Walking Dead - TV - General Discussion

I also loved the premiere and can’t wait for Sunday nights! On a BSG-related note, I heard that Bear McCreary is doing the music for Walking Dead. I missed his name in the credits but quite enjoyed the music in the show.

My only disappointment was that they did not used that really cool fan produced video for the opening credits.

As awesome as it was it would not have really fit with the tone of the show

I can see that, and it was an easy thing to forgive. I just hoped that they would utilize it and in doing so hopefully drive more people to seek out the source material (trade paperbacks).

They wouldn’t use it for the same reason you can’t send unsolicited scripts, I imagine. But also, any creative person can tell you that their vision is the one they normally want to use, regardless of how good someone else’s is.

We’ll see that when Harry Potter relaunches in 5-10 years.

I found the premiere incredibly brilliant. It’s not so much a “zombie show” as a “human condition show plus zombies.” Just like BSG, it asks the question “at what point does your humanity end?”

Also, I like the fact that these zombies are slow and lumbering, not the African sprinter zombies like you see in 28 Days Later and Left 4 Dead.

yes. I agree. slow zombies are better… but of course I am from pittsburgh and was a lumbering Zombie in the original George Romero day of the dead. so i might be partial.
(by the way … everyone from pittsburgh thats over 40 years old was a zombie in one of George’s movies… it’s a rule. or something.)

hey Solarpilot your welsh sig line made me think of
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

a town in wales… FWIW…

Hah! It’s like Baltimore and Homicide/The Wire. You can’t not find anyone within a dead cat radius who wasn’t in the show at some point.

Yup, excellent pilot! I think the only thing I had a problem with was the funky accents, but as long as the acting remains that good, I’m sure I’ll get used to it like I did with McNulty.

I actually disagree, I thought the fan made opening had a very similar vibe to the end scene of the episode where the music was “Space Junk” and we see the zombies chomping on the horse.

The actual opening credits are fine, of course, but I would have to say the fan made one just felt a little cooler.

Is that true? Wow, how awesome. Btw, where is The Walking Dead shot?

Yeah, it’s true. Don’t know about The Walking Dead (I think that was a Philly thing,) but I was in an episode of Homicide.

According to IMDB it was shot in Atlanta, Georgia.

Phooey, it wasn’t The Wire? :smiley: Oh, all right. Homicide’s pretty great too. What was your role?

Ah, thanks!

Guy in courtroom hall. It’s a riviting three seconds.

Still digging episode 2.

Not as gripping as the first one, but still entertaining. A few lil’ things I’m willing to overlook for now, but wonder if there will be more incontinuities as it continues (stop reading now, if you don’t want any spoilers, scroll down a bit if you wanna see what I wrote):

|
|
|    
|
|
|
|
|
\/
  1. Soooo…ladders, which are actually DESIGNED for CLIMBING, pose a challenge to zombies, but a flimsy fence doesn’t?
  2. I dunno, they’re verging a bit on the fast side for zombies. A little bit.
  3. They’re gonna go BACK for skinhead??? Holy crap, are you CRAZY? If youleft someone for dead, and then that guy finds out the only reason you came back is b/c his brother GUILTED you into returning, how does that justify him NOT killing you? LOL… Besides, why wouldn’t you just lie to the brother? “Sorry, man, zombies got him…” But I’m sure it’ll make great drama and tension, no doubt.

Bottom line, still hooked, can’t wait to see next weekend’s episode!

I’m really enjoying this show. I don’t find zombies interesting or compelling, but I love the I Am Legend/Jericho fusion thing happening here.

Unlike the shows Caprica and SG-U, Walking Dead seems to have been given some breathing room to grow into itself. I suspect this is because AMC doesn’t have many scripted shows, and thus lower costs than SyFy. Capricia in particular was forced to do too much too soon, and thus left many of us feeling frustrated.

I like that they didn’t try and explain the HOW of the zombies. Right now the characters just have to deal with it. I would like to know how things started, but it isn’t weighing on me like some of the questions from LOST or Caprica did.

My only issue with zombie behavior is that one of them used a rock to break the glass in the department store. Tool use is a high order behavior. Since we don’t know much about how/what started the zombies, I’m willing to see if there are survival adaptations they develop. That would certainly raise the stakes.

I’m looking forward to Sunday nights again.

I think it helps that they have Robert Kirkman the creator and writer of the Walking dead comic on the writing staff. I think that what made the comic so successful is that its not really about the Zombies per se but about the effect the situation has on the living everyday people.

I’m aq huge zombie fan meself, got ilegal bootleg copies of the romera films here as a teenager as the originals were cut to shreds or banned outright.
I’ll roll in with others and say that the zombies, especially in episode two are a little fast for my taste, oh and <rant mode on> 28 days later was not a zombie film, they freakin’ starved, it was a virus film there were no undead in it </rant mode off>
Phaze
on the “FYI I’m not downloading this fx HD have it on here the Wed after it shows in the states” ID

Anyone watching this new series on AMC …I am and would recommend it to anyone who likes zombie apocalypse type stories :slight_smile: …did a brief search on the site and did not see any other forum posts about it so if this is a repeat I apologize in advance.

A group of us watch it while we chat online. You should join us! :slight_smile:

http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showthread.php?t=12059

I’m way into the TV show; now I’m torn between reading the comics compilations and waiting… gosh… a year or so between seasons, so as not to be spoiled.

Anyone else wrestling with this dilemma? Any thots on the matter?