Thots About The Premiere Live Podcast

Just a quick post-game follow-up for everyone who either missed the live 'cast or had trouble with it:

It was a crazy night to say the least.

re: TalkShoe limitations

Obviously if we do another live 'cast on the date of such a momentous event we’ve going to have to find someone with more bandwidth capacity and higher chat limitations than TalkShoe. About ten minutes into the 'cast we began picking up what turned out to be an onslaught of live listeners – enough that a) many of our regulars weren’t able to text chat because we exceeded the system maximum and b) our live audio stream from TalkShoe began to break up. It got better later, but for the first half or more of the 'cast it was pretty ugly. There’s not a lot we could’ve done on our end to improve the situation besides pausing to lose some of the listeners (!).

But how do you plan for this? It could’ve been a quiet, all-in-the-family live show like the last couple we’ve done. Or hey, Bradley Thompson and Ron Moore can pop in and all of a sudden it’s a party. :slight_smile:

The bottom line: I’m sorry if any of you had trouble getting in on last night’s massive frak party. My consolation prize is that I did get a great recording of the event which is uploading as I write this as Podcast #145.

re: Kandyse McClure and Luciana Carro

It was so kind of these fine actors to make time in their busy schedules to talk to us. Obviously we talked to Ms. McClure prior to last night’s episode, so we couldn’t ask some of the questions we’d all love to have asked. But thanks to her help (unknown to us at the time!) the interview ends up being very relevant. Ms. McClure revealed the depths of Dee – her difficult life at home prior to her stint on Galactica, her issues with her father, her loner nature – and helped make last night make sense in a way it couldn’t have otherwise.

I am, of course, steadfastly hoping that this isn’t the last we’ll see of Dee.

Ms. Carro actually fit in her discussion with us in the middle of her travel plans to attend the prop auction this weekend. I think sometimes even we uberfans sometimes forget the massive collaborative effort that’s required to make a show like BSG. Listening to Ms. Carro describe shooting her final heartbreaking scene with EJO – and hearing how much Starbuck’s Kat shout-out at the end of season 4.0 meant to her – were special moments.

After speaking to these two talented women and listening to how much work they put into “getting into” and portraying their roles on BSG, I can imagine how difficult it must have been to walk Kat and Dee to their deaths. In the boxing ring you’ll sometimes see fighters find something extra inside themselves to keep going when you couldn’t imagine that they could. They call it “going to the well” or simply “heart.” There’s a lot of that here, I think.

re: Bradley Thompson, Ron Moore, and Chase Masterson

As you can hear on in the podcast, we were shocked and surprised to have the opportunity to briefly talk to people so key to BSG and to this community. Mr. Thompson (along with Chase Masterson, who passed on her seats at the screening) was responsible for allowing long-time community members BKitty and Lady D to attend what has got to be the ultimate season 4.5 premiere frak party: the cast/crew showing in L.A.

Ms. Masterson is truly a kind person. On numerous occasions now she’s offered her help to the GWC community and asked nothing at all in return – something for which you’ll find she’s famous among not only fans but also her actor/writer/producer/director peers. I hope that you’ll all take a few moments every so often to keep track of and help promote her projects, like Yesterday Was A Lie and her various albums. She’ll also be at the Phoenix Comicon this upcoming weekend. I wish I could go. Hopefuly some of the GWCers in Arizona will stop by and thank her in person for us.

I wish we could’ve asked Mr. Thompson and Mr. Moore a dozen more questions, but it just seemed wrong to intrude on a night where these hard workers finally get to relax, sit back, and watch their art unfold. I’m sure there’ll be dozens of interviews on the 'net as I write this asking the hard questions, and I’ll go listen to them just like you will.

I’m just glad that we got to pass on our thanks. Audra said it wonderfully: these men and their crew inspired us to start GWC, and they’re responsible for thousands of GWCers taking time out of every week to watch some sci-fi and absorb the lessons it offers about who we are, why we’re here, why we do what we do, what we should do next. On a personal level, GWC has brought me dozens of wonderful friendships – relationships without which I wonder how I’d get along. I’m very proud of the fact that Audra had the level-headed notion to pass this on. It was a special moment.

re: The Meetup

As I mentioned in the post-podcast frak party earlier this morning (!), we should be posting the major details of the March meetup on Monday. Until the official announcement details could change, but suffice it to say that I’m beginning to get that “we’re gonnna win!” feeling. Currently we’re planning a large-screen group watch of (what we hope will be) the final BSG episode Friday night, a live-studio-audience GWC podcast, a group dinner Saturday night, plus lots of other fun activities in between.

