Volunteering For GWC

First of all, I’d like to point out that the most important, most valuable thing that anyone can do for the GWC community is to enjoy it and participate in it. And right behind that comes sharing it with friends. (You know, people you like. Send the other ones to CNN or Slashdot or something. :))

But I’ve received dozens of PMs over the last year from forum denizens asking how they can contribute back to the community. Usually what happens is that they ask, we don’t have anything they can help with at the moment, and by the time we do I’ve forgotten who asked – and I’m too sheepish to ask anyone else to help.

So as we launch into some major work to improve the podcast, the forum, the blog – essentially all the tools that make it possible for us to interact as a community – we thought we’d launch this forum as a place to consolidate any of the issues with which we could use your help.

BIG CAVEAT: Please don’t feel as if you need to help out with anything you find in this forum in order to “be a member of the community.” As I mention above, we far more value your participation than we do any work you might take on. You’re already here, and that means you’re all right with us.

That said, if you see something posted here that you think you might be able to help with, jump right in. We envision using this forum to ask for ideas, to share topics we’re researching, and from time to time to ask for some direct help with specific tasks we’re taking on.

And thanks, regardless. Remember: we love alpacas.

With all the Frak Parties, call-ins, people losing their OGinity, caption contests, wild theories, the omnipresent gutter, random pictures of barely-clothed women (and David Hasselhoff!), it’s sometimes too easily forgotten that we’re all just Alpacas and what that animal stands for, what it means to us.

I’ve wanted for a long time to be able to give back to GWC. anything my meager skills are fit for, count me in

Me too!

As long as it doesn’t turn into anything from “Fight Club”, I may be able to help in some way.

Call me sentimental, but that’s about the most beautiful statement I’ve ever heard. I wonder: How much will it cost me per-word to have that printed on a T-Shirt?

I’d like to show my support for GWC by donating something personal—like some of my kidneys. I’ll give one to Chuck and one to Audra.
Oh frak!! Now Sean is gonna feel slighted. This plan isn’t going to work.
Damn, but I’ve already cut them out and put them in the Fedex box…Oh drat. .Stupid, impulsive Thotfullguy…

The real question is, can volunteering for GWC count towards my court-mandated community service? Hmm.

My abilities largely consist of nominally relevant historical factoids – like Shaun, but not interesting – and anal retentiveness, but I’m available.

I’m down for everything up to and including moderator status

I would love to help in any way I can - though I fear that most substantive help will have to wait until I’m ABD, which if all goes according to plan, should be sometime around April 2009… but if you need someone to help on small jobs, I’m your lady.

I’m still an alpaca! :slight_smile:

I’ll see what I can do about that…