WarLight Game Of Thrones long game "Letters from the Frontine" Thread

“However long it takes, you win or you die.”

As we talked about, here’s a thread to post our “Letters from the Frontline” for the WarLight game we just started.

The idea is to post “Letters” written in the character of you as the leader of your House in the game. This is free form, so no “rules” per se. These can be:

- [b]Letter Home to Loved One:[/b] "Dearest Kat,  My troops have made the long march south to defend the southern border of Winterfell.  I miss you more than I can express, but my pride in my sons overwhelms me. I know not whether House Greyjoy will aid or hinder me...."

- [b]Angry Letter to Enemy Faction: [/b] "To the Lord of Castle Winterfell,  I demand that your release our dear brother Jamie Lannister from captivity within 2 days time. If you fail to comply we will launch the full weight of our northern Army against your southern holdings..."

- [b]Letter of Strategic Situation for Posterity:[/b]  "It is Day 4 our our assault on King's Landing. Many brave soldiers of House Baratheon have fallen today, but we will not lose heart..... 

…or…anything …as long as it’s creative. Letters reacting to other faction’s letters is encouraged and will add to the fun. And if you want to mix it up and post a letter from someone else like Kat writing a letter to Edaard Stark.
(Forgive me if I’m using a lot of Game of Thrones references here—I’m assuming we’ve all seen the TV show and/or read the books?)

Let’s try to follow the “rule” or…habit…of posting at least one Letter after you do your turn, each turn. That will keep things lively.

Good Luck everyone!! :smiley:

TURN 1 Stannis Baratheon, Lord of Dragronstone

To Davos Seaworth, at sea.

As my most trusted adviser, it is to you that I open my mind. I hope this raven finds you well, my friend. My brother Robert is dead, and it is time for I as his rightful heir to march on to King’s Landing and proclaim the Iron Throne. I am outraged that the boy Joffrey has designs on the Throne, no doubt at the machinations of her willful mother Cersei Lannister. She may have been my late brother’s wife, but the crafty wench is no Baratheon. She’s a Lannister through and though. And the boy is a prideful dolt.

I have no doubt that Tywin Lannister is also marching on King’s Landing from the west—curse that old relic.

We must be lighting swift, Davos if we are to succeed. My fleet launched from Dragronstone in force and this morning we arrived on the mainland and took Sharpe’s Point without serious losses. Our scouts tell us there will be stiff enemy forces which we must fight through to get to King’s Landing to the west, but I intend to drive them on as if they winds of Hell itself were at their backs.

Davos, I want you to keep your fleet in reserve in the South Narrow Sea. That way you can strike in force wherever I need you to crush and take enemy territories on the coast.

Soon our armies will link up when we position ourselves to strike King’s Landing.

Stay safe, my friend. I need you as surely as I need my sword if I am to take the Throne.

[i]Your Lord and Commander, 
                                         Stannis Baratheon[/i]

HOUSE LOBSTER

TURN 1

[i]Dearest Margaery,

It is with a heavy heart that I write to you this day. I hope this raven finds you well. I march today on orders from your father, Mace Tyrell, lord of Highgarden. We are to war against your betrothed, and I can only hope that my victory may earn me your hand in marriage. That sniveling bastard that treacherous, incestuous queen is forcing you to marry will meet the Stranger by the Valyrian steel of my sword, Redclaw. I vow that it will be an end neither swift nor clean such as he delivered to Ned Stark. I cannot say what course the army I lead shall take, for fear my raven to you be intercepted, but I pray this war be ended soon so that I may once again hold you in my arms as I did that day on the shores of the Sunset Sea. I still carry with me your likeness that I paid a painter in Oldtown eight dragons for. I pray that it brings me luck as I ride forth to win this strife.

Ser Jonos of House Lobster
True knight and bannerman of House Tyrell[/i]

[i]And on the first day the mighty fleets of our Lord did sail North to claim the Stony Shore. The Iron Isles will be ignored no longer. Gird yourself you petty warlords as a new King prepares to take the throne.

Signed,
Supreme Military Commander of the Iron Isles[/i]

(I beg your pardon gentlemen, I have not read the books nor watched the shows upon which this map is based so I’m probably going to simply threaten and intimidate my way through these letters.)

No problem. I’ve not read the books either, but have seen the HBO show. Just have fun. Think of it as improv—playing off each other and creating the narrative as we go. :slight_smile:

I’ve read all the books but Dance with Dragons, the latest one, and have watched all the episodes of the HBO series.

I’ve found A Wiki of Ice and Fire to be very useful, especially their guide to the houses of Westeros.

Houses of Westeros

TURN 4 Stannis Baratheon, Lord of Dragonstone …no…scratch that…King of Westeros

To All Lords of Westeros to the North, South and West,

This evening at dusk the armies under my banner have defeated the garrison defending King’s Landing.
The boy king Joffrey and his mother have fled the city.
Once I have consolidated my holdings and mopped up remaining resistance in King’s Land, I will assume to the Iron Throne and take my right place as King of All Westeros.

It is a great day!!

All hail me and bow before the banner of King Stannis Baratheon, Lord King of Westeros!!

I almost feel obligated to join this!

The more the merrier!
The purpose of the thread is as a little fun way to spice up this Warlight.net game the 6 of us are playing now (which happens to be using a Westeros map).

But anyone can post here of course. Your Game of Thrones expertise is welcome!

