The Old Republic: Revan (new book out)

Hey Gang,

Was wondering if anyone has read this yet? For those who haven’t it’s about Revan and takes place after the events of Bioware’s Knights of the Old Republic, then about half way through jumps ahead to after the events of KOTOR 2 and the Exile joins the story as well

I just finished reading it tonight so I’ll post a quick non spoiler thoughts then a grayed out section of spoiler thoughts.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, it has driven me nuts wanting to know what actually happened to Revan after the events of KOTOR. (probably pretty obvious by my user name here AMIRIGHT? :smiley: ) And this book definitely quenched that thirst…somewhat. You’ll get to see some characters make appearances that were from KOTOR, Canderous, T3, Bastilla, and HK 47. The book itself is actually a pretty easy read, only around 300 pages and is written by Drew Karpyshyn who’s the lead writer on all the Bioware games and wrote some of the Mass Effect as well as some other Star Wars books.

Spoilers Ahead, if you have no intention of reading the book but would like to know what happens feel free to read but do so at your own risk.

[spoiler]

Got to say it was nice getting to know details about Revan from his flashbacks, where he’s haunted by knowing something is out there looming that is going to attack the Republic. He leaves Bastilla just after her telling him she’s pregnant, which I was glad to see (I’m told for the sake of being ‘official’ Revan is a man and had the love story with Bastilla, and the Exile is female who had no relationship) since I really liked that part of the original KOTOR story.

Meanwhile we also hear the story of an up and coming Sith Lord called Lord Scourge, who happens to be in the Sith Empire thought extinct, basically working for another Sith Lord trying to figure out who is trying to assassinate her, and while in the midst of this he learns that the Sith Lord he is working for and a few other Sith Lords that sit on the Sith Emperor’s “Dark Council” are trying to work to overthrow the Emperor. Why you might ask? Well because he’s now intent upon invading the Republic again and they think it will be to their doom.

So Revan goes off in search of his past and to figure out what looming threat he was onto before converting to the Dark side. He takes Canderous as well as T3…and eventually remembers that when defeating the Mandalorian leader that the Mandalore had been forced to attack the Republic in order to test the strength…the Sith Emperor himself dominated his mind. Revan remembers this as he finds the Mask of Mandalore for Canderous, who he essentially makes the new unified leader of the Mandalorians and tells him to make them strong again, because when the Sith attack they will have to come through Mandalorian space. After this Revan remembers a planet from his past and sets out there.

Meanwhile Lord Scourge and the Sith Lord he works for go to this same planet…only this planet is ‘dead,’ the Sith Lord had taken Scourge here to see why the Emperor must be opposed and to show how he had lived for 1000 years, he did a ceremony on his home world that sucked the life out of everything, people, plants, bugs, you name it. As Scourge takes off to leave the planet Revan jumps into orbit with T3 on the Eban Hawke and is immediately hit by an Ion shot from Scourge’s vessel. Revan ends up crashing on the planet and being knocked unconscious, this is how he gets captured. Eventually T3 would repair the ship and take it back to Republic space, where he would end up teaming up with the Exile, known as ‘Meera’ officially.

We then jump forward 3 years and the Exile joins the story (now having taken place after the events of KOTOR 2) and she’s set on finding/rescuing Revan. To quickly sum it up since I’m running out of time, she ends up having Scourge help her free Revan, basically because he sees that the Council members are more focused on their rivalries with each other and will never actually step forward to confront the Emperor before it’s too late. They lay out a plan to free Revan and do so, then the plan is to take down the Emperor. (who frankly from what you read about in here makes Darth Sidious look like a 1st grader compared to a full grown athletic adult in terms of strength)

Eventually Revan, Meera (The Exile), and Scourge get into the Emperor’s throne room to confront him. At first Revan is going one on one with the Emperor and manages to hold his ground for a bit, in the meantime Scourge and Meera are still finishing off the few Emperor’s Elite Guard that are in the sealed throne room with them. The Emperor unleashes a powerful attack Revan is not able to stop, and is being slowly being cooked alive by the Emperor’s force lightning, valiantly T3 comes at the Emperor with his flamethrower and sets the Emperor on fire, this breaks the Emperor’s concentration for a moment, but Revan is hurt bad and it’s all he can do to start healing himself…and that’s when poor little T3 is literally blown up by the Emperor :frowning: , the Emperor then walks and stands over Revan, picks up his lightsaber, and as he’s about to kill Revan with his own weapon Meera throws her lightsaber and knocks Revan’s out of the Emperor’s hand. Scourge thinks to himself as he too is now running to join the fight that if she had just thrown it at the Emperor Revan might have died but at least the Emperor would have been dead.

