Taweret? I knew it!

Looks like the identity of the statue has been officially confirmed as the Egyptian goddess of fertility and birth: http://www.docarzt.com/lost/lost-news/speculation-over-the-statues-identity-officially-revealed/

In addition to the speculation in this article, I wonder whether the destruction of the statue has any connection to the difficulty people have had carrying babies to term on the Island.

I was kind of surprised at the casual way the identity was confirmed though; in the episode recap on the ABC site. Anyone have any confirmation from TPTB that this is indeed correct or did someone at ABC make an assumption and just stick it in there?

I may be alone in this, but I am a bit disappointed that the statue is of a specific god or goddess. It feels more fun and special when it is something familiar but unique to the show. Same goes for this Man Number Two. He can share traits with the literal Esau, but the second he is revealed to BE the literal Esau, like here with the literal Tawaret well, to me it just makes the scope so…limited.