Training Day 1 - some encouragement please

I don’t know that I really need it. I sat down with a trainer for the first time today. Talked for a little more than an hour and did a very simple workout.
A few minutes of jogging
A few squats
A few lunges (my new least-favorite thing)
A few pushups

And then I got winded. Light-headed, mild nausea. My trainer stopped us and we sat for a bit. Then we were done. It was kind of scary, and unexpected. Anyone else deal with something like this? My trainer said he was concerned something might happen. I’m not in the worst shape of my life, but the 15 minutes with my trainer was way more intense than the cardio that I used to do, and it didn’t seem like an intense workout at all.

I’m surprised and blown away. I’m willing to go through it all, I just kind of want to know that I’m not the only one like this.

it’s TOTALLY normal…and honestly it’s better off then not noticing how much you were doing and then feeling it all after it’s over (I’ve had that after some long hockey games…hell I had it last night after a hockey clinic turned into an hour of non-stop hockey and skating back and forth (wasn’t ready for it))…it’s just your body trying to re-adapt…there are few things more important to your health then listening to your body :slight_smile:

Keep at it…but don’t feel bad about a precautionary setback!!!

During the first leg workout at my gym I went up a staircase carrying a ten-pound weight, got to the top, and wanted to die. I had to sit for a while because I was absolutely certain that I was going to throw up. Luckily now I know when I’m pushing myself to that point and I back off before I get nauseated. But it happens, don’t be discouraged, just be careful and try to listen to your body.

Part of the process is identifying those limits and working past them. I’ve definitely had moments in my trainer-driven workouts where I didn’t think I’d make it. Sometimes we’re just not ready for a specific exercise, too, and have to work up to it. Some examples for me:

The first time we did squats on the Smith machine, I just couldn’t do 'em. The bar hurt my back really bad, the motion felt really unnatural, and my legs gave out after just a few reps. We ended up backing off to dumbbell squats and some body- weight squats, jump- squats, etc. A year or do later we’re back to doing all sorts of squats, including Smith squats.

Deadlifts were pretty much the same story.

It definitely took time to build up to longer cardio work, including the kind you mention. Jump squats, for example, killed me when I first started them, but plugging away got me through it.

Chuck, I’m sure when I get to hell, I’ll stab mister Smith in his cold black heart :slight_smile:

To this thread, I’d say the you might want to tell yourself that “you are trying to get better than you were yesterday”.

“winded. Light-headed, mild nausea.” … sounds like you’re alive.

Keep Calm and Carry On.

I prefer free weight squats in a power rack. You get more range of motion and more use of balancing muscles, but also more chance of injury if you aren’t careful with your form.

Echo the encouragement here. I started working with a trainer in ok-ish cardio condition but she kicked my ass (in the good way) in the first 6 sessions or so. And sometimes you have an off day… in fact, last month I got really lightheaded in a workout with her and we had to take a 5 minute break and then switch up her plan for the rest of the session. Pay attention to your body and its limits, but hitting them is part of the process of improving. Good luck!

I recently (about 8 months ago) started working out again. When I started, I had over 200 pounds to lose. My first workout was 5 minutes with two rests. I am up to 45 minutes of cardio regularly and resistance workouts 3 times a week. A couple weeks ago I signed on with a personal trainer, primarily because of the FitSmart podcast, but also because I was not developing a decent workout on my own. The workouts the personal trainer has me go through are way more difficult and almost disheartening. When I look back on the workouts, I can’t believe how those simple exercises cause so much pain.

That being said, nausea could be related to a few things. I notice a significant increase of nausea when I am not hydrated enough. I also notice an increase of nausea when I am not having enough calcium. When I have not had enough to eat before the workout, or I eat the wrong things before the workout I also have nausea. Winded/Light-headed could be normal from a workout, however it could also be a symptom of some medical issues.

I don’t want to say “everyone gets winded when they start” without saying “maybe check with your doctor”. Personally, I have another 120 pounds to lose. I get winded after every workout. I got scared though, and had a treadmill stress test done with my doctor. It sounds like your trainer did the right thing by stopping. You are not alone in struggles with workouts, but be wise with your health.