The Last Starfighter Re-Watch

Sean, Audra, and I have decided to give 'Starfighter another watch based on all the fun talk recently about it. Sean’s given it glowing reviews, and I still have fond memories of the last time I caught it on cable.

Anyway, if you’d like to join in you’re welcome. The movie’s widely available via Amazon and other online retailers, and you can probably score a DVD copy at your local used movie retailer, too.

Update: If you came here directly from the GWC Blog, don’t miss our DTA podcast on The Last Starfighter:

http://www.galacticawatercooler.com/2007/10/15/gwc-direct-to-archive-1/

Sorry. Couldn’t help myself. Was itching for a reason to rewatch. Once again…thank goodness for one hour train commute!

Woot! Sean just walked in with his copy, newly arrived from Amazon. (Technically, he walked in, waved it in my face, and said, “Look! It’s the movie that probably isn’t out on DVD!

Yes, I was happily wrong. It’s easy to score. And we’ll get to re-watch this week.

While waiting for Sean to bring over his copy next week – I’m gonna try to score one this weekend, though! – I did a little bit of pre-rewatch IMDB recon and discovered a few interesting tidbits:

1. Wil Wheaton is in TLS.

According to IMDB, Wil originally had a speaking part, but it ended up on the cutting room floor. Apparently he does still appear in some of the trailer park scenes, so I’m going to keep an eye out for him. (IMDB says he’s wearing a football jersey.)

I’m a huge Wil Wheaton fan. For any of you who haven’t kept up with the post-Wesley Wil, I’ll say something a friend once said to me when he discovered that I hadn’t read A Stranger In A Strange Land: I envy you. Why? Because there’s a special feeling when you discover something really, really cool, and though you’ll enjoy it from then on, there’s only one first time experience.

I came to his blog first via a link from Margaret Cho’s oft-entertaining blog, and immediately started plowing through his archives. His blog was originally at wilwheaton.net – known to readers as WWdN – but after some technical difficulties a while back he moved to a hosted Typepad setup, which he dubbed Wil Wheaton Dot Net: In Exile. It seems the freedom from maintaining the site technically opened his creativity floodgates even more, and the content on the new site remains a great read.

Another recommendation for WWdN: IX, on a personal level: When I first found Wil’s site, I was working very hard at a job that I really didn’t enjoy much. It provided well for me and my family, but I received little satisfaction from it – mainly because I (erroneously) assumed that I had to push down my creative urges in order to “work.” As you’ll notice when you read WWdN, Wil talks quite a bit about his own struggle with harnessing, releasing, and living off of his own creativity, and his writing really inspired me.

I credit Wil and his blogging for inspiring me to tap my own creative side both for fun and for profit. I started a blog (unrelated to GWC) and began writing, which led me to opportunities to write for major magazines. Now I make a good portion of my living as a freelance writer, and I’m happier than I have been ever before.

In a way, Wil is also responsible for GWC. I’ve always loved the concept of the collaborative creative. The best creative projects require the love and dedication of many people, and almost nothing is more fun to me that participating in that process. For years I got that experience from playing in bands, but that’s a tough life, and I (incorrectly) assumed that I didn’t have a place for that kind of thing in my life anymore. Reading WWdN opened my mind again, and participating in GWC was one of the results.

Anyway, if you haven’t already, jump over to http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/ right now and be prepared to spend a bit of time there. I recommend the RSS feed so you miss nothing.

(Note: I’ve always thought it would be a lot of fun to have Wil on as a GWC podcast guest. I think many GWCers who haven’t been exposed to him outside of Trek would really get a lot out of it. We’ve contacted him, but I’d guess he gets hundreds of such requests and can’t fulfill them all. Thankfully he’s made a few awesome podcasts of his own, which you can check out on his site.)

1. There’s a TLS videogame for the Atari 5200.

The Atari 5200 was, for me as a kit, the ultimate gaming system. I drooled over it in the stores, and wanted one so bad I could even envision where I’d put it in my room. But alas, it was never to be.

Obviously, at the time of TLS’ release it was totally impossible to create a game with any kind of 3D effects, so IMDB trivia says Atari instead created a sort of Star-Trek-Text-game-like title which never saw the light of day. IMDB mentions that a 2600 game called Solaris was the public result of the development, so maybe I’ll see if I can get my hands on it.

1. The movie’s (for the time, incredible) effects were created on a Cray X-MP.

Why does this matter to me? I heard about a company out in San Francisco last year that was selling X-MPs as scrap. A post made its way around the blogosphere about a guy who bought one and turned it into a chair for his daughter’s room. That strikes me as just about the coolest thing ever, and if I could figure out how to get out there, get one, and haul it back to Texas, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Sorry for the rambling, but it’s Saturday after all. I hope to see you back here during the week for the rewatch.

