The West Wing - S2 E08 - Shibboleth

The West Wing - S2 E08 - Shibboleth

CJ: I’m the Thanksgiving cruise director around here.

It’s Thanksgiving, and CJ, to her dismay, is in charge of the turkeys. Eric and Troy vie to be the lucky turkey featured in the annual Presidential pardoning ceremony, while CJ is appalled to learn that the loser is headed for the chopping block. The President faces a tough situation when Chinese evangelical Christians arrive in San Diego and ask for asylum in the U.S. Toby urges the President to name Leo’s sister to an education post not in spite of but because of her controversial past opposition to school prayer. Charlie tirelessly searches for an appropriate carving knife for the present and is rewarded with a priceless gift. And Toby, Josh, and Sam finally get around to inviting CJ to their Thanksgiving Day football fest.

Bumping the the thread. Ready for 9.

Pressing play…

Happy Thanksgiving

You ever been to San Diego? Its nice. Stuff to do.

I’ve never been. We had a trip planned, but cancelled it when we found out we were moving out of California.

I bet the holidays like Thanksgiving are they only days they don’t have tons to do. And even then things come up

Oh! I didn’t realized you had lived in California at one time.

Yep. We’ve been all over. 8 states in 12 years.

I like how she never takes her coat all the way off.

Sick daughter alert! I’ll be right back. Don’t pause

Okay. But I will pause if you need me too.

Sorry to hear your kid is sick.

Ouch. I couldn’t take that.

I changed colleges part way through college. The new college was cheaper and closer to home. But I had some religious bent to it. Once teacher had us pray before class every day.
It was creepy, and pretty annoying to a non-religious guy like me.

My 8yr old got sick in the bus ride to school this morning. Hurls every 30 mins. Poor baby.

I can see how you’d find that uncomfortable.

In a lifetime of attending church and 5 years of catholic school, I had never heard the term Shibboleth until I saw this episode. And I still haven’t heard it or seen it referenced outside of this show. I guess it makes me skeptical of this oval office scene. But I’m not a bible scholar, so…