This isn’t a convention. The only stars at the meetup will be you. We’re working hard to maximize everyone’s opportunity to meet each other, hang out – and geek out – together. I’m excited.

Now I’m going to go get some sleep. Thanks again to everyone who participated.

You guys are the best, thanks for a wonderful podcast!

TalkShoe has limitations indeed. BlogTalkRadio is not likely to be better. UStream might be usable but that isn’t accessible via phone and adds way more back-end crap for taking calls.

Excellent. I look forward to listening to the show that just downloaded.

This is fabulous. Excellent contacts are built.

Budget restrictions right now prevent my attendance. I wish that could change. Until then, I have my perch in Las Vegas and that’s it.

Thanks for the great cast. I couldn’t catch it live(maybe that was for the best[you had a little more bandwidth]). You may want to look up Ustream, I don’t know if they have phone-in stuff, but Leo Laporte uses it for his live feed and he has regularly 5000+ viewers without problems.

Chuck,
I just gotta say, I can’t express how proud I was of you last night–and Audra and Sean too. Just having the Dee and Kat interviews blows me away. But Bradley Thompson and then Ron Moore? The respectful but enthusiastic way you and Audra talked to him… Wow. Just wow. Aside from it being awesome to hear what RDM had to say, I felt that you represented GWC with grace and authenticity. I don’t know about other GWCers, but I for one felt you three were speaking for all of us last night, and, through you we got to thanks a great artist for his art in a way that he obviously appreciated.

Well done, my friend. Congratulations.

And don’t fret about the tech difficulties. As you said, it was uncharted territory. You kept you’re showbiz wits about you and the show went on—and ended up with an incredible, very special event.

Oh, and you spelled “thought” incorrectly by the way.
(See what I did there? :slight_smile: )

I haven’t had a chance to listen to the 'cast yet, but your post made me choke up a bit, esp. this bit:

I’m so happy for you guys!! That is unbelievable cool. :cool:

Chuck,

An excellent 'cast indeed. You guys handled ad hoc interviews like old season pros. Audra’s closing question/statement to RDM was especially poignant. Well done all around.

In terms of technical challenges, I am sure these are all surmountable. The Talkshoe issue seems fairly straightforward and alternate solutions can be figured out.

I would call last night’s 'cast/call a success. Kudos to the entire crüe!

So say we all! It was terrific from start to finish. (Remain humble - or in the well known words of an anonymous wag - “I am a modest man…and I have much to be modest about”.)

The live cast was great as always. There were a few hiccups at first but after the reboot everything worked great.

Big thanks to the Crew for all the hard work and dedication that goes into it and all the casts. Another shout out to Kandyse, Luciana, Bradley, Chase, Ron Moore, Lady D and BKitty. You can count on something special at each live cast and this time is no exception.

There are no coincidences in this world and this cast is proof. With all the unlikely things that may not have happened to make it so special, I believe everyone was blown away by the results. What Audra said was amazing and is so true. I have said before that BSG is a excellent filter for bringing sci-fi lovers together.

While it is true that BSG was the catalyst for the beginning of the podcast and the community, it is the crew that has brought us all together to form this community. If they had never put themselves out there in this way we would all be missing out on so much. There are a lot of podcasts where the listeners form around the subject of the podcast and that is the only inspiration for involvement. GWC has become so much more and is a podcast centered around the community. One could spend there whole lives and ever only meet a handful of people that really understand them. This make all the material that we enjoy that much more special because of the experience of sharing it with others.

Thank you Chuck, Sean, Audra and Forum Members for making this community an extended family. :slight_smile:

It’s all been said before and should be said again.

I am proud to be a member of this community, and I extend my heartfelt thanks to the trinity for acting as the gateway and glue for this community of scifi friends.

Hey, it’s obviously been said better, but it bore repeating.

Thank you Sean, Chuck and Audra. Thank you.

Ya know, I listen to a few podcasts who apparently record themlive with some sort of chat audience. One of them is The Instance which is the most popular World of Warcraft podcast out there. I imaging with 11 million subscribers they probably get slammed on the nights they record. I will email a few of these people & ask them how/if they avoid the pitfalls we’ve seen show up on this one. Perhaps they have some tips or suggestions to counter some of the issue we ran into on this one.

Great podcast as always & I was truly impressed at your grace under pressure.