

I think wanting things to be attractive/cute is a Human trait, and the fact that technology gets some of it is normal.

Plus, it saved you several hundred dollars in replacement cost!

Flickr, Yahoo, Google, Blog all sound like something a 1 year old would babble out, I think it was around then.

Hey, wasn’t it Audra (or Chuck?) who shared the story about the factory robot who kept getting banged up & tripped over because no one was paying attention to it?

Then management decided to paint it pink, humanise it, and generally make it cute - and people stopped banging into it. That was the gist of the story I gather?

It was in the GWC “Friendly robots” 'cast.