I have such little knowledge of GoT. And it turns out I was sitting in King’s Landing for the starting position. Thus, I AM THE CHOSEN BY THE GODS RULER OF ALL! KNEEL SCUM!
(or I’ll be the alternate universe dream and little king bratty McAsshole will get eliminated quickly)

TURN 5

JONOS

The Lobster’s claws were sharp. The twin axes he held swung together, meeting at the neck of the screaming Ironborn. As the man’s head spun away to splash into the Sunset Sea, the claws were on to some other purpose - parting hand from wrist or arm from shoulder as Ser Jonos made his way across the foredeck of the kraken ship. “Strength in Arms” were the words of House Lobster, and the lobster arm was its sigil, crimson on black. The Lobster wore the black - his enemies provided the crimson.

As Jonos dodged the spearthrust of the ship’s first mate, deliberately aimed to push the Lobster into the reach of the bosun’s mace, he smiled with a grim thought.

They mean to trap me, he thought. A lobster knows something about traps. He left an axe in each man’s forehead, and a cry went up from his men.

“Redclaw! Redclaw! Redclaw!” The bloodcurdling chant rent the salt air.

As formidable as the Lobster was with an axe in each hand, to see him work with his Valyrian steel blade in one hand and ironwood shield in the other made the veins of even the most battle-hardened Greyjoy bannerman run as cold as the deep water where the Drowned God dwelled. The deck ran slick with the blood and brains and entrails of the Ironborn.

Shell and claw tore through the Ironborn until one last crewmen stood between the Lobster and ship’s captain. Before the man could raise his own weapon, he fell to his knees on the deck. The fact that his knees were no longer attached to his thighs left him little choice in the matter.

“Victarion Greyjoy,” Jonos nodded curtly at the massive captain of the Iron Victory. The man wore full plate armor and a kraken helm. Brother to the would-be king Balon Greyjoy and Lord Captain of the Iron Fleet, he was feared by nearly every man to sail the sea. The Lobster was not one of them.

The Greyjoy raised his axe, the setting sun gleaming off his armored forearms. Stepping under Victarion’s swing, Jonos slammed Redclaw against his shield, crashing through plate, flesh, and bone alike. Axe and arm fell away, and before a cry could leave the captain’s lips, Redclaw slid between them.

“Arms!” the Lobstemen bellowed in unison. “ARMS!”

Jonos reached down and tossed the severed arms of the greatest Greyjoy warrior to his men.

“Strength in arms!” they shouted.

The Lobster smiled again, looking at the Greayjoy dead at his feet. No arms, no strength.

[i]My Dearest Penelope,

My army has been blessed in the form of a temproary end to hostilities with a mighty foe. This blessing turned the tide of battle and the terrible forces of Lord Jonos of House Lobster has been exiled from your beloved Iron Isles with prejudice. While my forces continue to rest therein, expansion to the east is on the horizon: Byways and Highways usher us into a second push to control the Norhtlands. Pray that the cease fire holds, Sweet Penelope, long enough that I mightest return to you a King.[/i]

Turn 21

Wilhelm: the Hero Bear King of the North

"[i]My Dearest Penelope,

My army has been blessed in the form of a temproary end to hostilities with a mighty foe. This blessing turned the tide of battle and the terrible forces of Lord Jonos of House Lobster has been exiled from your beloved Iron Isles with prejudice. While my forces continue to rest therein, expansion to the east is on the horizon: Byways and Highways usher us into a second push to control the Norhtlands. Pray that the cease fire holds, Sweet Penelope, long enough that I mightest return to you a King."
[/i]
His grizzled dirt specked hands held the message, as he read it once again, the message that Penelope would never read. The Lobster and the Bear King of the North had driven the LTC forces from the Iron Islands, and finally from Westeros.

Now, all that remained were the Lobster, the Badger, the Duke, the Father and the Hero.

The Hero Bear King of the North as his men had taken to calling him. Fending off the LTC in the South and driving the Father from North of the Wall made his legion swell with morale. He scoffed at the idea of the hero title or that of a king. He had never asked for this war, but when the petty squabbles of the South reached his door step, what else could he do?

Now his forces massed in the Narrow Sea Isles to pierce the Vale, and extinguish the Father.

TURN 27

JONOS

The Lobster was tired. Months of fighting in the Iron Islands, the West, the Reach, and now Dorne had left him weary. His shield was battered and his helm dented, but his axes were still sharp and his arms yet had strength to swing them.

Jonos did so now, and the arm of a Dornishman fell to the sand, spurting blood.

Together with the Bear King of the North, he had driven the purple pest from the Iron Islands. The victory there was marred by the collapse of his uneasy truce with the Badger of Dorne. The Badger had invaded the Reach, and now the Lobster faced a battle on two fronts. His lieutenants remained to hold the westerlands, while the Lobster led a legion of his best men to strike at the heart of Dorne.

He struck now, leaving an axe in the chest of another one of his foes.

The campaign in Dorne had gone well, and the Lobster’s ally from the North had intervened to halt the Badger’s advance in the Reach. But Jonos had received a troubling message from the Duke, Stannis Baratheon - the Badger had sacked King’s Landing. With the Gwenfather of the Vale still leading raids in the Riverlands, peace was far from achieved in Westeros, but the Lobster cared not. Fighting was what he was best at. His beloved Margaery was still captive of whatever faction held King’s Landing, and he would not rest until he held her once again. Tired or not, he would soldier on.

His men let out a yell as Jonos drew his sword, Redclaw. The Dornishmen who now fought beside them took up the cry as well.

The Badger had been a cruel master, and many Dornishmen had come over to his side, seeing an opportunity for vengeance. Only the most dedicated of the Badger’s supporters remained in the southernmost region of Westeros.

Redclaw swung, and there was one less.

I never said when this was still going on but BillyHero’s response to my last post was epic. I love this game.