Terra Nova 1x03 Instinct

Monday, 3 October 2011
8 PM Eastern/Pacific

Adorable soldier is adorable. :stuck_out_tongue:

Scary plant is scary.

First night out of prison and back with his wife? Those doors aren’t nearly thick enough to shield the children from irreparable psychological harm. :eek:

I really didn’t like this dude in Avatar, but I’m completely sold on his character in this.

Earth’s overpopulated. Just tell them to send more redshirts.

More to the point, are they able to communicate with the future? How does anyone know that they actually survived the trip?

There’s a Sixer mole, and the odds of running into Malcolm are staggering.

Guess that’s not too hard to put together. :rolleyes:

Jason o’Mara looks amazing on this show. He looked good in Life on Mars, but nowhere near this good. Dude’s frakkin’ ripped.

They still haven’t cured cancer by 2149? Well, that’s depressing. :frowning:

Jurassic Hitchcock! :eek:

“That’s how you know a boy likes you.” :smiley:

Oh, so he’s not evil. He’s just a douche. :rolleyes:

And the kids are forever damaged. :eek:

Agreed.

I was expecting something a bit more like what next week’s promo looked like tonight, but our household enjoyed the episode :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, we have viewing conflicts for Terra Nova (HIMYM/Sing-Off) so I can’t watch live. I wait for a the On-Demand a few days later. However, I’m really enjoying this show.

A few questions about the series so far:

1. Where the hell is Dr. Grant? - Seriously, it seems like they know nothing about dinosaurs. I dug that the douchey science guy was named Dr. Malcolm, but he didn’t seem to have any idea about dinosaurs. He seemed more a general biologist, which is fine, but shouldn’t there be a dino expert? Grant and Sattler knew more about living in the Cretaceous than there guys do.

2. How does time pass in the past relative to the future? - Taylor said it took a 118 days for the rest of his team to arrive, even though in the present they were right behind him. Does time pass at different speeds on either end of the portal? There was also a mention of Hope Plaza wanting to move up the date for the next pilgrimage. How does that work if time passes at different speeds? Does 1 minute = 118 days? So Hope Plaza is moving the next departure up by 30 seconds? Or was it simply a malfunction of the portal equipment that’s been fixed?

3) Are we dealing with a multiverse? - They made the point that the original probe never showed up in 2149, so they knew it was a parallel timeline. So, every time something goes through the portal, does it create a parallel timeline? Does every action they take in the past creates a new timeline?

This explains would the portal travel can only be one way. It would be literally impossible to go back, because once you step through the portal, you’ve entered a new quantum reality.

One more thing: if the trip is only one way, how can they send recruitment requests back through the portal? Or, for that matter, how does Hope Plaza know that everyone on the other side is okay? For all they know, everyone on the other end has been eaten by a T-Rex?

Obviously they have some way to communicate with 2149, so it will be interesting to see how it works. I’m looking forward to seeing this get explained on the show.