Wanting to get back into comics..

But I have no idea where/how to start…

I’ve read Civil War but even then I was at times a little lost…I haven’t read comics in years and I want to get back into it but could use some advice on where to start…

Basicly the ones I am looking at are X-men, Batman, Iron man…

Any advice?

A good place to start would be the Ultimate line, Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate X-Men (Volume 1-6) and The Ultimates 1 & 2 being the best of those. They’re characters you’ll recognise, in a new continuity free universe, which really makes it easy to get.

If you want to stay in the “main” DC universe, I’d call New X-Men (Morrison + loads of artists) and Runaways a great place to start, and I almost forgot the EXTREMIS iron Man story, and Wolverine: Enemy Of The State are great too.

A great place to start with the DC universe would be the Grant Morrison JLA series, almost entirely self-contained with the (mid 90’s) DC A-List.

For more esoteric stories, Preacher and Transmetroploitan are excellent non-superhero stories, that are self-contained finate stories.

Start reading Marvel during Avengers: Disassembled area go into House of M then Civil War then World War Hulk then Secret Invasion.

Also good things to read, Annihilation Wave, Annihilation Wave:Conquest, and now War of Kings.

Or on the DC Side I’d say start after Infinite Crisis. Yeah you won’t get some stuff but they do a good job of flashing back.

Also good things to read (Both of which are more space based…weird) are Green Lantern Rebirth then everything GL and GLC related through Sinestro Corps War and now Blackest Night

Since you havent read comics in years now is the perfect time to step away from the Big 2. There are more interesting and fresh stories in the Indy sector, the market has practically exploded in the past few years.
Check out:
Chew
Fables
Atomic Robo
Rawbone
Hotwire
Fallen Angel
Killer of Demons
Planetary

There are a ton more out there, btw. Of course if Marvel/DC superheroes are your main interest then the preceding suggestions are good for catching up to many of the current storylines.

There’s Indy comics, and then theres INDY comics, Vertigo and Wildstorm are both DC, and Image… I suppose it is Indy, but hasn’t felt like it for years.

ANYway, A good comics shop will give you excellent reccomendations based on the sort of things you like in other media, so do ask them, don’t be afraid of the bearded folk in Orange Lantern T-shirts, they’re mostly not knobends.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I’ve been nosing about my local comic store after almost two decades away. I find the “Wednesday Comics” from DC to be quite entertaining.

[QUOTE=The Naughtiest Monkey;219653]There’s Indy comics, and then theres INDY comics, QUOTE]

Funny that, with DC/Marvel(and their main titles) saturating the market, I tend to consider any alternative title ‘indy’.
I just got back into comics a couple months ago and I am about to start digging hard into small press. To throw in my own Anyway, Ill wrap this up by saying follow the advice of the naughty monkey who preceded me. Ask your local comic book shop guy(if you actually visit brick and mortar stores) for hot titles in genres that you enjoy.

More suggestions (though I echo the Marvel ones listed previously, Fables, Fallen Angel, and Preacher. Double echoing the suggested Ultimate-verse ones to read; anything after those and it tends to be crap, particularly if it has Jeph Loeb’s name on it):

Ex Machina is about to wrap up, and there’s plenty of trades out for it. DC just came out with a new one called “Unwritten” that’s about five issues in and kind of crazy and awesome in an understated way. The X-men: First Class series is pretty awesome: regular X-men, Wolverine: First Class (which is basically Kitty Pryde and Wolverine have adventures), and Uncanny: First Class. It doesn’t connect back into regular continuity at all but they’re lighthearted and great.

Oh, if you’re a Whedon fan, there’s been two Serenity/Firefly miniseries and there’s ongoing Buffy season 8 and Angel: After the Fall comics that have been pretty solid.

Also so good books are:

Walking Dead
Jack of Fables (after you have read some of Fables)
Y the Last Man

and some one off books that are great and very darkly funny

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac
Squee

Also, a Dr. Horrible one-shot coming soon.

If you want to keep up with Batman… the whole run is collected into graphic novels. Batman seems to be in a constant state of mega-story. those are collected into TPB’s almost imediatly after the story concudes.

They are all still avaiable on amazon.

If you are wanting to collect… well that’s a different story.

What do you mean it’s about to wrap up. It can’t wrap up. It’s so good. Why. why you ruin my day like that

All good things come to an end. :frowning:

I am Reading Civil War right now and I am just enthralled in ways I rarely get with comics. I am looking for anything that has that amount of intelligence and intensity.