the host

its by Stephenie Meyer has anyone read it yet?

good? bad?

I read it about a year ago. It has an interesting premise, but it falls short in execution in my opinion. I couldn’t help thinking of the protagonist as ‘Bella Swan in Invasion of the Body Snatchers’. Other than that, it is a decent read.

Iiiiinteresting… I really hated Bella Swan but I really liked the protagonist of The Host. She not only fought hard to be who she was–she learned to compromise. She kept an open mind and an open heart throughout a horrific journey that could have hardened anyone–particular when her singularity of body, mind and spirit is at risk. The story concept is very “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” but it’s still a well considered and well told story.

All in all, I liked The Host on its own merits and I loved it in comparison to the Twilight series.

I agree completely. I really don’t like Bella but I love this protagonist. I also find the love interest much more realistic and interesting than edward is. the story isn’t the most original but i think it has enough in it to make it different. Overall it’s a very interesting story.

I keep meaning to borrow it off my sister and give it a go, but my reading pile is inordinately long at the moment. Found the Twilight books, or at least the 2 and a half I read undeserving of the hate they recieve (if a little poorly written in places and containing some mildly troubling subtext) so I might as well try and plough through this before the holidays end.