The Next Companion: Betting Pool

I don’t particularly consider this a “spoiler” by definition, but for those who have not completed Season 6, and may not have heard the announcement regarding Amy and Rory from Moffat in late December…LEAVE THE THREAD NOW.

All set? Very well. Allons-y!

I’ve been wondering, discussing, and nearly arguing with many over the creative team’s options for the next companion. We’ve had a relatively short list in the recent “revival” seasons, and with the refreshing exception of Donna Noble, a tendency to rely more than a bit on a thinly veiled romantic attraction with the Doctor that could be argued helps or hinders the dynamic. (Add a third wheel, as in Mickey or Rory, and the argument for or against runs deeper.)

So where do Moffat and company proceed? Another attractive female? A male companion, perhaps? Another pair? Straight? Gay? Heck, HUMAN? (It has been some time since we’ve had a non-Earthling companion, after all…alas, K-9…)

If you’re interested in seeing where the show has experimented in the past, it’s always useful to have the Doctor Who Timeline Infographic readily at hand!

Let’s get the discussion going, and once it gains traction, we can plot out a grid pool to let those who are interested lay claim to a betting square – and see what Season 7 brings us. We can delve into character types, personalities, idiosyncrasies, elements that will play to and against the 11th Doctor’s “quirks”, or just general characteristics that will (in your estimation) help create the most interesting and rewarding future seasons with our revered Time Lord.

Geronimo!

Leaving the thread, but I wanna put my quarter down to Madame de Pompadour aka Sophia Myles. :slight_smile:

Bring back Frobisher! ALL HAIL THE BIG GIANT BIRD!

Did you see this mornings “news”-Emma Watson won a poll to see what actor was most wanted amoung fans for the part.

So anyway-My opinions (knowing Moffat likes to refer to classic Who patterns) it will be either

A) A person from Earth’s past. Human but not from the 20th century. Maybe a Victorian or (given the US popularity) American Civil War/Wild West type.
B) A human from the future. Someone from a future colony of humanity that joins up.
C) An alien that looks very human or is a shapeshifter. A really “Alien” Alien wouldn’t be able to fit in well with all those budget-adventures in modern London :slight_smile:

Having been a huge fan of Rose, I don’t think anyone can take her place as the “romantic interest”. That storyline was good, but I think they definitely should go in a different direction. The third wheels (Mickey and Rory) kept it interesting, but I think it has been done enough for now.

Since the Doctor seems to have such an affinity for Earth, it makes sense his companion would be from there. I do like the idea of someone from the past- would be interesting to see their reactions to present day as well as future locations.

I would like to see an older companion. Someone with a lot of life experience, who can give the Doctor a run for his money. Male or female does not matter to me- I think if they can get away from the lovesick companion storyline for now, it would be good. But an older person, maybe someone who is lonely and jaded- would be a new twist- especially if the Doctor could take them far distant into the future, and show them humanity at a better time.

I’m not sure I can speak towho/what I think it’s going to be. I can say this, I think at this point the romantic angle is played out. I for one would like to see a different dynamic. The Doctor holds so many cards I think the romantic thing creates an imbalance of power in the relationship.

That said, I’d love to see a non-human or male companion. I suspect a male companion won’t happen because they want to appeal to female audience & prevailing thinking is a female character.

I predict they’ll go with a female companion again. I agree with Aset, they’ll want to keep that female audience demographic strong.
Contrasting with an older woman would be nice. Someone wheelchair bound (at first at least) would be an interesting twist.

And I always had the impression the Female companion was for the Male demographic.

Someone wheelchair bound like Dr. Xavier would be interesting though getaways might prove to be difficult.

I always thought of the companion as being a sort of ambassador for the audience. They’re the reason the Doctor explains things in terms a 20th/21st century person would understand, and they react to insane situations the way we imagine WE would so it’s as if we’re participants in the story.

It’ll be tricky to move past that model.

I miss the days when the doctor had 3 companions on the TARDIS for multiple episodes. Why do we have to choose? Why not 3 companions, a male, a female, and an alien?

Or a robotic dog?

The companion is absolutely an ambassador for the audience. That they’ve been all female is definitely to appeal to the female audience. The fact that they’re beautiful is for the male audience. As a general rule most television & movies don’t like to go with an all male cast if they’re trying to rech a broad audience. Too much testoerone turns off a significant portion of the female demographic you are trying to get.

Edit

Whether any of that is really true is definitely up for debate. But generally that’s how they work.

All the more reason to shake it up now, while the show is at an all-time high, and create a paradigm shift. (My two pence, anyway.)

If the rumors of Hugh Laurie being the next Doctor are true, the sky’s the limit on the new companion.

Whyile that would be hugely awesome. I’m betting those are just speculation rumors since House is ending.

I’m just trying to get that rumor started, I’ve been using it in conversation all over the place so that I can, like a poorly thought out George Lucas idea, cause the television midichlorians to spontaneously create a Hugh Laurie Doctor Who.

I agree & it would seem that the BBC is much more willing to experiment than US bradcast television is. I’m just not sure they’re that brave.

I put this in the same “wish in one hand” bucket as the Helen Mirren rumor, the Emma Watson companion rumor, etc., etc.

I see Smith in it at least INTO Season 8, but that’s a gut feel. Like tepid haggis. Sorry, that was offal.

We’ll definitely split off a 12th Doctor thread when Moffat & Co. make an announcement that the time (chortle) is nigh. For now, let’s make like a microscope, and focus. Companions!

Hugh Laurie as the Doctor. Give me a minute to process that awesomeness, even as a complete rumor.

I am starting to appreciate that the companion is an extremely complicated choice representing a mix of what the Doctor needs and what as a narrative will resonate with the audience. Rose had to heal the Doctor after the time wars and mature as a person. Martha was all about unrequited love and Donna was about being absolutely normal and achieving extraordinary things while reminding the Doctor about being compassionate. Amelia…the girl who waited, tricky one. Perhaps about the power of faith and determination?

This all being said (and off the top of my head, I’ll continue to think about their roles) I think it is more interesting to talk about what the next companion’s role with be in terms of contribution to the narrative as well as how they help the Doctor in some way. With those things established we can select an actor or type based on their role.

Here is my swing: Companion’s Doctor role: Teaching the Doctor about family. Companion’s inner role: finding one’s self. My selection: The Doctor’s Daughter

i agree…

i would be OK with Sally Sparrow as well…

YES. I always felt that there was more than enough allusion to Sally being a recurrent (in SOME capacity) character later on. She had the brass for it.

Let’s think outside the box (pun completely intended) for a moment – how far could they push the companion “switch up”, without losing the average audience support? In recent climate, do they HAVE to establish a “pair” to appeal to both male/female viewers? Do they HAVE to have “aesthetically pleasing” companions, for sex appeal? Do they HAVE to have a female companion at a minimum, to keep harping on the attraction-tension, if we know we have River Song to be that occasional romantic counterpoint?

Discuss! Discuss! (Confess! Confess!)

So now that the new companion has been cast, what does everyone think? She’s young and attractive, so should we assume they are going the romantic route again? Or maybe they will take the story in a completely different direction. Will be very interesting to watch…