The West Wing S2E06--The Lame Duck Congress

A wily President Bartlet (Martin Sheen) considers the extraordinary option of recalling the Senate from a winter holiday to push through a ratification of a new nuclear test-ban treaty – despite the lame-duck status of many Senators who will not return in the next session – while the drunken Ukrainian leader, Vasily Konanov (Eugene Lazarev) thunders through the White House demanding to see the President. Elsewhere, Toby (Richard Schiff) is shocked to hear that even if the Senate returns, the White House might still lack the necessary votes; Sam (Rob Lowe) learns something when he grudgingly works with new Republican assistant counsel Ainsley Hayes (Emily Procter); a stubborn C.J. (Allison Janney) argues against allowing reporter Danny (Timothy Busfield) private access to the President for a series of exclusive stories; and Donna (Janel Moloney) is on a mission to get the President to back legislation on repetitive stress injuries.

"You know, we forget sometimes. In all the talk about democracy, we forget it’s not a democracy. It’s a republic. People don’t make the decisions. They choose the people who make the decisions. Could they do a better job choosing? Yeah, but when you consider the alternatives… "

Ready. Set. Go!!

Playing…

Politics is complicated. So many wrong ways to do the right thing and so many right ways to the wrong thing.

My mom’s had carpal tunnel surgery on both of her wrists. Before the surgery, she could barely hold anything heavier than book. She’s on the computer all day, so the surgery kept her from early retirement.

The intricacies are mind-boggling.

Yup. It;s a real thing

I love that Danny knows he’s being leaked too.

Ainsley gets right into in the teasing and the banter. She totally belongs with this group…Screw you CSI Miami I hate you.

“I promise not to get Republican juice on you.” :smiley:

Ha! This thing with Vasily is hilarious. No way a guy shows up to the White House drunk with a hooker, demanding to see the Pres.

LOL. Agreed. I think CJ just wallked past a PC wth Windows 95 on it

“Hey, how you doing Dali Lama” LOL Leo

Sorry. My phone won’t stop ringing. Ugh.

Margaret is typing with her ring finger. :smiley:

It’s crazy and soooo sneaky. :stuck_out_tongue:

Josh says to Donna “Your my girl” and slaps her on the ass. I know Josh aint no sexist but he should be afraid of being perceieved that way

“You have enormous value to me. You have no value to eastern Europe.” Way to make a girl feel special Josh.

See, this is where people get into trouble. Josh and Donna have an understanding. But someone random could’ve seen that and make a complaint. :frowning:

Ainsley did kinda go out of bounds. She’s in the White House council’s office, so policy ins’t her business, but then again Sam did ask her for help—so it works.

Yeah but she handled it ass-backward. Argue first then reverse his position. But like you said, for those two, it works.

Yeah. In the real world they’d be smart to set an example.

That seems to be the theme of the episode. We you have two people with the right relatiionship, the rules dont apply

Like this Ukraine President and Pres Barlet. — the countries are “friends” and you can get around the rules in the name of friendship.