Tekkaman Blade (1992)

I had the good fortune to find this on Netflix recently (no dubs. Yay!), and I have to say, I’m impressed thus far after 6 episodes.

My Anime experience is a bit limited as of now. Last year, I developed a fascination with Gundam, watching all of the original series, a good chunk of Zeta, and the Gundam Wing movie, Endless Waltz. Then, my interest in Gundam fizzled, and thus my Anime interest with it, before recently Checking out Karas.

As far as Tekkaman Blade goes, I was, at first, a bit leary of yet another space Opera, in the vein of Gundam. But, I stuck it out, and I’m liking the story so far. The hero as an (alleged) amnesiac is a plot device I’m particularly fond of in these stories, adding mystery to the character. The action is well done, the comic relief characters are palatable, and the addition of evil Tekkaman warriors really sweetens the deal for me.

anyone else seen this series? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

I watched the dubbed version in the 90s. I tried picking up where I left off with the originals, but stalled. I got the series again a few weeks ago, but haven’t started a rewatch yet.

I consider the dub good, so I’m hoping I’ll find the originals better.

Oh god, I remember watching that on a defunct kids programing thing…on the WB maybe?

UPN or WB.

Funny thing is, I just restarted watching the original Japanese version last night. A lot bloodier. And Megumi Hayashibara has a lead role. Not as her normal perky persona which was the norm during this period either.

Forgot how annoying Noal was though.

UPN! Thats what it was. Might look this up on netflix now.