The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

I don’t know if anyone would be interested in using this book as a book club selection since it is nonfiction. I borrowed a copy of this book from a friend and couldn’t put it down. It is the story of Henrietta Lacks, a poor black woman who dies of cervical cancer in 1951 but pieces of her tumor that were taken without her consent or knowledge become the cornerstone of creating vaccines, gene mapping, fetility, cloning, cancer research, and hundreds of other scientific endeavors. It’s about ethical dilemmas, medical arrogance, racism, and how one person’s life can affect the world. But it is so much more than that too and I really hope that others here find it as engrossing and fascinating as I did.

I’m familiar with the story based on NPR stories about her. It’s very interesting (and somewhat disturbing)stuff.

Nothing wrong with nonfiction selections.

Lacks’ story is interesting in that it seems to pop up once a decade. This latest book adds some interesting dynamics with the surviving family, though.

I heard about this book after listening to Nature Pod-cast I think it sounds like a fascinating read I will have to get round to it.

I listened to the audiobook a while back after hearing about it on the Books On The Nightstand podcast. Outstanding book I’d recommend to anyone. Lots of food for thought in that story, and the narration was excellent.

I read this for work (my Nursing Supervisor is very forward thinking, and has a book group set up) and was completely engrossed. It’s a fascinating story. Somewhat disturbing as mentioned earlier.

I bought this for my kindle months ago, and would completely welcome an excuse to finally read it. I also heard the amazing NPR interview, and it was one of the 1st things I bought…and then never read. Sigh.

I read this book about a year ago and am still recommending it to people to read. I think that it is an amazing story about the person and the cells that have lead to so many advances in medicine. It also shows the flip side of that discovery and the ethics of medicine at that time. It truly is a story that sticks with you.