UNIT (Doctor Who) vs S.H.I.E.L.D. (The Avengers)

If you are a Doctor Who fan, odds are that you are counting down to November 23, 2013 when the Doctor Who 50th anniversary is rumored to air. Speculation is that the UNified Intelligence Taskforce (aka “UNIT”) will be making an appearance during the special. UNIT has been around the Doctor Who universe since the Second Doctor in 1968 and continues to be a major military-style organization protecting the Earth to this day.

Odds are if you are reading this forum post is that you’ve at least heard of Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate (aka S.H.I.E.L.D.) from The Avengers. Like UNIT, S.H.I.E.L.D. has actually been around the Marvel universe since 1967 but is most noted for it’s interaction with the recent Avenger’s movie series iniative culminating in the 2012 film The Avengers. S.H.I.E.l.D. is slated to make an appearance this fall in the ABC series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and will continue to be a force in the next slate of Marvel Avengers-based movies. Also like UNIT, S.H.I.E.L.D. is a UN-based military-style organization protecting the Earth following the events of WWII.

Today’s GWC Geek Deathmatch pits both these organizations against each other. UNIT vs S.H.I.E.L.D - and BBC vs Disney. For the sake of arguement lets keep The Doctor and The Avengers Superheroes out of this one and keep it to the actualy UNIT vs SHIELD organizations. So with that MAJOR provisor, who comes out on top? SHIELD or UNIT? You decide!

so no superheroes? or just none of the ones listed int he avengers movie? becuase , as a rabid plaeyrs of the marvel avengers alliance game, there are dozens of superheroes under the SHIELD banner, so I’m going with SHIELD.
Alan

Nope. No superheros. Just ordinary S.H.I.E.L.D. humans.

I vote for UNIT, because…

I’ll go with Phil.

//youtu.be/gIaOfT5wi-M

OB

I’m torn. I foresee UNIT as having the upper hand but Fury, Agent Phil Coulson and drool Agent Hill have my full attention.

I say SHIELD would pull it out. UNIT is prepared to deal with a more narrow set of emergencies. I think SHIELD would squeak by mostly because of the combination of deep, extensive planning and Nick Fury. Though, admittedly, my knowledge of SHIELD beyond the recent Marvel movies is superficial.

Unit? Is it a BIG Unit?

After some thought I’m going to have to go with UNIT on this one. Both SHIELD and UNIT are very skilled and both regularly save the planet from the Evil forces of the universe. However, UNIT usually manages to do their work without extensive damage. SHIELD, on the other hand, fails to prevent massive battles like we see in…well all of the recent Avengers movies not to mention X-men and etc…etc…etc…

I mean, when is the last time you saw Earth permanently devastated in Doctor Who after an event that UNIT participates in? Just sayin’

So I’m going with UNIT. Besides, it’s “UNIT.” Heh heh heh heh heh heh. I said “UNIT.” Heh heh heh heh heh heh.

Order!

//youtu.be/U5AQhxi0Wow

OB

Breaks my hearts to say this but…SHIELD. UNIT is more of a “direct attack” group while SHIELD is a covert/spy group can hit you before you ever knew they were thinking of coming at you.