(Un)Official Anime thread.

I managed to watch Letter Bee Reverse (meh to ok) and Kimi no Todoke 2nd season (I liked it, but can’t give it a full recommendation). Plus, I finished A Certain Magical Index II (Toaru Majutsu no Index II) (I liked it too, but can’t give it a full recommendation).

I just finished Jellyfish Princess. I was wrong to say Excel Saga earlier. I meant NHK and Chaos;Head (do not watch Chaos;Head, save your brain cells). I couldn’t remember Chaos;Head’s title. d: But, I liked Jellyfish Princess a lot better than those two. Still not giving it a full recommendation though.

That’s a lot of anime for one weekend.

Omg! I just saw Black Lagoon: Roberta’s Blood Trail episode 4 of 5. It’s still very good, and sometimes characters are so scary in a violent, scheming sort of way. Can’t wait until June for the conclusion!

Really backlogged on my Anime, but I finally finished NOIR; loved it! They left it wide open for sequels but it came out years ago and I am unaware of any follow ups, so I guess nothing more will come of it. Oh well…

Learned that a live action version of ‘The Girl who leapt through Time’ is out, as well as a Gantz movie. And that Sucker Punch in Japan is being marketed as ‘Angel Fight’… or was it ‘Angel Battle’? Curious.

There aren’t any follow-ups, but Noir is part of the Bee Trains’ girls-with-guns trilogy. The other two are Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja. I enjoyed Madlax and Noir most, but I enjoyed El Cazador de la Bruja also.

Yuki Kajiura did a wonderful job on the Madlax and Noir soundtracks too.

The Art

I really liked the character designs. Despite some very good action sequences and some good picturesque artwork the animation itself was unremarkable, and at some points was actually sub-par. The bad stuff I am assuming was stuff they had to farm out to other art houses due to time constraints, and so I can forgive it. However the constant repeating of footage became quite annoying and they did do a little cheating with silhouettes and abstraction to save time and speed up production.

The Good Stuff

What elevates NOIR out of mediocrity is its story and music, I liked the story and became invested in the characters right away. And the music was awesome… yes of course I bought it and it is on my ipod, great stuff!

It was all in the Eyes

Here is what I saw and how I broke it down, you may not agree but here is my opinion. The character design was key to the storytelling and much of it had to do with the eyes, the eyes told you much about those who entered the story. Examples, I shall use the four main characters-

Kirika: My favorite character. She had the eyes of a child, they were wide and reflective, full of wonder at the world around her. Which was appropriate because of her memory loss, everything was new to her. Mireille a couple of times found herself talking to herself because Kirika had stopped to pet a stray cat or gawk at something inside a store window. It was one of Kirika’s most endearing qualities.

But they were also tinged by sadness, she was alone. Mireille was only with her because Kirika was a key to discovering what happened to her parents, and Kirika has no friends, or family. And ever time she attempts a friendship with someone it turns out tragically, in fact the only thing she could ever care for and not have it die was a plant.

When the switch is flipped and Kirika transforms into an assassin her eyes usually disappear, hidden by her hair, a nice artistic touch. It is as if she is mentally gone and it is her body instinctively taking over.

Near the end of the series her eyes take on a chilling change, they become hard and intense. A consequence of her programming taking over and the horror of watching all of those villagers which had welcomed her with open arms and treated her with such kindness and reverence being gunned down by soldiers. I truly feared for her at that point, it was like all of her humanity had been stripped away.

Chloe: The most tragic victim of the series, this poor girl never had a chance. Her eyes were narrow slits with small iris’s, which was a brilliant and artistic reflection of her heart and mind. Because she is a religious zealot, and sees the world through a narrow and unforgiving prism. Her only forays into the real world are on missions assigned to her by Altena, she shuns the world outside of the mansion because it is corrupted and diseased. And because of her consistent immersion in the cult of the Soldats she never has a prayer of breaking the programming.

The only time that Chloe’s eyes ever widened was when Altena praised her or showed affection or when she saw Kirika. She is obsessed with Kirika and sees her as her ultimate salvation, she believes that Kirika is her other half and they are destined to be together. And once the ritual is completed that they are bound together she will finally be complete and whole. And in the end when Kirika ultimately rejects her for another woman it breaks Chloe’s heart, she is shattered and broken by what she sees as a great betrayal. So sad and tragic…

Mireille: Mireille’s eyes are in between the other two’s. Unlike Chloe she has lived in the real world and endured its hardships, and seen it for what it really is. And unlike Kirika she has memories, though painful as they are… So her eyes are narrower than Kirika’s because she sees the world through jaded eyes, in fact it only through Kirika that she is finally able to see the beauty that is around her, and begin to appreciate it again. But her eyes are not as narrow as Chloe’s because though she is suspicious and distrustful of everyone she does not consider herself apart/removed from the world around her or above it.

