What's A Spoiler?

We’ve caught some crap over the last year for even discussing things like the possible start date of the new seasons or the setting of Razor. So let’s tackle this once and for all: what exactly is a spoiler?

I guess it’s too modern a usage for Merriam-Webster, since they don’t bother with a definition meeting our needs. But contender thefreedictionary.com offers one, albeit all the way down at the 5th definition:

1. A post to a newsgroup that divulges information intended to be a surprise, such as a plot twist in a movie.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/spoiler
I think this works quite well, considering the key words: “intended to be a surprise.” For example, telling someone who’s never seen Star Wars that it’s set in space, that there’s a galactic war going on, that there are Jedi, that they’re named X, Y, and Z, and so on – not spoilers. Telling them who Luke’s father is? Spoiler.

Or in the context of Razor: the fact that it’s set during the Pegasus story arc and that we’ll see flashbacks doesn’t sound like a spoiler to me. Dishing on specific plot points and so on does.

One thing I’m certain of, though, is that with at least three doctoral candidates floating around the GWC halls, can surely create a definition that’ meets the community’s needs.

So what do you think?

As far as news about the show where does that fall into the spoiler non-spoilers material. Like say if actors/actresses are mentioned to come back or other material around those lines are they to be considered spoilers?

Just as important: when is a spoiler not a spoiler? I remember after the Sopranos ending people were griping about spoilers a week later. Seems they had the series Tivoed and were just catching up. Similarly, somebody dropped the ball and Crossroads Part 2 went up on iTunes rather late the next day. I ended up torrenting that one b/c it was getting hard to avoid spoilers while I was waiting.

So, at what point is a spoiler no longer a spoiler?

(BTW, Rosebud is his sled!)

My personal take is that the example you give is not a spoiler, and if it were up to just me, that’s how I’d make the call. But I’m asking for others’ opinions as well.

In the podcast, our attitude has always been that once the show airs, it’s open season. That’s why we always posted the warning at the beginning to indicate which show was the latest, so anyone who was holding out could make their own decisions.

But here that doesn’t really work, does it?

Again, my gut reaction is that general plot points – like the fact that the Pegasus was destroyed in season three, stuff like that – would be fair game, but maybe we should protect significant twists for a little bit after the episode – like, for example, the four-Cylon reveal at the end of season three. Maybe we give that a week or something.

But again, I can’t see causing everyone to cover up the fact that we know Tigh’s a Cylon. That’s just not going to happen.

I guess this is the sort of matter Vint Cerf was talking about recently in terms of television hitting its “iPod Moment”. There are too many tech solutions to allow one to break free (as it could be called) of the network schedule. Considering the seasons do not even air at the same time in different countries (airdates in Australia, UK, and the US are different if memory serves) means that matters posted online in the US can be spoilers to somebody else abroad.

My view of spoilers is if it is anything substantial beyond the program guide description. If a major twist ending to the episode (i.e. the return of Starbuck) came about that would be a pretty drastic spoiler. I want to see such on television first before reading about it online. For those outside the US, alas, even Battlestar Wiki becomes one huge spoiler if the season there is not tracking with US airings.

Do I have an answer to this one? No, not really. The disclaimer works and probably is the only viable way to go.

Well alpaca I can agree and disagree with some of your post about people abroad. First I do agree that it might be better if some of the community that visits here is from another country that we do a stricter use of spoiler for razor and season 4 when that comes around. But on the other hand there are a number of things recently for example the Harry Potter book (The Deathly Hallows) that was released in I believe the UK/Europe/NA first and is still being translated and such for other countries. Now in my own case during this time I had to avoid spoilers because I am not one to read a 700+ book in a day no matter how much I love the series. So in my opinion a balance between how story defining the spoiler is should define what matters are done to avoid someone being ruined something, shush as seeing the episode before reading something about it. But at the same time one must also take an active role in avoiding spoilers themselves. You can’t be babied through everything ya know.

~Andrew

Personally though I think it would be good to go with a highlight spoiler policy because the individual can’t get mad if they highlighted the text to read it.

I define a spoiler as anything that gives away specific plot point (more specifically in detail)

I used to go looking for spoilers and it never really bothered me before, I always enjoyed what ever show I was watching (this goes for any show, not just BSG)- but I learned a lesson with the episode that shall not be named. I read a spoiler that told pretty much everything that happened - down to the last words of the episode. For the first time it took something away from the episode.

I don’t mind knowing concepts of episodes or generalities - like we know that Razor is going to be based around Pegasus, but I don’t want to know specifics on the story.

It is going to be tough to account for our overseas friends who are not downloading somehow - but if they are hanging here after the episodes they should expect to be spoiled in some way shape or form.

On another board we have one girl who is in Canada and it used to show on a different day (Sat instead of Fri) so we would refrain from discussing the episode until Sunday. We also have overseas posters who if they are around understand that we may spoil the episode for them.

My feeling is that after the episode airs in NA, where the podcast originates from, we should be free to discuss the episodes, but keep it to the Frak party posts - that way it is easier for those who haven’t seen the episodes can avoid seeing any specifics until they can see the episode.

