Was Dumbledore cruel?

The husband just posed the question to me, was Dumbledore cruel to use Snape as he does in the books?

I say not really. Manipulative in the extreme yes, but not cruel and here is why.

Snape was a death eater all the way until the moment Voldemort killed Lilly. At that moment it was a switch. Voldemort had done the one thing he could not overlook and forgive. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned is the saying but killing a one ture love is pretty damn close. From that moment on Snape was filled with hatred and a desire to destroy Voldy. Unfortunately he was dead right? So Snap got to go on being his bitter, nasty, thwarted self.

Dumbledore and his people always knew there was a possibility that Voldy would be back. Dumbledore used this belief and Snapes hatred to keep him close. It was also how Dumbledore could be 100% sure that Snape was his man.

Joining with Dumbledore preserved Snapes life. Without the guidance of the plan and his vow to Dumbledore, Snape would most likely have followed his hatred and foolishly went up against Voldy much sooner and would have lost. Dumbledore helped keep him on track and to understand that someone else had to destroy Voldy.

I also would argue that it was Snapes vow to Dumbledore that allows him to make the unbreakable vow to help and protect Draco. I think his personal hatred would have prevented him from doing so. Dumbledore knew that it was necessary to save Draco from being permanently lost to the darkness and to get Snape fully inside again and to get people where they needed to be for the final showdown to come.

Thoughts?

Deathly Hallows really brings out the determined side of Dumbledore. His patronus should be a pit bull because of how doggedly (haha) determined he is to do what must be done. He definitely uses both Snape and Harry to varying degrees to get his goal accomplished, and he certainly pushes Snape. That being said, Dumbledore also kept Snape out of Azkaban, and Snape was a major part of the deaths of Lily and James, so he has a lot to answer for. His penance does not end until he or Voldemort does.

I don’t think I would use the word cruel. I would use the term absolute.
Snape had to absolutly keep Draco from being lost.
Snape had to absolutly be in the inner circle for the finale show down.

Albus knew these things and nothing else mattered, but stopping Tom Riddle absolutly. even at the cost of his own life.

I don’t think Dumbledore was cruel, but he did recognize Snape’s remorse over Lily’s death and certainly used it to the best of his ability. I agree that Snape was all but ready to die after his guilt over Lily’s death (and markedly much more than James’ best pal Sirius who also had a part in their deaths), and in a way, all the things he did for Dumbledore (and Harry) was his way of absolving his guilt. But, I dare say that Snape was one of the two people (him and Harry) Dumbledore trusted the most out of everyone, which probably was the reason why Snape trusted Dumbledore equally (even though he, like Harry, gets angry about it once in a while).

Slightly off topic, but…
The thing about Snape being a scary mean teacher has little to do with whether he was working for Dumbledore or not, but probably more to do with his personality of keeping himself closed off from everyone else… I doubt Snape would have ever been one of those cheerful nice teachers even if
Voldemort wasn’t around.

When Snape made his promise to Dumbledore, it was Snape himself that asked Dumbledore not to reveal his good side to Harry. While he repeatedly is mean and horrible to Harry’s gang, I think over the years he also tries especially hard to dislike Harry just so he’d never be that vulnerable to someone who resembled James so much. Hence his anger over Harry looking into his mind in OotP.

Dumbledore’s a dick

I wouldn’t say he’s cruel - he’s practical. He loves Harry like a son, but he’s committed to Voldy’s destruction and will do whatever it takes.

after reading this essay, I think yes. maybe he was not hateful or selfish, but he was cruel.

I agree, Snape would always have been an unpleasant and surly person. I also saw that it seemed that he tried extra hard to dislike Harry. Not that they could ever have been friends, I do understand that level of resentment all too well.