It is because of Kirika that Mireille’s jaded outlook begins to soften, and the part of her heart that had hardened from past tragedy begins to heal and feel again. They both help the other to heal and discover their pasts.

Altena: She has the eyes of a Mother, caring and nurturing. But they are unfocused and not quite right, because she is delusional. She feels that the ends justify the means, and that by brainwashing these children and putting them through tortuous trials she is creating the ultimate weapons to cleanse the Earth of evil. And yet does not realize that what she is doing herself is evil.

Final Thoughts

In some ways it reminds me of Gunslinger Girl. Both are fascinating and terribly tragic and disturbing, to see children used as tools of destruction and death. Kirika was a wonderful paradox, so sweet and innocent one moment and then suddenly a cold killer because something clicked inside her head. Over all I found it a compelling and enjoyable ride, I am glad I watched it and I may one day purchase it to add it to my library so I can have it to view again. The haunting music during the action scenes was so cool, and the psuedo religous elements were a nice touch. The universe was well worked out and believable, and it was nice to see consequences for peoples actions and the tragedy that is left behind because of ones violent acts. Instead of the usual glorification.

Good character development and information was distributed at a satisfying pace. The action is believable and not graphic or over indulgent.

So in all? The story and music more than make up for any flaws in the animation. It was very enjoyable and I recommend it highly! :slight_smile:

Wow… You really liked Noir. d:

Give Madlax a try then El Cazador de la Bruja.

GASP!

I just found FLCL on Netflix instant watch.

Which started a twitter conversation as to if it’s safe to watch at any speed.

I was never crazy about FLCL, but I was in the minority in my anime club when it came out.

Nice signature picture, Omra. ^^

Over Mothers Day weekend, I had the chance to watch When They Cry - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Higurashi no Naku Koroni Gaiden Nekogoroshi-hen/When Cicadas Cry Extra - Cat Killing Chapter, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei. I had seen really good ratings for the first series on Anime News Network, Anidb, and Anime-Planet. Horror isn’t really my bag, but I can enjoy a good psychological thriller.

Right from the first scenes of the first episode of the first season, I could tell this was gonna get very dark. But by Crom, the first season makes Claymore and the end of Berserk look like walks in the park (ok, maybe not Berserk so much). I do not know how I got through them. If someone had warned me, I might have stayed away. However, the story more than made up for it. And, they are 5-7 episodes out of the 26 (usually the first episode of each arc) that are “light-hearted.”

I’m so glad I stuck with it. The second season, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, which I watched after Nekogoroshi-hen, made the whole series very worth while for me. The second season was still dark, but not nearly as much as the first season.

Problems people may have is they you get hints about the main plot very slowly in the first season. But, by the second season, you should be good. The darkness may turn a lot of people off. But if you can push through, you’ll be hugely rewarded.

All I say about Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei is that it’s a nice little extra. The main plot of this “season” was a nice twist.

So, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni series as a whole gets a recommendation from me, but I know it won’t be for everyone. The first season was difficult for me to get through, but boy I’m glad I did!

While writing this post I’ve discovered Umineko no Naku Koro ni - When the Seagulls Cry, so I’m gonna try that next.

Ah… No takers?

I just finished Umineko no Naku Koro ni. The beginning and ending are good, but it slopes in the middle. I want to give it a recommendation, but…

It has no ties to Higurashi except for one character, and it’s a very weak tie. The character in Umineko no Naku Koro ni makes no reference to Higurashi, so it may as well be a unique character altogether.

IMO, the story in Umineko is weaker compared to Higurashi. I just wasn’t buying a few things in the middle. Plus, the characters weren’t as likable. I was wishing that one character would be gotten rid of and she was supposed to be a protagonist… I feel sad for that fact. d:

I’m partly at fault for not liking this series as much. Higurashi set the bar high, and I went in with preconceptions. So, take that as you will.

On the plus side, Higurashi’s darkness made this Umineko’s darkness easier for me to cope with.

Burst Angel

I finally got back to revisiting this series and finishing it, and am glad I did. The show sucked me in right away by using a culinary student to introduce the team to the viewer, something I could relate to ( I am a Chef). All of the team members are likable and attractive, and each has a unique strength and skill set. And I found all of the character designs very appealing as well as the mech designs, great stuff!

