The Transformers Arc, Version II

We’ve been mentioning it for some time, but we’ve finally reached the start of our new Transformers arc. Personally, I think it’s going to be a great time for all.

The idea for this arc originated a long time back – prior to the first Transformers live action flick. Sean was very excited about the movie, and we ended up discussing it a lot. One week we were stuck driving a long way each day to a series of meetings, and (of course) the topic in the car on the way there and back was… Transformers.

I was a little too old for the show when it hit TV, so I’d pretty much missed out. Consequently, I saw the whole franchise as pretty much just some crap created for kids to sell toys.

My bad.

During those long drives Sean gave me the (basic) low-down on some of the kick-ass stories the mass of various writers who were handed the keys to the robots created. From the concept of life on Cybertron to the matrix and relationships among the various 'bots – I was hooked. By the time we saw the movie, I was pumped, and I really, really enjoyed it.

We’re going to do our best to deliver that experience to you as well. Next week you’ll get a chance to hear some of what I heard in the car, directly from Sean. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did (and do).

Those of you wondering what to Netflix to stay on top of the 'cast, I’d recommend queuing up the 1986 Transformers animated movie and, of course, the 2007 live action. If you’re hard-core, you’re welcome to grab some of the G1 cartoon wherever you can get your hands on it, but we’re going to be discussing Transformers story arcs from that period moreso than specific episodes.

Come to think of it, forget Netflixing the 1986 movie. Just go buy it. Sean found his copy in the proverbial “bin” for $5, and it’s available new for like $10. And with voice talent like Orson Welles, Leonard Nimoy, and (heh) Judd Nelson, just grab it.

I’m really looking forward to this arc. Like you Chuck, I was too old for the show as a kid (not that there’s anything wrong with that!) and oddly enough, my boys are a bit too young to have watched much of it on TV. They really came of age in the Pokemon era. I plan on renting the 1986 flick and no one needs to twist my arm to watch the live action film again.

Are you planning to cover any of the Transformer comic books by any chance? There have been several over the years and have forged their own legacies with the Transformers, often adding and expanding on to what was seen in the original cartoons. While they are usually separate continuities from the cartoon the live action movies have been borrowing some elements from them, not to mention the comics that tie directly into the movie. I’d love to hear some talk about it, if that’s possible. I could maybe even get digital copies of the comics for you.

Looking forward to this…I also missed a lot of this…but looking forward to learning more

I’ve never seen Transformers, so this should be fun.

As you can see, I’ve changed my avatar of the Transformers arc.:wink:

I’m looking forward to this arc. I’m a newish listener, so, I’ve been listening to a lot of old episodes. I was just barely too young for the TV show, but I remember seeing it here and there. I came across the 1986 movie when it came out on DVD and that brought it all back to me, and the movie was awesome of course.

The best thing about the 1986 film? Weird Al on the soundtrack.

Was that “Dare to be Stupid?”

I forgot about that. Was it the scene with the Quintessons’ Sharkticons? Or was it when they were introduced to the Junkions? I can’t remember. It’s been so long. I’ve been holding out on a re-watch for the frak party.

I think the latter.

I’ve never seen the movie, but I am aware of all internet traditions.

Google be praised:

//youtu.be/ABGOXvERUiA

This one?

//youtu.be/l4wFUIRCFV4

Try this:

//youtu.be/K1YCztmwPZs

(Click through, the guy’s got a bunch. Mostly NSFW)

So I never really cared for the Transformers animated show as a kid, even though I was more or less the right age to watch it. But GWC hasn’t steered me wrong yet so I’ll give it another try just for you Sean! :slight_smile:

Yep, Dare To Be Stupid. I’m not sure exactly how it fit into the scene, but it was great! I remember when I used to sit at home and play my N64 and listen to the Weird Al album that had Dare To Be Stupid on it. Aaaah… memories… Oh yeah, Transformers too! I can’t wait to watch the classic movie with you all.

Wow. That guy’s pretty good with the voices, especially his Starscream.