The Problem With Quidditch

If there’s one thing that really gets me about HP, it’s the poor construction of Quidditch. What’s more, they didn’t take matters into their own hands and fix the game in the movies.

My first problem is logistical, as these teams don’t seem to have ready reserves. Sure, Cormac McLaggen came in and played Keeper when Ron couldn’t, but if a player gets injured during a game, Rowling never replaces them; they’re simply out, and the entire game becomes a “power play.” Harry is struck in the head with a bludger? Well, without a Seeker, Gryffindor loses unless they jump out to a 160-point lead and the opposing Seeker decides the game is lost.

That’s not the big one, though.

As a wizarding version of basketball-soccer it works just fine, but that darn Snitch just kills it. It’s unfortunate, really, because the Snitch itself is a terrific idea. A tiny ball that is difficult to see and catch as a game-ender is not only very original for sports (with most having pre-determined time periods or scoring totals that determine game length), but it also lets the old stories of weeks-long games cement the sport as truly wizard in nature. It’s a neat randomized element.

It also completely destroys any kind of competitive balance in the game. Unless there’s a rout in progress, or a team is generally about 150 points behind, there’s really no strategic play involved, unless you’re trying to put an end to a match that is spiralling out of control. If the Snitch is found relatively quickly (say, the first few hours), it’s likely an automatic WIN for the team that caught it.

In my opinion, the Golden Snitch should count for absolutely nothing except as a game-ender, which means that teams in the lead would want to capture it to win, and teams behind would want to try to make it more difficult for the opposing Seeker to catch the Snitch until their own team is back in the lead. In the case of a tie, the Seeker who catches the Snitch would claim victory for their team (though this rule may already be in place - I’ve never read Quidditch Throuhg the Ages).

How would you fix Quidditch, and do Rowling’s rules for it drive you batty as well?

I’m also watching Sorceror’s Stone for myr e-watch leading up to HBP, and it’s just killing me watching Slytherin literally wipe out two Gryffindor members with no recourse or substitutions.

Not that it matters, of course. Harry catches the Golden Snitch very quickly and wins anyways. Like winning a game of baseball without your center fielder and catcher.

The Snitch would be fine if it wasn’t worth frakkin 150 points. But if you go by World Cup Quidditch/Pro Quidditch it doesn’t seem like 150 points is that much. For the school games though it should probably be around 50 or so?

Another thing was in Chamber of Secrets with the rogue bludger. Wood (I think) says they would need to forfeit the game to have an investigation into the obviously tampered with ball. I know it was done for story purposes, but that just seems wrong.

Great analysis! But FWIW, I don’t think the snitch as quite the unbalancer you do. As it’s actually exceedingly difficult – as anyone who’s played the Quidditch video games can attest – to actually catch the snitch, it’s not uncommon for seekers to take long enough to do the deed that the score exceeds 150. So it’s also not uncommon for seekers to watch the game closely, deciding when to try and when to pass the (rare) opportunity to end the game by, leading to some awesome gameplay.

Harry is a startlingly good seeker, even by pro standards. Most seekers are unable to grab the snitch early enough to pull off a lopsided win – at least not regularly. Even Harry doesn’t pull it off regularly in the books.

Personally, I love the “permanent power play” concept. It actually encourages players to look out for their own well-being, forcing them to split their attention further.

Sure, Quidditch can’t be as well-thought-out as games we’ve played for twenty to a hundred (or more) years, it seems pretty balanced to me – with the option of some awesome legend-making exceptions. :slight_smile:

Update:

In our world, yes. But like in the Tri-Wizards tournament, all sports in the wizarding world tend to take on more of a “real” nature, with participants risking their own skin. I always figured part of this was to help them find their places in a world where they’ll likely be called upon to do so at one point or another, and part of it was because they have a much-enhanced ability to deal with even major non-magical injuries – kinda like how some of the sports in the 'Trek universe are rough as they have the tech to patch people up easier.

One of the things that intrigued me about the Potterverse was a friend’s fascination with Quidditch. Once I started reading them, I realized what a horrible game it was. Now, I understand gameplay better than the average bear (reading game rules was a favorite pastime as a kid) so I’m coming at this with a bit more background than most.

The snitch is an achingly bad idea. Something that is, by definition, hard to see, and almost always ends up winning the game once caught, doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Particularly in a spectator sport.

It’s almost like it was designed to let one lone wallflower win the big game :wink:

As Chuck said, drop the score run-up by a hundred points or so, and you might have something. Frankly, as per usual, the American version seemed more interesting…

I like the added element of surprise that comes with the snitch. Large differences in scoring are either important or not. It provides for a game of significant entertainment value as you’re not only watching chasers, and management of the bludgers, but the game almost ALWAYS could swing either way.

FWIW, the Snitch is a historical element of the game and did not exist originally. Some rich guy let go of a Snitch-like bird and offered 150 galleons for it to the one who caught it. The practice stuck. (via Quidditch Throughout the Ages)

One thing I’ve considered is that the snitch’s ability to escape and move is limited based on the game being played. IE: The snitch in a game at Hogwarts isn’t as fast/powerful/smart as the one used in the World Cup.

Cracked weighs in, as per their usual style.

ETA: and link to link I found out that the Intercollegiate Quidditch Assoc., which I’ve joked about for years, exists. They seem to have come to the same “snitch=5 goals” rule that others have.

The college Quiddich looks pretty rough. In the clip i saw the Keeper come out and it looked like he spear-tackled a Chaser (who may have been a girl).

It’s OK, it’s college. I’m pretty sure they’re both drunk…

I think it would be pretty fun to play. If you could do away with the stupid broom. But i guess that means you have to use only one hand for the most part.

I think trying to run with a broom between your legs is half the sport.

and be willing to look silly as well

That’s the other half…

A friend of mine played that in college but he called it broomball. The took it pretty seriously, but I’m sure they looked just as silly…

Of course they took it seriously. Have you ever talked to someone playing intramural Ultimate Frisbee? They find it roughly equivalent to being drafted by the NFL.

Quidditch is like hockey but way more dangerous, which is great (although maybe not for kids); if this was a real sport I’d watch the heck out of it. I cannot help but feel that the snitch bit was just so Harry would have an opportunity to excel (I think that cracked article makes a point about this), as heroes are wont to do, and nothing says awesome quite like pulling off a nearly impossible feat.

It also turns out that the Snitch might be more important. I was rereading the HBP and it was mentioned that Gryffindor needed to win the match by 300 points in order to win the Quidditch cup. So they not only need to have a commanding lead with the quaffle but the they also must grab the snitch. I would guess the Major league Quiddich works much the same way. Points count as well. So it might be better to hold off on grabbing the Snitch and try and prevent the other seeker from doing grabbing it.

There was a game depicted (can’t remember which one) in which the team that caught the snitch lost, b/c they were sorely behind on goals.

I think that was included because even JKR realized the problems with her rules at that point.

Krum did that at the World Cup.

Never a braniac, that one.