The Secret World

It’s looking like The Secret World will finally be entering beta around the 26th of August.

For those of you unfamiliar with it, The Secret World is an upcoming MMO being developed by Funcom, the makers of Age of Conan and Anarchy Online. It’s a fantasy based game set in our modern world where every urban myth, every conspiracy story, and every legend is true. You play as a member of one of three vying factions with their own agenda and philosophy bent on world domination, while at the same time saving it from the rash of creatures that plague the edges of normal society.

//youtu.be/XMnJD7Dt1GY

Interesting premise. What’s the platform(s)?

According to a FAQ in their forums, it’s being developed for the PC and the 360.

Screw funcom until the resolve the cliffhanger from dreamfall I can’t support tornquist.

I found an interesting video podcast showcasing some of the technology & content for this game.

//youtu.be/IxSgEs7hG8E

I just got a newsletter email with a few updates regarding The Secret World. They’re now offering pre-orders and mentioned a few other tidbits like beta weekends and a release date.

It looks like The Secret World has opened its web browser based game beta - The Secret War. And you’ll have to login through Facebook. I’m not sure I like that about it. /shrugs…

Wow!.. I think someone just made a game out of “Advertise the Hell out of Us!”

It looks like The Secret World™ makes its debut this Tuesday on July 3rd. Some of the beta test Livestream recordings (by The Cynical Brit) on YouTube looked somewhat interesting, if a little raw.

//youtu.be/7yMIcKmsbzk

Well the game is live now. I’m still learning the intricacies and whatnot in the newbie area of Kingsmouth on the Daemon server. The melee and ranged classes seem alright so far; the magic classes seem a bit weak (or less survivable) though. “Multiclassing” might make for some interesting combinations. Now if I could just hold back on my altoholism and get some more in depth knowledge on some of these classes… all a part of finding out what I like best I guess.

I’m in as well, Shalalm “tanstaafl” Baskur, Illuminati, on the Arcadia dimension.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I made a guy on the Arcadia dimension, before I found out a new peculiarity about server technology in this game. Let me preface this by saying I was somewhat miffed that I couldn’t get one of my longtime and unusual gaming names on the Arcadia server, after having already rolled a version of the character up on the Daemon server.

It turns out that in The Secret World, all the game servers are actually “home dimensions” on what is really a megaserver. Basically everyone is on the same server, playing in “home” instances. By grouping, you can change over to the group’s instance or dimension (or server so to speak). My Daemon characters can group with tanstaafl’s Arcadia characters at any time. And essentially, I stole my own longtime unusual gaming name from myself. lol… Names are unique across the entire megaserver.

Also of note, this game could be the cure for my altoholism. Any character can effectively learn every skill in the game and alternate any ability set & gear loadout to fulfill any role at anytime. Well, anytime outside of combat that is. So, I rolled up four characters who can all ultimately duplicate one another after they collect all the skills… one of my issues with the entire Elder Scrolls series. The only differences between characters, and they are only slight ones, is which faction you join and which gender specific clothing you can wear. Granted, it will take a while to acquire ALL the skills and abilities, so the low level game still provides the illusion of unique character “classes”.

I’m playing this as well. I honestly can’t remember my toon name, but I’ll check it out at home and report back, but I’m playing from Grim. I was playing The Old Republic before but I found myself bored after a while. Starting to wonder if I’m just not much of an MMO person, and the only reason I enjoyed WoW so much was due to the toned down, laid back nature of the game.

Are there trials for this game?

Yes - when purchased you get 30 days. ALSO - existing players can gift you with a 24-hour pass. That said, if you decide to take a pass I would recommend that you download, install, and patch the game before creating your account.

So, has anyone signed up for the Alternative Reality Game (ARG)? Getting creepy phone call in the middle of the night? I haven’t been playing TSW in a long while but when I got an email invitation for this I was curious about this new direction in gaming. I’m not sure if it will drag me away from SWTOR just yet though.

so every one knows this game is now Buy to Play. You can still get subs for additional micro-transaction credits and exp boosts and what have you.

So anyone have a trial they want to send over? This game seems pretty dope but not $30 to see dope

I can send you an email invite key. It’s only a 24 hour trial though.

That should be enough to tell. xgothicserpentx(at)gmail.com