The Serrano Legacy by Elizabeth Moon

This is a very good series. Though I have not read any of the Honor Harrington novels (I’m waiting till I can afford to get them on audible) I have heard this series is very similar to it.

Now that I have had the time to finish the Honor Harington series I can say that if you liked Honor you will like Serrano. Elizabeth Moon wrote The Serrano Legacy a few years before she wrote Vatta’s War. Unlike Weber, Moon uses old family lines as the basis for her goverments.

The First 3 books are about Heris Serrano who is framed and losses her commission and starts piloting a space yacht with her former Crew.
Hunting Party (July 1993)
Sporting Chance (September 1994)
Winning Colors (August 1995)

The next three books are about Esmay Suiza who doesn’t have the family backing in the goverment that Serrano has.
Once a Hero (March 1997)
Rules of Engagement (December 1998)
Change of Command (December 1999)

Then the last book merges the 2 trilogies
Against the Odds (December 2000)

Then 3 years later she wrote Vatta’s War.

Thanks for the follow up.

I will be seeing whether these are also available on Audible. Loving Vatta’s War book 3 right now. Ky is a great protagonist.

I just finished this series last week. It was quite enjoyable. I can see the comparisons to Honor Harrington. It’s worth a read I think.

I don’t know if they are available on audible but Graphic Audio are the ones who put them on CD. I have all of them on mp3 should any one want copies. Graphic Audio is a great company. They use sound effects to give you the illusion that you are watching a movie.

Edit: I checked Audible and they are not there. So if any one wants copies just let me know. The website for graphic audio is
http://www.graphicaudio.net
They also have Vetta’s war as well. Their catch phrase is “A movie in your mind”

I have uploaded the first book online if any one wants it. I’ve posted the link and if anyone wants me to I can upload the rest of the series. I have the entire series on my hard drive so it’s a simple thing to upload them.

edit - 7/25/11
It’s been a few weeks so I’m removing the link. Feel free to contact me if you want copies.

I dunno the details of that service, but remember that these forums are public. I wouldn’t want you to run into bandwidth or legal trouble.

You make a good point. I burned these staight from the disc so I don’t think I’d get in trouble for sharing them but just incase I’ll take them down after a few weeks. After that if any one wants a copy I can just email them.

I’ve been meaning to post my review after the listen. Overall, I’m glad I listened. But, I was expecting more space background. The comparison with Honorverse through me because that series usually split space and ground scenery about equally. However, this book was mostly on the ground.

The author must love horses, but half of the scenes taking about horse didn’t keep my interest. It got to a point where I wanted to fast forward past them.

Still, I’m glad I listened. But if the other books are like this one, I’d have to give them a pass.

Interesting… none of the other books by Elizabeth Moon that I’ve read have featured horses. And the Vatta’s War series, which I just finished, takes place at least 50% on space ships, and about 30% on space stations. Not that much on actual planets. I liked the Vatta’s War books a lot, but I would recommend reading (I listened to the audio versions).

For something more literary by this author, try Remnant Population. It’s excellent.

Oops. Wrong thread.

Edit:

This story was an interesting listen, but I’m not sure I want to try more for her.

Clearly, I have a lot of ground to cover… i started with Once a Hero, and felt there was some backstory I was missing, but didn’t know just how much… and I haven’t heard of Change of Command… until over a decade later…

Sometimes, having kids really puts a crimp on my reading habit… so does car repairs…

I started in book 4 and quickly went back to check out book 1. At the time I was still driving trucks so I had to order the other books online. Took me a month to get home to get them.