the adventures of Tintin

Trailer and one-sheet below…

//youtu.be/X0tfWj24eVY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0tfWj24eVY

Screenplay by…

FIST SHAKE MOFFAT!!!

Been looking forward to this for a while. Back when I was about 11 I read a whole bunch of these books, I could definitely see it being a pretty good movie series.

One thing about this that concerns me. I was looking at IMDB and there is no listing for the character of the Professor. He was an important character in the story, also this is where he is introduced for the first time in the books.

I do think this is a very good story to make into a movie.

It had not occurred to me previously that we need a new Tin Tin movie. Gigantic oversight on my part.

Well I just love tintin to the point of obsession as a child… not sure any movie can live up to what the source material means to me. So ill just enjoy it for what it is.

I heard rumors about this a few years ago. Thanks for the confirmation.
That’s what I wish Speed Racer would have looked like!

This looks really good. How well known is Tin Tin in the US? I’m asking because I listened to a movie podcast a while ago, think it was the Film Junk podcast and they didn’t really seem to know much about Tin Tin at all. Here in Europe, or at least Denmark, the cartoons are being shown regularly on tv and I remember getting the comic books from the school library when I was a kid. So it is a very popular franchise here, just wondering if that’s the case in the US as well or if they will be trying to reach a lot of people who don’t already know about Tin Tin with this movie.

Tintin is not that well known in the U.S. I have seen many of the English translations of books in bookstores, I don’t know of any showing of a cartoon series. To tell you the truth I don’t know how I even got into it.

Don’t know if that will really hurt the movie though. Adaptations of things that are not well known happen all the time, sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn’t.

Most of us can recognize Tin Tin, I think, and say, “hey, that guy is a big deal in Europe.”

I had a few Tin Tin books as a kid for some reason and a friend in college had a ton of the comics, which I borrowed & read. But in general he’s not well known.

Ok, has anyone seen this yet? Because I am here to say that it was totally awesome. I am a huge Tintin fan from childhood and was concerned this would not be treated with care. However I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Steven Speilberg is also a fan and did this with Peter Jackson. It was a wonderful adaptation to screen. Really channeled the comics well. The spirit of the characters (and the look) was done perfectly. Felt more like an Indiana Jones movie than a “cartoon” (animation was killer by the way). Anyway, If you haven’t seen it, go now. You won’t regret it!

Durzo

Yup, saw it today.

I really liked it. The 3D was not overdone, and the story held me. I’ll 'fess up to reading a bit of tintin in my younger years, and to my mind Messrs Jackson and Spielberg treated the character with respect.

I recommend a viewing!

Gaf

Saw it, felt very much like one of the books. I loved the little references to other books sprinkled throughout, my favorite was the stencil of the crab on the shipping containers.

I haven’t read any comics, but I thought the movie was amazing. I went to see it with someone I’m not exactly 100% fond of, so coming out of the theatre I was a little underwhelmed, but now looking back the movie that was great, and the experience wasn’t. Spielberg’s expert use of set pieces translates into some wild scenes in Tin Tin, and he really goes for it with the animation medium. The pirate ship battle was breath taking in my opinion. After all this pirate and square rigger fatigue from the last few years, it’s great to see a battle scene that still impresses and doesn’t rehash. The motorcycle chase scene was a perfect blend of cartoon impossibility and Indiana Jones style action adventure and he utilizes the medium to do an amazing single camera shot through the whole event.

For a kids movie, it is surprisingly adult. There is a drive by assassination scene, and Tin Tin himself is often depicted carrying a sidearm for his own protection. This is from the same guy who digitally removed the rifles from ET. Maybe Spielberg seens the George Lucas backlash and doesn’t want to follow down that path, or maybe his kids have grown up and he’s less worried about that sort of exposure, either way it was interesting to see this change. If you’re a parent, just read up before bringing a younger child. Nothing is done in a graphic or gory way, but there was some pretty heavy stuff, as well as all the drinking and being a drunken fool that the Captain does.

EDIT: Also, while viewing, watch for the use of 3D during transitions from scene to scene. I found some of the best use of 3D was during these transitions. The pirate battle scene, again, is of particular note for it’s transitions.

I agree that Tin tin seems more like a young adult graphic novel to me rather than a kids story. That is precisely why I enjoyed them as a kid. It seemed more grown up to me with the guns, action, etc. I loved the way the shooting/ action scenes were animated. Lots of cool backlighting of the characters faces by the muzzle flash in a way that was just very “Tintin”. Also, there were a lot of nods to the other comics as well all throughout the movie which was fun. It brought back a lot of memories of reading Tintin as a kid. I loved this movie and can’t wait for a sequel.

Durzo

Saw this last Sunday, it was everything that I expected and more. From someone who has read the series over and over again for 10 years, plus seen the cartoons that came out in the 90’s (I think), it took me back to those days, laying in bed reading one after the other. Thanks to my Uncle who collected them and STILL has them on a shelf somewhere in his house.
The animation was great, some of the best, sometimes it was hard to tell from animated to real. I really thought that they hit Allan spot on, everyone else seemed to have some sort of “visual querk” about them. Personally thought everyone’s noses were a bit to big, but aside from that no complaints. 3-D was good as well, not overly done.
Yeah I was looking for Professor Calculus, I walked out of the theatre thinking it’s going to be a bit of a scramble to find the actor to play him. The amount of big or bigger stars the used for voices, they HAVE to go big. Looking forward to Haddock saying Calculus is “acting the goat.” and watching the fireworks ensue on a big screen.

See it if you haven’t, we need more of these to be made!!

Very, very good point about TinTin carrying a pistol. I distinctly remember during the movie taking note of that little inclusion. Once again, I can’t help thinking they treated the character with complete respect: it’s something the comic Tin Tin would have done.

I can’t help thinking that JackBerg (SpielSon?) have tried to tap into the “nostalgic adult” audience as well as the young adult. If that was their goal, then I think they have succeeded rather well. I am seriously looking forward to movie #2.

Ps Audra…AUDRA!!! You’ll be happy to know Daniel Craig plays a character…oh yeah, Simon Pegg too. There’s real danger of this movie slipping under the wider audience radar so see it while you can.

Gaf

Yes, they did get the character of Allen perfectly, so perfect it was wierd. When I saw him on screen for the first time all these Tintin memories can flooding back to me and I just sat there grinning like an idiot. Also, when Haddok said “TEN THOUSAND THUNDERING TYPHOONS!” for the first time, the same thing happened. Smiled all the way through the movie. Don’t miss this one guys.

Durzo