We will need some way to mark posts that may be spoilers (like a highlightable text or a spoiler tag).

Spoiler highlighting is available on Battlestar Wiki although its use is strange at times. A consistent set of guidelines would be needed in approaching what to tag and what should not be tagged.

In many respects this part of life in an Amazoogle world. While the growing prevalence of the Internet has broken down quite a few barrier traditional media distribution channels are stuck in a nation-centric or regional market-centric paradigm. Whether or not a lack of simultaneous releases is considered appropriate I do note, though, that international convention from the 19th century helps keep that lack going.

It can be a hard matter.

Considering the way Google works and all…things posted to vBulletin sites have this remarkable ability of running high in search results. PageRank just has trouble dealing with forums running on a codebase like this. Although it can be said that people should not be babied the effect of Google even seeing this forum could provide spoilers unintentional even through innocent searching. Such is a trade-off I really do not have a good answer to in terms of how to approach the matter.

That line of reasoning I can go along with.

I think that is how RDM regards the podcasts he records. If you listen before the episode airs you deliberately want to be spoiled. I normally wait until after airing during a fairly quick re-watch. In some cases his spoilers can stand alone with needing to see the episode simultaneously, perhaps.

You know, as far as information about the actors, what the writers/producers have said in an interview/blog/convention panel - I don’t think those are technically “spoilers,” but I’ve always tried to avoid them until a great deal later since I’ve been “spoiled” before by reading or viewing that stuff. For example, when Starbuck seemed to die in “Maelstrom,” people with inside knowledge let it slip that Katee Sackhoff’s contract was still in effect for a while. While not a “spoiler,” some information can be used to effectively remove the suspense from the show. I try my best to avoid discussing this type of background information in the podcast or on GWC at all, since they sometimes can feel like spoilers.

As far as spoilers in a situation such as the forums, I’d say a warning should be used for major plot information until around 1 week after the air date of the last region to air the most recent BSG episode(within reason of course)

It seems to me that setting it by the last region(or almost last) to air the latest episode, plus a 1 week buffer for those who cant watch it on air date seems like a good amount of time for whoever cares enough to hate spoilers to get the episode watched.

Of course, personally I feel that once it’s aired and its out there it should be fair game, if somebody is truly that concerned about avoiding spoilers, they should monitor their own intake of information, not rely on others to do it for them.

I’ve gone by the following guidelines for “aired spoilers” (those of action shown in TV Movies or Books)

TV: Till the next new episode or 2 weeks, whichever comes first
Movies: 3 weeks from release
Books: 1 month from release or by “request” (ask “Do you plan to read BLAH?”)

As for what is a spoiler? I’d go by what ruins the plot twists. Knowing that the movie Razor is about Cane isn’t a spoiler. Knowing that she has a love affair with Dee and THAT’s the real reason that Lee goes all emo and fat, now that’s a spoiler.

Oh, oops.

Rorlins

:eek: I wish I could believe that…but it’s just not happenin’.

One of my favorite T-shirt designs:
http://www.threadless.com/product/844/Spoilt#zoom

btw, ^SPOILERS^:cool:

I don’t mind knowing concepts of episodes or generalities - like we know that Razor is going to be based around Pegasus, but I don’t want to know specifics on the story.

I agree here… I think that if people have a problem with discussion of when , in the BSG timeline, Razor occurs, then that is really their problem… I say that since if you don’t know that BSG occurs in space and that razor takes place during the liketime of Admiral Caine… then well, your probably on the wrong forum in the first place.

I think once a show has aired to the masses, meaning it has been on TV, then it is open for discussion. If you choose to wait to watch, or you are living in a area that is behind in the schedule, then it is up to you to limit your exposure.

At this point I have several friends that I am “indoctinating” into the BSG universe and we are only through about 3/4 of the first season… they would consider the re-watch podcasts to be spoilers, but that is really their issue to deal with, not everyone else who has kept up to date.

So… that being said. My definition of a spoiler is anything that is not currently known from episodes that have been released to Sci-Fi to air.

I think -some- people get WAY too worked up over “spoilers”

Personally, knowing a plot detail isn’t going to ruin a TV show/movie/book for me, because it doesn’t take away the experience of seeing that event unfold firsthand

The exception is a spoiler that goes into detail and reveals everything about that show/movie/book…now THAT would definately spoil it for me

Hey…would people consider an episode (or minicast) title a spoiler? The standard sentence summary I think is problematic…but the title, just wonderin’

I remember at the end of Season 2.5 that Sci-Fi Channel spoiled the episode on their own. In the summary of the episode on sci-fi.com, they said something to the effect that Baltar wins the election and must make hard decisions. Most of the tension in the episode just evaporated for me then, not just from the election process itself, but the end when Roslin has to decide whether or not to give up the Presidency after she confesses her cheating to Adama. I was pretty pissed.

“Billy’s Back Glows” – Now there’s a season premiere title for you.

Hahaha. Understood. Here are some rejected titles for the Season 4 premiere:

“Adama’s a Cylon”
“Head Starbuck messes with Lee”
“Ellen’s Return”
“Cally’s Funeral”
“Dee’s Baby Shower”