The music is quite good and the animation is a good blend of classic animation and CGI, the CGI is not overused which I appreciated. There is some repeated footage but not enough to make me roll my eyes in frustration, I personally found the writing and storytelling exceptional. You were never given too much information too early(or subjected to drawn out exposition), just enough to keep you hooked and invested in the story and characters.

I am not sure if the people of Tokyo think of themselves as culturally superior to those in Osaka, or if it was an inside joke I was not privy to… But I was puzzled and somewhat offended by the voices of the Osaka characters, they all sounded like Hillbillies. Maybe someone can let me in on the joke, Osaka is the third largest city in Japan and the commercial capital; so forgive me for not seeing them as hicks or rural rubes.

Anyways, it never got too dark. But it is a very tragic story and I never saw the ending coming, it really shocked me. In my opinion it was a great series. :slight_smile:

El Cazador de la Bruja

This series was a feast for me, the animation was lush with color, movement, sweeping landscapes and delightful character expressions. I really liked the character designs and enjoyed the change of venue, it was fun (and somewhat humorous) to see how the Japanese viewed Mexico. The music was not great but competent, though there were a few real gems. The strongest part for me was the story and the way they told it, it was truly compelling. I could not help but fall in love with Nadie and Ellis, and a host of other characters that pass through the story are wonderfully well rounded and appealing. Hell even the villains (except one) and the maybe-maybe-not/villains are for the most part either tragic victims or have understandable motivations or may even be redeemable.

I was surprised and moved by just how much heart this series had, I had expected it to be an action anime with a supernatural bent. But it was sooo much more. It has comedy, action, romance, womance, slice of life, espionage, spy thriller, conspiracy, magic, genetics, bounty hunting, road trips, moral dilemmas and … even more.

Ellis reminded me in many ways of River Tam; a sweet, innocent and naive child with a dark secret and no way of controlling the power within her yet. She was a joy to watch, and a cheerful counter point to the bedlam and destruction going on around her.

My only complaint was the bullshit red herring crap in the end credits, what is up with that? Why did they put all that misleading Sailor Moon-like masked gentleman crap in there? It has nothing at all to do with the story at all. Other than that the whole thing was a sheer joy to watch, an emotional roller coaster and a heartening story.

I would not hesitate to recommend either of these shows to anyone.

There’s a Burst Angel OAV. I dunno if you’ve seen it.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=5477

Osaka accent is sort of an inside joke I suppose. The accent is brought up in series like Azumanga Daioh. Osaka accents are used for comedic affect at times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai_dialect#Background
“Since Osaka is the largest city in the region and its speakers gained the most media exposure over the last century, non-Kansai-ben speakers tend to associate the dialect of Osaka with the entire Kansai region. However, technically, Kansai-ben is not a single dialect but a group of related dialects in the region. Each major city and prefecture has a particular dialect, and residents take some pride in their particular dialectical variations.”

Now, you get to try Madlax right?

That and I picked up Gunsword, I need to finish Aquarion, and I am jonsing to revisit Area 88. I have only seen bits and pieces of it over the years and I would like to see it all the way through, the box set just arrived along with my Silent Mobius DVD’s…

Plus I have been slowly making my way through Bleach (up to volume 21) and just started watching a little Brain Powered (not real keen on it).

Haven’t seen Gunsword. Aquarion was ok. Barely remember Area 88.

I liked Bleach. I just wish it could have stuck with the main plot for the whole series. But at least you can avoid the filler seasons. I’m not a fan of the filler seasons except for the Zanpakut? arc.

Brain Powerd had great music at least except the opening. Hope you didn’t pay money for it though. d:

Gunsword had really good reviews so I picked it up while Amazon was having their big Anime sale.

Bleach and Brain Powered I am getting in the mail from Netflix, if Brain Powered doesn’t pick up some I may skip it and start watching either Chrono Crusade or Avenger in its place. I am enjoying the Bount arc on Bleach right now…

I’m an OCD completionist and I was sorry I finished Brain Powerd.

Chrono Crusade was very good! Avenger was so so.

The new Voltron Force looks Frakking awful!!!

//youtu.be/gwTB0cOh9lk

FastCart, is that your car? :smiley:

No, mine would look like Totoro…or a podracer using Jato packs. d: I’m sure a picture exists on the web somewhere.

I hear you, or how about the Cat-Bus? That would be sweet! :smiley:

That’s what I meant. Lack of sleep didn’t help me there.