Chuck,

In case you never caught them, my favorite newpaper, “The Onion” had Wil write a column on classic video games called, “Games of our Lives.” It was well written and very funny:

http://www.avclub.com/content/gool

Thanks for rambling, Chuck.

I’m old enough to have perused the usenet group alt.wesley.crusher.die.die.die, but I’m now a big WW fan too. I’m sure you know this, but he does some great reviews of TNG too.

Welcome to the new GWC direct-to-archive podcast! This 'cast operates in conjunction with the Galactica Watercooler 'cast, offering us an opportunity to dish at length about science fiction, fantasy, comic, and videogame subject matter. In this first 'cast, we discuss the GWC rewatch of The Last Starfighter – a flick that has a special place in our hearts, even though Centauri never showed up to take us away from our trailer park. One can only wish.

http://www.galacticawatercooler.com/2007/10/15/gwc-direct-to-archive-1/

Pike/Solai: Yep, I totally follow Wil’s writing exploits, wherever he lands. I don’t have a copy of his new book yet, but I’m totally going to pick it up later this month when I’ve got some cash again.

And BTW, I did see him in the movie. He’s in the first trailer park scene, running around with smaller kids wearing (as we were told) a red football jersey.

All/FYI: We added a Direct-To-Archive podcast specifically about our Last Starfighter rewatch. We actually recorded it right after watching the movie together. If you get a chance, check it out.

One thing’s certain, though: this movie completely stands the test of time, and I enjoyed it even more this time around.

Have any of you had a chance to check out the DVD extras yet?

I am just dumbfounded that this movie has stood the test of time. I remember enjoying it as a kid, but I’ve always assumed that it was only b/c I was a kid when I saw it. You all have moved this about a hundred places up in my Amazon que.

I just wanted to say thank you to Audra and Chuck for doing the first direct to archive podcast on The Last Starfighter with me. I’m a bit of a fanboy when it comes to this movie so I enjoyed the living frak out of doing this one. I hope anyone who checks it out enjoys it as well :slight_smile:

I had a blast doing this! And The Last Starfighter makes me so nostalgic for those optimistic, genuine 80’s movies that were for kids and adults alike. :slight_smile:

Dear GWC peoples,

I love the idea of the “GWC DIRECT TO ARCHIVE” podcasts. But I hate the name. I think it’s great to have a kind of parallel forum / podcast mode dealing with the broader science fiction world (or worlds), but that name just doesn’t seem to fit. If I didn’t know better I’d imagine they were “lower quality” podcasts thrown into archive rather than full bore ridgey didge additions. Newcomers to GWC who don’t know the background might just ignore them. So in the spirit of constructive criticisn, here’s my nomination for an alternative name… “GWC MULTIVERSE”. I’m sure other GWC-ites will have other suggestions.

regards from ALTAIR IV

Hmmm…I am wondering where I should post my comments about the 'cast…here or over in the Last Starfighter thread in “Other Science Fiction”. Probably makes sense to centralize the discussion over there so we don’t repeat ourselves. Or that thread should be moved here?

Anyway. I loved the podcast. Brilliant and insightful as always.

This happens with new things.

Perhaps that may be for the best? GWC DTA is not in a structure similar to the flagship podcast. I would imagine newcomers would likely want to listen to a few episodes of the flagship podcast first before moving on to this first harmonic.

Strangely enough, I do think the current name works. I would say reassessment in a couple weeks might be worthwhile, though. This is almost too new.

Frakkin’ awesome. Only thing better than the weekly podcacsts for BSG, is this stuff. Thanks very much for putting this together for eveyrone!

BTW - Maggie - freakin hooooottttt!!! Loved me some Catherine mary Stewart

NIGHT OF THE COMET was another one of my favorites of hers.

David,

Be sure not to use the past tense…I noted the other day when doing some quick research that Maggie is STILL HOT.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0829252/

<drool>

Wow, she is beautiful!

It must be clean living, cause that young lass is about to turn 50!

Sean’s art school story reminds me of one of the first classes I took in film school. Our professor handed us all small pads of paper and told us our next assignment was to draw a flipbook, which we would then later film frame by frame. Everyone in the class was freaking out because they had to fill up 200 little pages with scribbles, and all I could think was that I used to do this in high school instead of paying attention and now I get to do it for a grade!

I agree - past tense does NOT apply here. Still has the hotness going on for nearing 50.