Trilife

I’ve been going back and forth regarding whether or not to post this since the writer’s forum was rolled out. On the one hand, I’m really eager to get it out there, get some feedback, and all the other related goodness. We also have the other hand, however, it which lies my crippling fear that I’m a legitimate contender for the Worst Writer in the Universe award. Y’know how crabs tend to have one teeny-weeny claw and one massively-imposing crushing claw? Yeah, just like that.

However, I’ve encountered an epic case of writer’s block since throwing down this initial piece. I really want to continue this story, but can’t really figure out what I want to do next. I’m hoping that putting this out for GWCers to read and talk about will give me the spark to take up the pen again (technically, take up the headset again, but that just doesn’t have the same ring to it).

Before you actually read what I have, I suppose some basic framing is in order. When I first wrote this, I intended it as a prologue of sorts to a novel. I’ve had the basic concept of this story in my head for about four years, and I knew that it would continue to bug me if I didn’t at least take a crack at writing it. In many ways, it’s more of a “teaser” than a prologue. I intended it to pique interest in the story’s key narrative device and establish a tone rather than tell a self-contained story. I’m not sure how far it gets towards any of those goals, though.

So, I’m basically looking for feedback and discussion of all sorts. What do you like? What do you dislike? Is it too humorous or too drab? Is the concept remotely interesting? I know I’m not giving a heck of a lot to formulate opinions from, so feel free to criticize my lack of prolificacy as well >.>

Without further ado and blathering…Trilife

Prologue

“But that’s not all…” pitched the nasally voiceover, “call in the next three minutes and we’ll double the amount of time you get with our certified past-life regression experts! That’s 20 minutes for only 19.95!”

Leto scoffed as he glanced at the screen. The wavy purple background and gently-strobing green phone number were probably intended to subtlely convey the mysticism and wonder that the ad was obviously shooting for. In reality, all they did was pose a danger to the seizure-prone.

“If for a second you find yourself questioning whether or not your call is worth it,” the voiceover continued, “just ask yourself, isn’t knowing the deepest secrets of your past outter selves worth the price?”

“Late-night infomercials are nothing if not interesting glimpses into the psyche of the sad, unemployed thirty-somethings of the early 21st century,” Leto thought to himself as he chucked a handy racquetball at the push-pull power switch of his ancient TV, turning it off. With any luck, he’d widely miss one of these days and crack the screen. Then he’d have an excuse to upgrade.

Leto actually tried a place like the one being advertised, once. Not really because he believed in reincarnation (at least not in the traditional sense), but because he wanted to test them. After over 15 minutes on the line, they weren’t able to get a “clear image of his true self” and suggested he pay for an additional half-hour so they could continue trying. That meant either they were full of shit or were legitimate but somehow attuned to a different type of…situation…than his. The prize behind door number one seemed a much likelier explanation.

He walked over to the window, and pried apart two slats on the blinds to get a better view of the street below. It was raining hard, and the red neon from the vacancy sign across the street appeared as a diffuse reflection on the asphalt, steadily pockmarked by the falling drops. A yellow taxi rolled up to the entrance of his complex, and a man in a beige trenchcoat and black fedora got out. The downpour didn’t seem to affect him, and he casually moved towards the doors until he was out of Leto’s view. “I’m living in a goddamned film noir,” Leto muttered to himself as he continued to survey the dreary world outside his window, “I’ve got to get the hell out of Seattle.”

Letting the blinds snap back to their normal position, he redirected his attention to the mattress in the far corner of the room. He was feeling tired, finally, and hurried over to the mattress to welcome the prospect of sleep. With it, he would hopefully find himself in 2103 Vancouver, B.C. Just as likely, however, he could end up back on the farm. Even that would be better than his present locale, though; it’s much easier to stay off the grid in 1872.

Leto’s situation was a unique one, to say the least. As far as he knew, he was the only one to ever face it. He often wondered if Kurt Vonnegut had been a shifter too, as the life and times of Billy Pilgrim often struck him as eerily familiar. Yes, Leto often described himself as “unstuck in time” – back when he used to surf the fringe BBSes, that is. Before he instituted his minimal interference policy on all but his 22nd century self, Leto would often tell his story to anyone that would listen in hopes of encountering someone that shared his predicament. The story of Billy Pilgrim provided a decent analogy when trying to explain the basics to others. To those who had read it, he didn’t need to bother explaining the basics of time-shifting. He could skip straight to what made his own situation unique: shifting not within his own lifetime, but between three different lives. Leto never did find anyone that was like him, though. His ramblings usually just resulted in a boot from the SysOp, driving him to find a new BBS to prowl.

“All alone in the world, all alone in time,” Leto thought as he lay on the mattress, waiting for the arrival of sleep and the shift that would accompany it. “Just me, myself, and I. And Kurt, maybe…”

In the past when I’ve posted one of my stories I would frantically wait for comments. Minutes would pass and no comments. Was anyone reading? Did anyone care? Did anyone like it? So, I understand your desire for feedback. Yet, here I am trying to comment on your piece and finding it difficult. Not because I didn’t like it but because I want to be constructive and not just say, “It was good.”