Revan is now able to stand up, and it looks like all three are about to take down the Emperor, when Scourge suddenly does what a pathetic Sith always will do…he gets behind Meera and puts his lightsaber right through her chest…this breaks Revan’s concentration and the Emperor hits him again…with Revan on the ground Scourge swears (lying) that it had all been a plan to bring them to him because he knew he wasn’t strong enough to take them himself, the Emperor asks Scourge to kill Revan, and while Scourge is about to the Emperor stops him saying it was just a test and that he has better uses for Revan.

I have to say this ending is my only gripe with the book, I was loving it until the end…The Emperor ends up granting Scourge Immortality with you reading inner thoughts from Scourge that this is good, that it will give him plenty of time to wait for a weakness in the Emperor to strike. And in the end Revan is pretty much placed in Stasis as the Emperor devours his essence while the Spirit of Meera is standing by Revan granting him strength to continue surviving.

I really did not feel this was a fitting end to my favorite Jedi, and even the Exile I liked as well did not deserve to just be offed after all she had done by being stabbed in the back by a Sith who was too much of a coward to follow through with their plan. And while they made Revan essentially say he was happy with just delaying the invasion so that Bastilla and his child could live peaceful lives I still think that’s crap.

I realize that I’m writing this literally right after finishing the book and still have the sour taste of that ending in my mouth…but still C’MON!!!

Very worthwhile reading if you’re a Star Wars fan and especially if you liked the KOTOR games but overall I still think I prefer the various stories I had had in my head of what Revan did after KOTOR.

edit: forgot to throw in the reason for Revan and Malak turning on the Republic, it turns out they had underestimated the Emperor the first time they encountered him, and unprepared the Emperor dominated their minds and sent them to test the Republic, but being so powerful they eventually broke free and thought it was their own free will, and when the Jedi council wiped Revan’s memories from him it cleaned off the remainder of the Emperor’s influence at the time. [/spoiler]

Can’t wait to read this one and the upcoming Darth Plagueis novel.

It looks interesting, not sure I’ll get a chance to read it any time soon. I guess this means we’ll never get a proper Knights of the Old Republic 3. The chances were always pretty slim anyway, but one can hope.

After running into some Revanites in SWTOR and their quests, I’ll admit this piques my interest. Right now though, I’m still going through Star Wars: Deceived, the second in the trilogy leading up to the game.

yeah I threw out any hope of there being a proper KOTOR 3 when I saw they were making the KOTOR MMO

Alright, I just finished Deceived. Next up is Revan, the third book. I’m failing to see much of any connection between them but, they’re not bad reads nonetheless.

I was not a big fan of Fatal Alliance.

Working on Deceived right now. Just okay so far…

I’ve gotten maybe halfway through, maybe more; I haven’t skimmed ahead to see if this book has sneak peaks like the previous two that make up a significant portion of the page count. Anyway, this book is much better than the other two. I find myself catching on minor cliff hangers and wanting to see how the next part of the plot unfolds. I don’t think the other two had me speculating or wondering what might lay ahead like this one does.

Okay, I was closer to the end than I thought. I think a full third of that book was the same EU intro & excerpts I read in the other two books. Revan’s story didn’t end the way I thought it would. I don’t want to give anything away but, there’s definitely potential for continuing the story… say in SWTOR.

[spoiler] I guess, either way I still felt really disappointed with the ending, but I’m sure in an expansion or perhaps even its in right away, there would be an end game raid to go and free Revan and then confront the Sith Emperor as the hardest fight in the game[/spoiler]

for those wondering, I guess Revan IS in TOR… spoilers in video clicky

edit: spoilers for the ending of this book and I guess later Empire part of TOR