To Trainer or Not To Trainer

Disregard the cost of a trainer, can and how does a trainer improve your workout?

I have been doing self motivated and self prescribed workout over the last few months but I know that my motivation is slipping and that I might be headed to that dreaded plateau. Would it be helpful to get outside help?

Thanks

I can’t speak to the value of having a personal trainer, but I can speak to the value of bringing in a subject matter expert. This is the thing they do all day, every day. Five minutes with someone can help you in ways you probably can’t imagine.

Now, for the question of motivation that is something you can only answer for yourself. Are you the kind of person who once is given a plan and steps will follow them without supervision? Will you push yourself beyond your comfort zone by yourself?

I think at the end of the day the only argument against a trainer is the money that is involved. A trainer will always push you harder than you would go on your own in a directed and expert fashion. The one time I worked with a trainer it was for a boxing class that I was the only person who showed up. Three times that hour I was on the verge of collapse and convinced I didn’t have another ounce left. He coaxed me and pushed me and in the end I finished that hour. On reflection I would have never gone that far, and I push myself.

My 2 cents. I know we have plenty of people here who can give more specific and personal accounts. Good luck!

Agreed on both counts.

If money is tight, it might not be worth it for you. I decided to sacrifice my alcohol budget, one meal out per month, and a large chunk of my new clothing budget to invest in a trainer and it has been 100% worth it. It also really depends on how expensive your area is. I know that what I pay for Hanna would cause many of your jaws to drop in horror because D.C. is a brutally expensive city. I bet getting a trainer in, say, Omaha isn’t as hard on the wallet.

I decided to put up the money and hire a trainer because I was ready for a big new challenge and needed help to accomplish my goal without hurting myself (I’d just gotten over the worst of a foot injury). Working with someone who knows what she’s talking about is really helpful. Hanna is a college student studying sports medicine, so she not only knows her job from the empirical perspective, she also understands and uses her knowledge of the anatomy and physiology aspects of fitness to enhance our work together. She also has great suggestions on nutrition when I want them.

But most of all, Hanna pushes me harder than I would push myself many days. Who wants to do the fifth set? Or dial up the resistance to a new level? Having someone there who inspires you to do it is incredibly helpful.

Another thing a good trainer will do is point out any flaws in your form or you current routine, which can save you wasted workouts, injury and frustration. When I started working with a cycling coach, I found that I wasn’t really riding more but my workouts were more focused and effective. I was getting better results from the same or sometimes less training. When your progress is more noticeable it’s easier to stay motivated.
If cost really is an option, some trainers will plan workouts for you that you can do on your own. You won’t have the trainer there to push you during each workout, but reporting to your trainer at regular intervals can help keep you going. However, if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

YES! I am so much better at push ups and planks because Hanna has made me learn how to do them right