The Cult Classic Arc

Technically speaking the definition of Cult Classic is a movie with a smaller but extremely vocal fanbase. I really am enjoying seeing so many different ideas being thrown around. I still say that Lynch deserves his own arc because you can really appreciate his work when seen together. But I can see his work also complementing John Waters and Cronenberg (also, I’m DYING to talk about Videodrome). So how about we set up a poll with ten classics and let our small yet extremely vocal group decide.

Is that possible?

I’ve seen everyone of these listed here and I think the ones the crue would love most from a purely sci-fi/fantasy standpoint would be Pi and City Of Lost Children. love that you mention Aranofsky. Personally I consider him our generation’s Stanley Kubrick. Love to see what his Wolverine movie is going to be like.

+1, and while they are at it could we do a poll on the Dystopian Arc I floated a few weeks ago?

I set up a poll. Please take time and vote!!!

So far half of the list is tied at the top. Let’s try to break that tie and weedle it down to three or four selections!

I’ve seen a few episodes. Can’t wait for Tim Burton’s movie with Johnny Depp.

I edited your post due to the original being a spammer, so I removed the spam link from your quote. :wink:

I love that the top three so far have some of my favorite quotes.

“Most men spend their lives avoiding intense situations. Repo men spend their lives getting INTO intense situations!”

“Have you ever been to Shell Beach?”

“Death to Viderodrome, long live the new flesh!”

Loved Repo Man (the old one about car repossession, not the new one about organ (?) repossession.).
Loved Buckeroo Banzai

And speaking of David Lynch : Eraserhead. I defy anyone to name me a weirder movie.

You will get no arguement from me. That movie was WEIRD!!!

I bet Sean has some interesting things to say about Donnie Darko and that’s def a cult classic

Thanks. Man, I didn’t think there would be spammers on here. Crazy.

If there is more love out there for Donnie Darko, please feel free to post it as a write-in along with any other films excluded. Let’s hear from you Darkos!!!

Thanks again to all of you voting. I am truly humbled by this community’s knowledge and excitement. I am deeply proud to be apart of the GWC community. Even if the crue opt to not pick up this arc, I would love to talk about any of these movies and others mentioned.

Every forum or blog gets them…we just try to catch them and remove them as quickly as possible…you guys don’t see them often here. :slight_smile:

I dug ‘Donnie Darko’ for the same reason I dug ‘Primer’. While the credits ran I scratched my head wondering what the frak I just experienced. I wanted to delve in and figure it out.

I have tried three times to get into this movie and while I understand the principal of time travel it provides, I still don’t understand what this has to do with Donnie or why Donnie is a viable character. This was agitated by a rabid fan base that really couldn’t explain it either. Donnie as a Christ figure? Really? BTW this is also the same issue I had with 2001: A Space Odysey.

I would love to know what makes this movie so special to it’s fans, including Sean if he has a moment. I am always up for a good conversation.

I liked Donnie Darko for many reasons. It’s got some great dialogue, it’s fairly creepy, and it breaks down The Smurfs for those of us who have it wrong or, to paraphrase, “misremembered” the actual story.

It’s got a neat story, but it is admittedly a bit of a stretch plotwise, especially when taken into context with Richard Kelly’s other films. That being said, there are theories out there that I believe are rock-solid.

That being said, it’s a movie that I believe was well-directed that does have some interesting elements about the nature of reality, time, and destiny, and it holds a special place in my heart when I loved movies like this, American Beauty, and Magnolia so much.

I guess what my hangup with this movie boils down to is that I don’t understand Donnie. Stephen King speaks to my sensabilities by stating that if the characters don’t mesh to the story, you are not going to be invested. Donnie seems to be a straw man to fate and the movie’s whims. He follows Frank without any real reason and seems to be constrained the movie’s narrow world. For a rebel he never is proactive. For a slacker, he seems to be rather in-tuned. When told of his doom, he is rather mellow without being affected.

I love the one liners, the little detours and Jena Malone is one of my first crushes, but who is Donnie?

The Buddha?

I could be wrong, but I don’t think time-traveling bunnies have ever encouraged The Buddha to burn a pedophile’s house down before. But then I guess there’s a first for everything.