The Captains film

I don’t know if there’s already a thread for this or not- I grew weary from looking.

I finally watched The Captains on Netflix. I was really struck by how much these actors gave up in terms of family life to be on series TV (except Chris Pine). That really touched me and made me think about how our fan love is in total proportion with their contribution.

I did get a kick out of how Shatner makes everything about himself- God Bless him. Anyway I’m glad I saw it and I would have missed it if I didn’t hear Chuck and Audra discussing it.

I really enjoyed it too. Though when Shatner was a sexist jerk to Kate Mulgrew I wanted to throw something at his head. Especially since a theme for ALL of the actors (sans Pine as Dawn mentioned) was the difficulty of balancing family life with their TV work, but he only came off as a sexist jerk to Mulgrew. Boo.

I enjoyed this as well. I really liked what Kate Mulgrew said about not being able to “have it all”. As a working Mom, I can totally relate to that. You can’t be superwoman in your career AND at home at the same time. Like she said, something always has to give. I found her comments very insightful. I didn’t really get a sexist vibe from Shatner when he was talking with her though. I think maybe he challenged her a little more, as he had a hard time understanding where she was coming from. But he seemed to have tough questions for all of them with regard to balancing work and personal commitments.

Whereas I got the sexist vibe from him in the way he phrased the questions to her - as if she should have been with the kids, as if her gender made it so that she had more of a responsibility to them than the male actors who played Star Trek captains. I did appreciate that the family theme came up with basically all of them, though.

I felt the last half of the movie was the superior one. Yep, Shat has for certain been drinking his own Kool-aid for years now, and it’s just something you have to love (or at least accept) about him. That being said, the man can put on a pretty interesting interview given the right circumstances. Scott Bakula was fantastic, as was Sir Patrick Stewart. And Kate Mulgrew was amazing, she gave just as well (or better) as she got. It was very telling overall what a toll the business seems to have taken on all of their family lives though, and it was obvious that this aspect was deeply regretted by all of them. But the show was a couple of hours very well spent, especially for a Trek fan. My only regret was not seeing Chris Pine tear Shat’s arm off during their arm wrestling “competition”. That would’ve been amusing, as well as a little more realistic.

I watched the film right after hearing the crue talk about in on the podcast. And for the most part I loved it. I was a little disappointed at first that the interviews were broken up, but soon got used to the odd format and realized that it was perhaps to prevent people from fast forwarding through a interview they did not want to watch. And it worked, I did not fast forward through the Chris Pine interview segments…

Some of my favorite moments were when Shat surprised fans at the convention, I loved watching work the crowds. And when he took time out of his schedule to do some one-on-one with that handicapped child, I found that quite touching. I enjoyed hearing all the behind the scene aspects of the show and about the sacrifices they made, and their fears, losses and victories. How it effected their lives, and what aspects of themselves they brought to their character.

The greatest disappointment for me was Avery Brooks. I really respected that mans work, and was looking forward to the interview with him. But when the Shat showed up to find a man stoned out of his frakking mind it broke my heart. But the Shat made the best of it… I would have been pissed, to fly all the way out there to meet the man and find him in that condition is inexcusable. I felt very uncomfortable watching them attempt to communicate, it was like watching Marlo Brando mumbling madly and incoherently to Martian Sheen in Apocalypse Now.

The music was exceptional and did not interfer with the discussions, it enhanced them.

I feel it is something every Trek fan should watch. It will help you bond with and understand the actors and actresses that brought your favorite Captains to life on the big, and little screen.

Isn’t it “O Captain, my Captain”? Walt Whitman…poem about the assassination of Lincoln? Can’t remember the title of the poem.

Loved the Shat working the crowd. Teared up in the scene with the disabled young man. All the interviews were good except for Brooks, what a stoned whack-job he is. Well worth the 2 hours to view it.

Two thots flashed through my mind as I watched the Avery Brooks portion.

1.Brooks is having some fun at Shat’s expense.
2.Brooks didn’t want to have a typical interview and the ever adventurous Shat was all for it.

The reason I lean toward number 2 is because if Shat felt the Brooks stuff was unusable, why keep it in? This is how and what Avery wished to share. Also, Shatner has done a film in Esperanto, weird n’ wild renditions of classic songs, as well as a plethora of artistic venues. IMO, I think this was an artistic decision.

​GO ON !!!

Brooks is a weird guy, but I the “Go On” part was clearly him trying to get Shatner to make his own “song” so to speak. He had an odd way of speaking, but I understood what he was talking about. It is a combination of both that he was trying to be artistic about what he was talking about, and that he is a very artistic (odd) guy.

Either referencing the poem or the cheesey yet hilarious Garrison Keillor rendition thereof.

I was sort of quoting Dead Poets Society, but yes the line which Robin Williams uses (and it takes on an even stronger meaning later in the film) is from Walt Whitman. Well done! :slight_smile:

And as to Talo’s theory… I had considered the fact that perhaps Avery was messing with the Shat, trying to throw him off his game and have some fun at his expense. But between Avery’s wasted away physical apperance and the fact that he seemed mentally almost unaware of what was going on makes me think there is something much deeper and darker going on. If he had been messing with the Shat I should have caught a mischevious glimmer in his eye, and have seen the gears turning in his head (so to speak) as he planned his next move. But there was very little going on upstairs, and he seemed to be constantly stalling for time so he could try to process what had just been asked of him.

I am beginning to fear that Avery may be in dire physical straits and his family is attempting to keep it under wraps. And that what we saw was a result of his medications. And I now feel bad about my previous comments regarding Avery and hope that he is getting good treatment and will make a full recovery. I hope he is not in the same boat as Montel. I would not wish that on anyone… Sorry Avery.

I guess I’m pretty dense, I didn’t get stoned from Avery Brooks, but I haven’t watched DS9. My takeaway from their time was an exploration of craft in all its forms and I enjoyed it, even in the odd moments. Creative people do weird shit sometimes.

On Shat being sexist- he did seem more confrontational on the family/life balance with Kate, but I’m not sure I feel comfortable labeling his inability to relate to her POV as sexist. I still can’t get HubAZ to understand how our roles are different, and believe me I’ve tried!

I couldn’t find it browsing Netflix on my Blu Ray player last night :frowning:

Yeah, I thought Brooks figured that if he was going to be interviewed by William F. Shatner, he’d try to keep him off balance.

Much like TOS, those two are a product of their times and have to be understood as such. Note that Kate didn’t get offended–she understood her situation in those terms too.

Well these people wouldn’t have had Trek shows if it weren’t for Shanter. so he get’s to be a pig a little! lol! TNG was allowed to exist because my generation loved and supported Trek movies. Roddenberry couldn’t get a meeting in holiwood after TMP until the reviews and $$ came in for STIV. So yes these people should all ( Well not Bakula) look at thier grand pianos and New York Appts and thank him for makeing thier jump from B actor to stars.