You did a good job at describing the scene and the character’s state of mind. I really liked the film noir comment. Made me giggle. Using Vonnegut to get the audience up to speed was pretty good, I began to wonder if Kurt might show up later…or Billy.

Hey, no worries. As I said, I’m hoping that even just getting this out there will give me some motivation to work on it again. As for an appearance by Kurt or Billy, it’s definitely something that’s crossed my mind. Mayhaps…

I too, like this, but sadly it is after midnight and I have no constructive, coherent thots for you. I shall endeavor to pull myself together and comment this week. I plan to post my own work here as well, so I wanna be sure to contribute to others before I ask for feedback in return.

Speaking of, there’s a great site I used to be a member of called Critters.org, that’s fabulous for critiquing sci-fi/fantasy/horror stories. You have to critique a bit before you can post a story, but the site’s incredibly well-run and I always got good feedback.

Good luck, 3.

I posted my dream story and had to wait like…30 hours or something for a post. I was freaking out

I haven’t had a chance to read the story. I would rather read something for critique when I can sit down & not get interrupted. So, at work this is not possible. However, I found this blog post from Laurell K Hamilton, quite helpful with writing advice, but more specifically with writers block.

Opinion is forthcoming. Please be advised, I am an everyday dude and not an editor, so while my feelings on your piece are valid (to me, at least) you may not feel they ring true(grains of salt, and all that):

The premise is intriguing, although I think the big payoff will probably be character driven.
Not enough sensory details. The noir comment was decent, but not really enough to put me in the scene. Although maybe it would have been fleshed out if you had kept writing.
Kurt Vonnegut: Ive never read him, so all of the references did nothing for me.
BBS’s: If it fits the story in more than an offhand way I can deal with it, but message boards are not exciting and conjure up real vague images.

Time travel is awesome, hope you end up writing more. If you find yourself blocked, find a writing prompt on the internet and freewrite. Sometimes if you focus too much on a single thing you tend to lose the big picture. Can’t see the forest for the trees as they say.

Hi The3,

Here I am, a little later than I promised, with a bit better of a critique for you than, “It was good.”

I’ll first point out that I liked a couple of your descriptive notes:
>> blinds snap back into place
>> steadily pockmarked by the falling drops
>> “I’m living in a goddamned film noir”
These are nice, and the last quip gives me some insight into Leto’s character. I’d like to know more. Your prologue sets up the facts of his situation and makes him sound very lonely. I hope he finds out what he’s shifting for.

The first thing I thought of when you described the time-shifting was The Time Traveler’s Wife, because I’d just seen trailers for it. But you quickly explained that he’s shifting among three different lives, not just one. This intrigues me. Do these three lives connect thematically, plotwise, or something? I’m interested to learn how they play out. So there–you have me anticipating. Good job.

The other similarity is one you pointed out yourself in the narrative. I’m sadly unfamiliar with Kurt Vonnegut, so I don’t know if the Billy Pilgrim comparison helps or hinders. How much do you want to use someone else’s work to describe your own in the opening paragraphs? It’s not a bad thing, I just want to make sure it works for you.

A bit of a style note. Near the top of the prologue, you went from one italicized paragraph indicating the voice on the television, to another italicized paragraph indicating Leto’s thoughts. I was a little confused for a moment and thought that the critique of late-night infomercials was coming from the TV itself. Perhaps you could flip sentences and open that paragraph with Leto’s racquetball-chucking action, and then voice his thought. Just a suggestion to make it more clear.

All in all, I think you concisely set up your character and his situation in this short prologue. Nicely done. I hope some good stuff happens from this.

Hey folks,

I want to thank everyone who commented and/or read this. In the weeks leading up to the beginning of this quarter of school, I thoroughly embraced laziness and didn’t even look at this thread. I’m trying to get back into the mode of writing now, though, since I think it will be a good relaxing activity that I can use to keep my head throughout what’s shaping up to be a crazy term.

Inspired by Glim and the Crüe’s (relatively) recent discussion of the initial release of Great Expectations, I’m tentatively considering a serialized format for this as I continue. My main motivation for this is that, while I have a general idea of an overall arc, I’m a little unsure as to whether some points really work or whether they’ll come off as clichéd. I figure a serialized release will afford Trilife (this is starting to look more and more like an insurance company name to me…) the opportunity to evolve more organically by taking in feedback from readers as it grows. For the sake of readability, I’ll probably be releasing chapters through my website rather than directly pasting the text into this thread. I’ll still announce releases here, though, and use this as the primary discussion spot. More details soonish…

Also, one quick note:

When editing my original document this morning to tighten it up a bit, I noticed that I had altered my original formatting when I pasted the prologue in here. As originally intended, the only italicized text was internal thought; this made it a bit more easily differentiable from dialogue. One of the many formatting irks inherent to trying to translate a document into a post >.>