The Doctors Revisited: The Ninth Doctor

Episode Summary from tennantnews.blogspot.com:

BBC AMERICA celebrates the Ninth Doctor, Christopher Eccleston, in a new special of Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited. Eccleston heralded the return of the show and was the first Doctor to appear in the 21st Century. The special begins with lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat, writer Neil Gaiman, John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness) who played the Ninth Doctor’s companion, and actor Noel Clarke (Mickey Smith), among others, discussing Eccleston portraying a no nonsense, hard hitting and straight talking Doctor. The special is followed by the Ninth Doctor two-part story Bad Wolf and The Parting of Ways, in which the Doctor and his companions Rose (Billie Piper) and Captain Jack find themselves trapped in the Gamestation, also known as Satellite 5, where they must battle to survive the cruel games. However, when Rose is taken away, the Doctor realizes his deadliest enemies have returned en masse.

Please use this thread to discuss the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary look at the Ninth Doctor.

Oh, I’m really revving up for the 50th anniversary episode on November 23rd now! There are definitely hints in this special about Eccleston’s origins and the Time War (I’ve give a lot for the copy of The History Of The Time War that Clara found in the depths of the TARDIS in series 7). They really play up that the Ninth Doctor is a damaged man from the Time War and his interaction with the Daleks.

Notably absent in this special was Christopher Eccleston himself. I sure hope at some time he embraces his fan base. He is a pivotal Doctor, after all, both with reviving the series and with The Doctor coming out of The Time War.

I love these looks back at the Doctors past and my hat is off every single time to the BBC for putting them together for us.

I’ll never tire of saying it: Eccleston is my Doctor. They did a really good job on summarizing his contribution. As a NewWhovian I didn’t appreciate what a brilliant stroke it was (or how significant it was) that he was the only Time Lord and how that impacted him, I kind of assumed that was the way it always was.

I can’t believe after all this time he still holds his distance. I do know he met with Stemo and I do secretly hope that he makes an appearance on the 50th and that ill will is gone and he is simply keeping up appearances so we can all have a WTF! moment as he leaps on screen and says, “I’m feeling Fan-TAS-tic!”

Watching this episode, I forgot how much I loved the 9th Doctor. Yes, I got caught up in the drama and romance of 10 and Rose, but I still have a special place in my heart for 9. That first season was what got me hooked on Who. I remember vividly watching the very first episode, and thinking “Wow, what a great show this could turn out to be”. I had no knowledge of classic Who, other than a few late night episodes I might have seen on PBS as a kid. “The Doctor Dances” is one of my favorite all time episodes. I would love to see Eccleston turn up in the 50th Anniversary special. BUt it does not seem like that is going to happen.