Torchwood renewal is iffy

Via the TCA

Starz’s Torchwood may have delivered strong reviews and solid ratings, but fans shouldn’t expect the network to renew the Brit import anytime soon.

Before stepping before reporters at TV critics tour, Starz CEO Chris Albrecht told EW he doesn’t envision the cult favorite as an annual event. The show’s 10-episode order was a large and unusual commitment for Torchwood partner BBC, he pointed out, and he hinged the pickup more on whether creator Russell T Davies comes up with a great new idea that can work for both partners. “Torchwood is not one of the show we went into thinking about a yearly return,” Albrecht said moments later to critics. “It’s about Russell T Davies … he has a lot of things on his plate. If Torchwood is at the top of his list, that will effect the future of Torchwood.”

Link here

I read a similar article, which also quoted Russel T. Davies as saying he envisioned himself moving on from sci-fi and leaving TW strong enough that new writers (Espenson?) to take it over. Starz then made the statement that they not only weren’t sure TW would be an annual thing but also they wouldn’t continue with it without RTD. I’m sure when he RTD made his statement that he didn’t predict that Starz would use that as their out to dump the franchise. Sigh. It’s a shame. I’ve heard a lot of grousing about the series only 3-4 episodes in but I’ve been enjoying it so far. It has a different feel but still that ominous undertone that makes you think that something big is going to hit you in the gut like it did with CoE.

I try to keep away from any TW news because I’m (eternally) a few episodes behind, but it surprises me that people aren’t liking it. I’m liking it at LEAST as much as CoE, compared to how far we are through the story.

This season has been much, much weaker than CoE, in my opinion, but it’s been okay. I’m not surprised that Starz came out with this statement, and I must say I agree- don’t get me wrong, I’d like Torchwood to come back next year, but only if there’s an idea that merits it. I don’t want to see mediocre Torchwood or even the interesting but very flawed Torchwood of this season. I want the ballsy, introspective Torchwood of CoE, or none at all.

BE STILL MY HEART IT’S KEARA!

I have missed seeing you around here so much!

Still haven’t watched CoE–it’s my planned guilty pleasure tv viewing while the fiancee is camping next week. (guilty because I’m supposed to be watching Torchwood and the 5th season of Doctor Who with her. Oops!)

I watched the entirety of CoE last night. It’s quite good, actually… Far better than the rest of the series itself, in my opinion. I have yet to see Miracle Day, though.

I just started it tonight. It is good so far, yes. But it’s weird having such a small team… and knowing what I know…

Okay, I dug through my pocketses, and I KNEW I still had two cents in there somewhere to contribute…

I had to warm up to the first season of Torchwood initially, and it took a good three or four episodes to win my heart. (Tosh could have really disappeared early on and I wouldn’t have blinked, Weeping Angels or no. Sorry, she just irked me something fierce.) But by the time the CoE series aired, I was dyed-in-the-wool, and that particular piece of writing is BRILLIANT. I won’t say anything in case you haven’t finished it yet, Buck, but as a full-grown-boy with thick enough skin, for a TV series to bring big, sloppy tears to my eyes is a testament to some exceptional work.

That said? I’m a little milk-toast over how Miracle Day has been playing out. I knew the Americanization was going to take its toll, but this is a little more than I expected, and one of the binding elements of the show throughout – Jack’s smarmy, hedonistic suave – is practically an afterthought in these scripts. I will say that I’m surprisingly okay with Rhys, whom I could have taken or left in earlier seasons, but the chemistry just doesn’t seem to be working here, and I’m having trouble articulating exactly what it is that leaves me…meh.

Maybe it’s the over-reliance on the whole contact lens thing, or the fact that Rex just reminds me of Danny Glover’s gravelly “I’m gettin’ too old (undead) for this sh**”, or what, but…

sigh

I lurk and sneak in a post here and there. :wink: Thanks for missing me. <3

Funny, because a couple times each episode I think he reminds me of Tracy Morgan.

Maybe I’m too American myself, but I’m really enjoying Miracle Day. I’m not noticing any of the problems that others are talking about and I’m finding the plot twists to be pretty riveting. Maybe it’s no Children of Earth, but if that’s the bar I’d never watch TV again.