Twilight Imperium

There’s a pretty epic sci-fi boardgame that my brother and his friend introduced me to, called Twilight Imperium, that basically plays like an old-school 4x space strategy game. It’s huge, complex, expensive, and time-consuming; just setting it up is an undertaking, and it can literally take an entire day to play through one game. However, it well and truly is awesome and a blast to play, especially if you’re a fan of computer games like Master of Orion II. Between the vanilla game and the two expansions, there are a ton of different races to choose from, all these different ships and units you can build, and multiple ways to achieve victory. I’m sure someone else around here has played it before and knows what I mean. If you haven’t played it but enjoy these kind of games and have the means to do so, I would try it out, even if it’s just once. It’s a hell of a way to spend an afternoon.

this does looks … intriguing.

Twilight Imperium 3rd edition <---- BGG linkage.

I’ll give it a look. Real Life prevents playing much at this time, but the joy of grappling with a large and expansive game is always a fun time.

I burned vast quantities of time on MOO2 back in the day.

Thanks

Thanks for putting that boxshot and link up there, Oddball. I completely forgot about that last night, heh.

My bro and I don’t have time to play much ourselves, and it definitely IS a large and expansive game that burns up alot of hours - but its definitely fun. And ditto on the MOO2 - I still burn time with it every now and then.

OH MY GODS!! I LOVE TWILIGHT IMPERIUM!! (why am I shouting?).

My friends and I have played it often and we for a couple years played it via Play By Email / Online. It took about a year to play a full game. A turn tended to take a least a week online, but it was FUN!!

about once a month it gets played at the local gaming store. There’s actually an expansion for it now (more factions!)

Yup yup. I got all that stuff. The Hope’s End expansion.
The new races Mentak and Yssairil.

I even have the new races that aren’t in any game or expansion: The Bolgorn, the … I can’t remember, but there’s a bunch.

There’s a whole bunch of folks out there on the Nets that play Twilight Imperium online.

I just googled this one http://www.mts.net/~meowchow/Vanilla_ISCream/index.htm

And another http://www.oocities.org/ti3_pbem/storm/

I don’t know that person at all, so hopefully he doesn’t mind me posting a link. But that’s just an example of folks playing TI by email/Web.

My husband’s a board game geek, you bet your ass we have this one. My attention span is entirely too short to play it, though.

Our gaming group is planning to play this game once or twice a year. It really is an undertaking each time, but delivers a great gaming experience.

Love it. Twilight Imperium is so great. It’s complex, but my friends and I enjoy complex games.
On our scale of 1 to 10 it’s only 5.

As I said, for years we played it as a web Play by Email game.
Took about a year each time to play 10 - 15 turns of the game and have a winner.
So much fun posting political comments to each other, essentially role-playing as leaders of our races— which adds an element that you wouldn’t have playing face to face.

We are planning our next game in June. It is looking to be a 6 player game and will likely be using elements from both expansions. I am especially interested in adding in some of more in depth political options from the second expansion. You mentioned you have some new races not from expansions…I assume they are fan created races distributed online?

Yup. Fan created races distributed online. And since we were PLAYING online anyway it was fine to just have the material digital.

I forget the names of the races…though Ysarril and The Bolgorn come to mind.